• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I wasn't hoping for much and wasn't disappointed. All Indian food tastes pretty much the same to me. A high end Indian restaurant, Ghurka One, in nearby Rolleston has just closed down to be repla

So sad Rog.......all towns and Cities are going the same way........our World is becoming unrecogniseable from the one we knew and grew up with......and its not for the better.........

Between Castle gate and Middle gate there is a small alleyway and at the entrance off Castle gate are these unusual bricks set into the wall about twelve to fifteen inches from the ground, the story i

• 2 weeks later...

The proprietor of G H Porter was hoping to find someone to take over the business but he must be living in hope rather than expectation. With Waitrose, Morrisons, M & S Food and Asda all being in the town centre or periphery, all with on-site parking, shoppers have deserted the independent food shops.  There used to be free parking in the market place on non-market days which seems remarkable now.

On the subject of Worksop, last week l paid my first visit for many years (on the Robin Hood line) and was shocked by the devastation of the town centre. Worksop makes Newark look prosperous. As a shopping centre it was hit badly by the opening of Meadowhall but that was in the 1980s and it has clearly been downhill from there with long-vacant shops and pubs decaying. Two bright spots were a traditional menswear shop, Waddingtons, which has somehow survived and the bus station which puts Newark's puny effort to shame.   

• Like 1

There used to be a large carpark on Lombard St., very close to Newark town centre. It made shopping in the market place so easy. The council allowed an Asda supermarket to be built on that site so it must have affected the town centre footfall. We never go into the marketplace now although we do use Waitrose.
As for Worksop, it’s been a rundown town for a long time but there’s a magnificent farm shop just up the road at the Dukeries Garden Centre. It’s not cheap but the quality of the produce is excellent. We bought pork chops, chicken breasts and a steak and kidney pie last week, all of which were superb. I wish it was as close by as our favourite farm shop at Gonalston which burned down over a year ago, never to reopen.

• Like 1

I agree with you about Worksop Newarker, the place has really gone down hill, it's as if the locals have given up and been forgotten by the local council, the market is half of what it used to be and even the canal bank is giving up the ghost and started to fall into the water

DSCF1550.jpg

DSCF1554.jpg

Rog

Perhaps they're building a new 'Traitors Gate' Rog. Then any miscreants can be taken straight to the pokey. :ph34r:

It's a shame to see the place decline at such a rapid rate Barrie and looking at the state of the place I think the pokey would be a better alternative

Rog

I sometimes wonder if some of these towns and villages owe

their sad decline to the closure of local collieries. I realise that's not always the case. A late friend said, 'you can always recognise when the rot sets in, when you see charity shops sprouting up all over'.

• Like 1

Very true Barrie, yes the closure of the collieries didn't help but the local councils have failed to invest in their towns and the rot has set in, Retford is not too bad yet but you can see a slight decline by shops closing and the weekly markets getting smaller, Newark as well, charity shops, nail bars, cafe's,like Phil says the out of town retail parks have took away nearly all of the trade away from the town centers and pay to park your car doesn't help, a few years ago we used to go up the A1 to Barnsley once a month for their Saturday market, free car parking on market days the place was buzzing but since the new market building has been finished and I think car park charges bought into force the decline in footfall is noticeable, is it down to greedy councils wanting more for doing less I don't know but one thing is for sure it's certainly not for the better

Rog

• Like 1

We are having the same problem down here. Our county town, Lewes, which is just down the road from us, is getting loads of boarded up shop fronts on our high street. As has been noted on local tv. It's sad to see our central bus station, all shuttered up and due for redevelopment. A lovely Art Deco building too.

• Like 1

People just don’t seem to go out anymore to buy things, other than to out of town stores where they can park. Everything comes to them. If I go into the village at school ‘bus time I see lots of youngsters but otherwise they crawl back into the woodwork and plonk away on their keyboards. I do see lots of white delivery vans though and large parcel boxes on gateposts. The internet governs everyday life now. Even pubs are quiet (probably due to the prices when compared with supermarkets). On Monday night there were only three customers, including me, in my local between 8.30 and 10.15 pm.

• Like 1

by shopping on line your purchases/ amounts spent/buying habits are all monitored by the banks and retailers, you are being watched and by visiting out of town retail parks your image and or motor vehicle registration details are being recorded for the same reasons, big brother knows your every move from what shops/stores you visit and the frequency of those visits, is this what the powers that be want by encouraging you to shop in these retail parks where you drive into the car park, visit whatever shops/stores are in that park, whereas in towns you have a choice of car parks and are monitored through that town on the various cctv cameras, card payments are monitored once again to see how much you have spent on what items and at what frequency, modern society I suppose

P1090149-2.jpg

You are not immune from being spied on when you are in the "safety" of your own home because all mobile/smart phones are traced when and where they are used and with all this new tech stuff in homes today who knows whats being monitored, just a few thoughts

Rog

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Being spied on doesn’t bother me. I’ve always been honest. Having spent seven years within the accountancy profession and twenty five years as a General Commissioner of Income Tax, ruling on tax appeal cases, I can spot a rogue at forty paces!

• Like 1

Though I can't control or avoid it I hate the idea of my every move monitored and recorded. the cry of "if you do nothing illegal why does it bother you" doesn't wash with me.

My finances are legal but I don't want every one knowing my business, so too my health, love life,  pastimes, phone calls and messages etc.

At uni, which is some years ago now there was a girl who worked for a loyalty card company.

She even told me when my daughter moved out just from the info on a loyalty card. Other things she said were amazingly accurate 

Time and technology has moved and I've no doubt they can extrapolate even finer details now.

• Like 2

Very well said Brew,I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of but I don't want everyone knowing my business

Rog

• Like 2

You also notice it when you visit websites which have adverts down the side, or among the main text.

The adverts change depending on who you are and what you’ve recently been looking at online.

The algorithms see what you’ve been browsing, and then play adverts connected to your searches.

• Like 1

I always choose cookie settings for each site I visit and only keep the ones that are absolutely necessary in order to view the site.

Occasionally there is no option to ‘manage ’ cookies so I just press ‘reject all’.   It usually still works,

what do others do?

• Like 1

You won't see any different your end. It's at the other end where the data flows to. Another way to collect info on your PC usage is the old TSR programs, You close a program but parts of it are still active sending reports of what you do, where you go and the things you seem interested in. 

Look at the processes still running in task manager, most will be seemingly innocuous and many have to be running. but who knows what they're doing?

I closed Edge some time ago, yet there are still 5 instances showing, wh?. The official answer is to make programs start quicker and maybe they do, but modern machines are so powerful we're talking milli seconds - so why does task manger tell me they are active and not dormant? 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Another old established shop closed in Newark this week, Osborn Stationers on Kirk gate, soon be nothing left in the town

Rog

I first walked around Newark in 1962 when we came to live in the area. It was a delightful little market town with an impressive cobbled market square. It continued to be so until the supermarkets moved in, not in the outskirts but close to the town centre. It was always a bit of a rough place in the evenings though due to rival gangs of ‘travellers’ having punch ups in the pubs. I was there yesterday but only to shop at Waitrose. It seems odd that Newark has got the only large Waitrose in the county but there are a lot of posh Waitrose type customers in the nearby villages. Not me of course!

• Like 1

If I wish to go to Waitrose, just for a bottle of Sandemann port  (can't find any other reason to go to Waitrose) for me at Eastwood its a trip to either Newark or Buxton.

Are there no Waitrose any nearer Pianoman? Or even in Nottingham. Seems a long way to go from Eastwood to Buxton or Newark. You may as well come to Lewes or Burgess Hill.