Oztalgian

What are you listening to now ??

Followed by Nanci Griffith. 'Late Night Grande Hotel'.

It has to be said that my pretty decent hi-fi system sounds at its best late at night.  Lots of people find this and there are various theories/explanations.

1. Lack of external noise/distraction.

2. Closed curtains affecting room acoustics.

3. Less electrical interference on the mains supply.

4. Booze.

5. Etc...

:)

5.        Etc.   Couple of stiff scotches and a beer or two?   :biggrin:

Just kidding.

• Like 1

Marc time...

Also sad that Keith Harwood perished in the same place a week or so before..

Nod to Barclaycon!

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Followed by Nanci Griffith. 'Late Night Grande Hotel'.

It has to be said that my pretty decent hi-fi system sounds at its best late at night.  Lots of people find this and there are various theories/explanations.

1. Lack of external noise/distraction.

2. Closed curtains affecting room acoustics.

3. Less electrical interference on the mains supply.

4. Booze.

5. Etc...

:)

Don't you get moaned at, Col? I listen to music late night/early hours but on Grado headphones, even then I can't really crank them up or I've got my lad coming downstairs...'Dad...turn that bloody racket down ':wacko:

• Like 1

Yep.. she came home about half way through me playing R.E.M. 'Out of Time' for probably the first time in 20 years and made it pretty clear that I needed to turn the music off. :angry:

• Like 1

R.E.M.  Don't hear much about 'em anymore.  They were an Athens band. Had a photo of a railway trestle just outside of town on their album cover.  You may even have it.

• Like 1

For England & St.George Oi Oi englandflag

On 4/19/2019 at 11:00 AM, DJ360 said:

Yep.. she came home about half way through me playing R.E.M. 'Out of Time' for probably the first time in 20 years and made it pretty clear that I needed to turn the music off. :angry:

REM 'Shiny Happy People'.  Actually a very sarcastic song.. but a great one too.  The main girl in the vid is Kate from the B-52's

Which of course means we need a bit of B52 music...

And in other news.....

Dockers on, off to see Ferocious Dog at Rock City, be full of loony tunes :crazy:

DJ360 Thanks for the Joan Baez song. Another one of those memorable female voices. I've just spent an hour or so listening to it

Given that ANZAC day has just past, a day when Australia and New Zealand remembers all who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Joan did a version of the Eric Bogle's classic "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda"I cannot listen to this song without a lump in my throat.

Here is the original and the fitting words of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk,

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.”

• Like 1

Oz, I couldn't agree more about Joan B.  What an astonishing voice!.  She toured the UK (last year I think) with very strong hints that it was likely her last tour.. but I couldn't make it. In the 1960s Baez, and Dylan, were living legends, with almost 'God like' status.  I also love the Eric Bogle song, which was a regular feature at the assorted Folk Clubs I visited in the 70s and 80s.

This song.. Rambler, Gambler, is one of four which occur in a beautiful sequence on Joan Baez in Concert Part 2,  (Mono version) but the Youtube listing for that title has different songs. 

Railroad Bill

This one really showcases her 'picking' style.

I'll always enjoy these songs.

• Like 1

Yes DJ360 Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, Donovan, Arlo Guthrie all part of the soundtrack of my youth

Same here, and I'd add John Renbourn and Bert Jansch, either solo, duetting or with Pentangle. Also Anne Briggs, who was born close to Nottm.  Toton I think? I later learned about Ewan McColl. Great songwriter but evidently something of a 'Folk Music Fascist' with very strong views on 'authenticity' etc.

I'm wondering who the girl is in the video.  Might well be Anne Briggs as she was associated with Renbourn and Jansch around that time.

Let Youtube run on for more great tunes.

• Like 1

Some film on the telly in the background.  The soundtrack is pretty interesting and one song I recognise is this.. US. soul tune from J. J. Jackson  which we picked up around '67, and which later became a 'Northern Soul' staple.

If I had a Time Machine........

It's one of those Friday Nights...

Elton...  I'm not a fan of his later stuff but this song affected me deeply back then.  Staggeringly good, and underrated lyrics.  The Girl didn't hear them..  :( The album they are from is phenomenal.

Leslie Duncan was around for decades. She never quite 'broke through', but was a much loved lady.  R.I.P.

Really like Donovans Catch the Wind song. Not heard the one posted before so thank you for sharing! Love it. 

• Like 1

Good to see you posting Melissa.  Hope you are well.

So you like Donovan Eh?  Catch the Wind and 'Why Do You Treat Me..' are both pretty early Donovan songs.. based firmly in the folk tradition. as is this one..

Donovan also wrote these two classics..The first is moving a little towards 'Hippydom'

And the second is more psychedelic again...  It's said that Donovan was in love with Joan Baez. (What 60's bloke wasn't?)  But Joan Baez also sang Turquoise.

Joan's version.

• Like 1

1980 Grammy awards, Best Female vocal performance. 

And a beauuuuutiful hook:-

An evergreen oldie given the soul treatment by another of this gifted family network:-

• Like 3

• Like 1

Liking them Raddo...been on the Tannoy at Hotel Happiness- here.

Mary Black.

Dick Haymes is one of my favourite singers from before I was born.. Hearing Dick and my other favourite, the great dance band singer Helen Forrest, together is awsome.  I have both odf these songs on originall 78.

Al Bowlly was sort of British.  Actually Mozambiquan/South African born Brit I think. Hugely popular in 1930s.  Aparrently sold second only to 'Bing' in the United States.  Died in an air raid in London. 1941 I think. I like his style..

Did Al Bowlly sing the theme tune for Goodnight Sweetheart?

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Did Al Bowlly sing the theme tune for Goodnight Sweetheart?

He sang the original hit in 1931. The song in the TV series was sung by Nick Curtis.

I used to enjoy this program and if they turn it into a musical I hope it comes downunder

• Like 2