• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I wasn't hoping for much and wasn't disappointed. All Indian food tastes pretty much the same to me. A high end Indian restaurant, Ghurka One, in nearby Rolleston has just closed down to be repla

So sad Rog.......all towns and Cities are going the same way........our World is becoming unrecogniseable from the one we knew and grew up with......and its not for the better.........

Between Castle gate and Middle gate there is a small alleyway and at the entrance off Castle gate are these unusual bricks set into the wall about twelve to fifteen inches from the ground, the story i

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

So sad Rog.......all towns and Cities are going the same way........our World is becoming unrecogniseable from the one we knew and grew up with......and its not for the better.........

Very true Ban, was down Newark market this morning, gone is the buzz of the old markets and the local council have cut out two of the market days now so only three market days, it seems like the council want to shut down the town center, we stopped going to Worksop market a couple of years ago for the same reason, not many market stalls and closed down shop the place is now so run down,such a shame for the people who live there

Rog

• Like 1

Town/city centres have been struggling to compete with out of town supermarkets and retail centres for quite a while. Add the internet and online shopping, and it’s no wonder that markets and small shops can’t compete.

• Like 1

It’s down to how we want to shop though. Motorists have been driven out of town centres by lack of kerbside parking and are directed to multi storey car parks that cost a fortune. We can go to the out of town ‘sheds’, park for free and easily carry our shopping to the car. The Covid lock down forced us into shopping on line and we know we can get a next day delivery without the cost and trouble of leaving the house. There are a few people who enjoy going round the shops but they are a in a minority. Where I live it’s at least a ten mile round trip to buy anything and that’s just to Southwell where there’s a limited and expensive choice. Today we did a big grocery shop at Morrisons Netherfield (a twenty mile round trip) as we like to examine the quality of the meats and vegetables. During the week we drove down the A1 to Downtown outside Grantham to buy shoes for my wife but we could have bought any number of household and garden items. There was ample free parking. We’ve not been into the Victoria Centre for years. If we want something from John Lewis we buy on line. If we want to view electrical goods we go to the free car park outside Currys in Newark. Town centres are going downmarket and becoming no go areas. What would we go into Nottingham for now?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

What would we go into Nottingham for now?

There is very little reason to go into Nottingham now; there are very few shops left selling anything. South of the Market Square - down towards what used to be Broad Marsh - is a ghost town.

• Like 1

I used to love Nottingham. It was a vibrant city. We lived in Woodthorpe, only a cheap bus ride away. We moved to the countryside in 1962 when I was 19 but I spent all my working life in and around the City. Prior to having a car a 15 minute walk would get me to the station where there was a train at least every hour (more at commuting times). Now only a few trains stop even though there is a demand. There is no station parking. A bus stop is a two mile walk away, other than the one bus that passes through the village on three days a week between Lowdham and Newark. Villages are no longer the rustic idylls they once were. They are ‘posh’ commuter suburbs where the Range Rover brigade live. Our ‘simple village folk’ work in Nottingham as lawyers, accountants, medical professionals and similar. Nobody wears a smock and chews a straw anymore. Most commute by car because of the poor transport services. Back in the 60’s I used to travel in on the train with a director of Boots who commuted onwards to the Beeston factory and I knew someone who worked in London who drove to Newark station and caught an East Coast Mainline train daily! Not a yokel to be seen here now - only me!

• Like 1

I used to work with a bloke back in the mid 80s, whose highlight of the week was to go and 'Do the shops' with his wife and daughter every Saturday. Down into Nottingham and stop and have coffee mid morning. Sometimes without buying anything. Just enjoyed all the browsing. Me, I could'nt be arsed. If I needed something it would be a quick trip find what I wanted, then bugger off. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

There is very little reason to go into Nottingham now; there are very few shops left selling anything. South of the Market Square - down towards what used to be Broad Marsh - is a ghost town.

I have actually found that there is more to go into Ilkeston for than there is to go into Nottingham.

• Like 2

Same here Barrie. If I want to buy anything of value I do my research online and possibly view it at an out of town store. I then buy from whoever gives the best warranty. I’m thinking of changing my wife’s car and I drove to the Nottingham Mercedes showroom yesterday dressed in my country yokel clothes. Nobody acknowledged me and asked if they could assist. It was good to browse undisturbed. I’m sure they used the aerosol spray after I’d left. :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I cannot remember the last time I went shopping in Nottingham I used to take the wife quite often. I enjoyed these trips as I never went into the shops unless I could sit down with a coffee,  the rest of the time I stood outside people watching. Anything I want for myself I purchase online. 

As for Nottingham changing several months ago my Karcher pressure washer failed instead of as before just buying a new one I found there was a repair centre on Daleside Road, so off I set. I knew the area quite well so I thought. I found new major roads, bridges  and little areas with major stores in them, I never found where I wanted to go and the traffic was flying about everywhere. I was lost frustrated and ready to exploded with annoyance, I set the sat nav with my post code and off I went, I still found new roads, well its many many years since I have been over that way and never to go again.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just as well you didn’t find the Karcher place, @trogg. It’s moved out to the new business park on the A612 towards Burton Joyce. 

I went in there a few weeks ago to try to get some replacement nylon washers for my patio cleaner, only to find they don’t stock spare parts and could only order what I needed if I gave them the part numbers and serial number of the pressure washer for them to get the parts posted to me.

It’s not really a parts and repair centre. It’s just a sales showroom.

• Like 1

I had a Karcher pressure washer, great product, did sterling work over many years but sadly died of old age when parts were no longer available. Because I had such a good experience with their pressure washer I bought one of their workshop vacuums. I have to say that it was the worst product I have ever purchased. Fell over at the slightest excuse, filter not up to the job and needed cleaning all the time otherwise no suction and whoever designed the tubing needed shooting as the step in the joints were in line with the flow of debris and caught every odd shaped item that was sucked up and continually caused blockages due to poor suction. So peed off with it one day that I took to it with a lump hammer and despatched it to the scrap yard in the sky. I now have a Ryobi 1500 watt with a 30 litre tub, brilliant bit of kit, just have to be careful not to get it near anything you don't want sucking up as it has fearsome suction.

• Like 1

I've got one of those. A little smaller than than yours as mine doesn't have the hose reel on it. Well pleased with it. I bought Nilfisk because of previous bad experience with Karcher, continually leaking and then finally splitting altogether. And it wasn't very old.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, plantfit said:

I do like my Nilfisk pressure washer with additive tank, nice bit of kit

Does it need an old jack plane to operate it?..

32 minutes ago, Brew said:

Does it need an old jack plane to operate it?..

Keeps it level

Rog

• Like 1
22 hours ago, philmayfield said:

hey are ‘posh’ commuter suburbs where the Range Rover brigade live. Our ‘simple village folk’ work in Nottingham as lawyers, accountants, medical professionals and similar.

In my youth I was a 'van lad' making deliveries around villages like Scarrington, the Cropwells etc. This was the late 50's and there were any number of tumbledown cottages just abandoned, many with the remnants of a thatched roof. No one wanted them, it was the age of the high rise, city living was the thing. Now even a small one will cost you 500k+. and the only ones who can afford to buy them are the so called professionals...

Even the small farms round here are no more. The old lads have passed on and the land is now farmed by larger organisations. Our meadow is one of the few in private hands but not big enough for those guys to take a farming interest. As a building site it would be worth millions but that won’t happen. For me the views are worth millions.

• Like 2