Oztalgian

What are you listening to now ??

Still doing the rounds and as popular as ever

One of my favourites was this one, covered by many artists over the years

Can you believe this jazz standard was written in 1917????

• Like 2

Joe's daughter Sam was a fine singer too. If I have this right, she is his daughter from his marriage to Vicki.. one of the original 'Vernon Girls' from Liverpool, who sadly died of cancer a good while ago.  I have her album 'Stop'  and also 'April Moon'.. which I think is about her Mum.. but I'd have to check that to be sure... haven't played it for many years.  I saw her at the Citadel in St Helens, around the time she had 'Stop' in the charts. She had her brother.. and bassist Herbie Flowers in the band.  She seemed to struggle with the idea that St Helens was 'Merseyside', but definitely NOT Liverpool.

Good show though...

A comment from her Youtube' entry for 'Stop'

After releasing three albums she married and had a couple of kids, then toured with Pink Floyd as backing singer and also on David Gilmour's solo tour, and continued touring with various other artists such as Gary Moore, George Harrison, Nick Cave and her father Joe Brown. She formed her own band Homespun that released three albums. After six solo albums and featuring on many others as a guest Sam had an operation to remove a cyst from her vocal chords which forced her to retire from singing in 2007. Now, at the age of 51, she teaches at the Academy of Contemporary Music, founded the Fabulous Ukulele Club (she plays the ukulele as well) and fundraises for cancer charities in memory of her mother.

I think it's easy for us to forget that musicians and 'stars'.. even 'minor stars'  have lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK4WMWslzbg

And yesterday.. at the Bristol Hi Fi show, I was reminiscing about the time I played this tune VERY LOUD at a Hi Fi Show near Chesterfield about 1997.  I played it so loud via wardrobe sized Tannoy Corner Horn speakers and massive valve amps.. that the chap in the room next door shut his music off. I apoligised later and we laughed about it yesterday...

Worth playing loud though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy8dZEpEYrA

Bloody Youtube isn't playing tonight... you'll have to click on the link!!

20 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Joe's daughter Sam was a fine singer too. If I have this right, she is his daughter from his marriage to Vicki.. one of the original 'Vernon Girls' from Liverpool, who sadly died of cancer a good while ago.  I have her album 'Stop'  and also 'April Moon'.. which I think is about her Mum.. but I'd have to check that to be sure... haven't played it for many years.  I saw her at the Citadel in St Helens, around the time she had 'Stop' in the charts. She had her brother.. and bassist Herbie Flowers in the band.  She seemed to struggle with the idea that St Helens was 'Merseyside', but definitely NOT Liverpool.

Good show though...

A comment from her Youtube' entry for 'Stop'

I think it's easy for us to forget that musicians and 'stars'.. even 'minor stars'  have lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK4WMWslzbg

Vicki was a member of The Breakaways.

• Like 1

Heard this on the radio the other day, Joe Brown - Picture of You

Classic intro on the mandolin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc7y6d9CvCA