I remember walking through that very front door and up the wide staircase. The company chairman was Don Stocker from Bingham. He was a magistrate. We used to lunch in the pub next door which served indifferent food! The accountant was an old chap called Mr. Dodd who worked part time and lived on Watcombe Circus. I used to visit him at his home. He very kindly offered to buy me a gift when I passed my final exam but I never got round to accepting it!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

A True Bulwell Gent..........in the flooded main st 1947.....May be a black-and-white image of 3 people

• Like 1

Goes to remind me why I left Bulwell in the first place.

• Like 1

I know lets make a video of Bulwell that makes it look like the worst place on Earth.........

Pick a day when its raining.....

Pick a time or day when there is hardly anyone about...

Make sure its when most of the shops are shut for the day...so it looks as if theyv'e closed down...

Make sure there is no market...and just show empty stalls......

Disgusting............

56 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

I know lets make a video of Bulwell that makes it look like the worst place on Earth.........

Pick a day when its raining.....

Pick a time or day when there is hardly anyone about...

Make sure its when most of the shops are shut for the day...so it looks as if theyv'e closed down...

Make sure there is no market...and just show empty stalls......

Disgusting............

And get someone who's not got a Bulwell accent to make it, if they dislike the place that much there's nowt stopping them from leaving

Rog

I can claim an affinity with Bulwell after 7 years at Mellish but Highbury Vale and Kersall Drive wasn’t Bulwell ‘proper’. However I did have a schoolfriend from Hucknall whose father kept the garage at the 44 ‘bus terminus. He introduced me to a few Bulwell girls which was a bit of an eye opener for an innocent lad from Woodthorpe! :biggrin:

• Like 1

By crikey Phil., you certainly know how to live life in the fast lane. Allus said I was in awe of you.

• Like 1

Just watched CTs video again, all the way through.

Thats 45 minutes of my life wasted and will never get back. I 'm not referring to the subject of content, but one of the worst videos I've watched. Could'nt make any sense of the commentary, it were more like mumbling. Could'nt see the point in any of it.

And where's the Penguin caff? Or Fords !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

it were more like mumbling.

Exactly my point about a non native Bulwellian trying to narrate a video about Bulwell, he would have been better making a video of Radford/Hyson Green if you know what I mean

Rog

• Like 1
12 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It’s just that the Woodthorpe girls were more prim and had been cautioned by their mothers to be wary of men. The Bulwell girls were, shall we say, ‘more outgoing’.

OHHHHH !!! Phil you should not say such things all girls in those day  were well brought up just because you thought Woodthorpe were prim and ladies,  it is not the girls ? its the boys eg ( I will not say from what planet they are from)  but I remember some thing like this?   Go on ?? just let me have a feel . you can have a feel on mine if you let me feel yours? I promise you won't get pregnant (NO PILL IN THOSE DAYS!!!)   So please please don't blame any of the Bulwell girls.

On 12/20/2023 at 7:29 PM, LizzieM said:

Another gesture that I thought had gone out of fashion, amongst the young, is holding a shop door open for the person following them in.  This week in town I’ve been pleased to report numerous young folk have held the door open for me.  

I always hold the door open for folk......young or old male or female........odd times don't even get a thank-you............but mostly a nice smile........

Mind you i once held the door open fo a little old man.......he wasn't looking and FELL straight in.....i did help him up   when i'd finished laughing.......:laugh:

• Like 1

My friend opened the door at Marks and held it open for a woman to go in before him, the woman said I hope you are not holding it open just because I am a female . My friend said no I only held it because I thought you was a lady, I was obviously wrong, with that he went in and closed the door after him. Some times good manners go wrong.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Beekay said:

Just watched CTs video again, all the way through.

Thats 45 minutes of my life wasted and will never get back. I 'm not referring to the subject of content, but one of the worst videos I've watched. Could'nt make any sense of the commentary, it were more like mumbling. Could'nt see the point in any of it.

And where's the Penguin caff? Or Fords !

The walking tour of Nottingham in that same group of videos is really good.

40 minutes ago, MRS B said:

The walking tour of Nottingham in that same group of videos is really good.

As CT posted the clip, I have no idea of which group of videos to which you refer.

Your servant Ma'am.

1 hour ago, MRS B said:

Much obliged Mrs. Buttercup ! lips0

Who needs Skeg.....where else in NOTTINGHAM  compares   to this..........No photo description available.

• Like 2

1907...........SAME TODAY      thanks to Paul Turton for photos...  No photo description available.No photo description available.

• Like 2

I have many happy days spent in that area, you had no more than a fishing net, a jam jar and loads of friends to spend a most enjoyable day. When I grew older the young ladies brought even more enjoyment.

PS the wildlife around the Leen is also great.

• Like 2