Anyone interested in Tractors

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to be, but now I'm an extractor fan.

Well blow me down !!!

This site’s starting to look like ‘The Farmers Weekly’ ! 

What about  Lincolnshire Limo, perfect for taking the kids out of a Sunday afternoon

Heckington2012_(17).jpg

Rog

• Like 2

A Barford roller of 1920's vintage

IMAG0001-2.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg,,Chain driven off a Petter engine, in a mates yard down the village

Rog

The amount of old kit lying around in the fields and barns of Lincolnshire must be massive. Back in my Fergie days there was a chap called John Popplewell who lived at Snelland, near Market Rasen, who had barns and fields full of old grey Fergies. I often saw him at farm auctions buying even more. I think the planners were trying to get him to shift them. He’s gone to the great tractor land in the sky now but he is succeeded by his son Mark who I think deals in old tractors from the old village station yard. I must drop by and have a look the next time I go to Hemswell.

I think all farmers are the same Phil, can't bare to part with owt, the farmyard where I go shooting has a few barns full of old stuff even horse tack from when his grandfather used to do the farming, old head collars,reins all sorts of stuff to hitch a workhorse to an implement, Scythes hanging on the wall, horse hames, series two Landy in the openside barn, unbelievable amount of stuff, even a Bedford TK lorry

Rog

Just an example of what he's hung onto

Vauxhall Firenza

DSC_0000006.jpg

Bedford TK

P1100208.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Yes, there’s a disused farmyard to the back of us. The fields are let out to Hammonds, one of the big farmers in the area, but the buildings contain all sorts of old kit and the farmhouse hasn’t been occupied for years and is just crumbling away. I noticed a similar disused farmhouse near to you when I was coming from Navenby recently. You probably know the one I mean.

My Ford Excavator, (shares a lot of parts with Ford tractors), with my Son on his very large smallholding, going to rescue the next door neighbour who was turning grass in one of my Son's fields and had forgotten that there was a very large gulley running across the field.

BJvU0k4.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I noticed a similar disused farmhouse near to you

Been like that for over twenty years that I know to, apparently the guy who bought it was refused planning permission to modernise it, or knock it down and start again

The farmyard I put the photo's on is not abandoned it is a fully working farm

Rog

For all you tractor and farming equipment fans

The Wurzels did The Tractor Song, a Spoof on the Pushbike Song

They also did The Combine Harvester song too

From what I see round here the farmers compete to see who can have the largest tractor. It might be ok for the Lincolnshire prairies where Rog lives but round here the fields are much smaller and the tractors are churning up the roadside verges and the rainwater can’t drain away.

• Like 1

I became an expert on combine harvesters. Some years ago I used to help a farmer friend maintain his old Massey. Many’s the time I’ve been grovelling about in the hopper and doing welding repairs in my workshop with my MIG welder. We used to go to a combine harvester graveyard at Fenn Lane down the A1 where a man in an old electric milk float would cut off the parts you required with his welding torch. No finesse of unbolting anything!

Still get the same problems here Phil, just around the corner from me is a narrow lane (Sands lane) only used by cars and the odd small truck, anyway because the verge was getting damaged by cars driving on it the council (bless em) decided to widen part of the road by about a yard, yet still the verge is getting chopped up by car drivers, just how wide does a road have to be?

Rog

A bit of ambitious cornering when your trailer is full of spuds

Springfield Spalding Lincs

Mary-2011-032.jpg

Mary-2011-033.jpg

The lady in the hi viz vest was shouting at me NOT to take any pictures because it looked bad on the shopping outlet

Rog

• Like 1

On the above thread, you have to give Crisp answers, while you have a taste for it.

Running out of ideas now, so I'll have to put on my Walkers and go and see if I can earn a packet.

• Like 1

On the subject of vehicles turning over, I remember my dad many years ago was driving his 20 tonner, taking a load of coal to a coalyard in Essex, ( near Braintree I think). Anyroad, he was travelling along the old A52 just past Bottesford, approaching a low railway bridge, (now gone) when he skidded on some black ice and slid into a ditch with the lorry tipping half its load into the adjoining field. It finished up at a 45° angle. When the recovery crew went to retrieve it the following day......Every bit of coal had disappeared overnight !

It made front page of N.E.P.

• Like 2
On 4/29/2024 at 5:36 PM, plantfit said:

Vauxhall Firenza

DSC_0000006.jpg

I had a white version of that in the late 1970s.  Not the best car I ever owned.

• Like 1

This one is in pretty good condition once you get past all the farm muck, the bodywork is very good for Vauxhalls of that decade, 

Rog

Is it a runner Rog? Or have you not tried to start it.

It's not mine Barrie but the engine is in good order according to the farmer, he also has a two series Landy and some sort of Mitsubishi 4x4 in another barn as well as about four old tractors all working condition, 

Rog

The Landy’s worth a punt Rog. Would fetch a good price when restored. You know you want a project! :biggrin:
I like Landys. I had one back in ‘97 ‘till it got nicked. Swb County diesel in red. Keep looking at them now but they’re quite pricey.

• Like 1