I can remember at least three boys in my class at Mellish who came from Hucknall. One became a deputy High Sheriff of Nottingham and Derby, one held a senior research post at ICI and another was a professor at McGill University in Canada. They must have learnt comprehensible English at some stage in their careers. I met the deputy sheriff in Waitrose a few years ago and there was still a trace of the accent. You can take a boy out of Hucknall but ………………… I came from Woodthorpe where everyone talked posh!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

@philmayfield I don’t think I talk posh and I come from Woodthorpe!  But we often don’t ‘hear’ our own accent…

Anyone  who has heard me speaking…… do I talk posh?

I  hope that a new member who has joined us doesn't live in Hucknall, just read back on your comments. We all use a little slan now and again Its not Nottingham its sang from Nottinghamshire,   When I speak to my brother in Germany who has lived there 50 or so years when he says goodbye it's always  "tororw  m' duck"  so it just goes to show you never lose it.

On 7/17/2023 at 3:43 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

So that's what he looks like! When I saw him, he was wearing a menu on his head. :rolleyes:

And here he is (sort of) complete with said menu

P1050974.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

They seek him here, they seek him there, they seek the blighter everywhere, but if you do manage to catch up with him he's a great fella

Rog

• Like 1
18 hours ago, mary1947 said:
18 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Your wrong OZ  and the linguistic experts are The North of England starts at the bottom of the M1    

There is a big sign saying 

""To The North""

Ain't it right ??

The sign says "To the North" not "The North" but I agree many southerners believe that the north starts at Watford Gap.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

They do say the ladies find him irresistible!:Shock:

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Wetherspoons, The Sir William Peveril in Bulwell, Beekay.

Thank you ma'am. I'm indebted to you.

PS Re the 'North', down yer where I be, they think anybody North of the Thames is a Scot !!

• Like 1

My late brothers, God rest em, used to say I'd 'gone posh '. Just because I'd started saying cold instead of cowd, also you instead of yo. I try to pronounce my aitches in the right place. It's the only way they can understand me down yer.

• Like 1

And people who try to put it on and make out they're posh/upper class/better than us ragamuffins, I'm owd school Nottingham and proud of it and certainly don't try to be sommat I'm not

Rog

55 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

There’s nothing ‘posh’ about speaking correct English. It’s only the affected accents of the so called ‘upper classes’ that irritate me.

Like ‘house’ being pronounced so it rhymes with ‘mice’

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MargieH said:

Like ‘house’ being pronounced so it rhymes with ‘mice’

Or in the case of an old Notts lad, House being pronounced as ar$e, as in to cummin rahnd to our ar$e

Rog

• 3 weeks later...

Although Bulwell not as busy as it once was...........reckon its still busier than most places.around Notts.....even busier than larger places like Mansfield.......i believe a lot of it is down to the free parking everywhere..........@Beekay Wilko's is on the corner facing the Market .....used to be the Coop.....

Some of The things Bulwell has going for it....apart from the Free Parking....

Lovely  Church ...over looking it.......

Despite its name......''The Bogs''

Bus Station....

Railway station...

The Tram...

Market..4 days per week...

2 golf courses

Bulwell common and the beautiful Bulwell Hall Park...

Oh yes and its lovely humour of its People.....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I seemed to spend most of my summer holidays either on Bulwell Hall Park or Bulwell bogs as a child. Back in them days us kids could roam anywhere we liked.  Mam used to kick us out in the morning with the words "goo an' play outside an' don't come back till teatime!"

• Like 1