Hockley Over The Years

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here it is.  Take it away, Ben!     His name was Ben - Oh! He was a grocer. He'd slice your bacon with a squeeze. Slap and tickle with your cheese! "Let's see your h

The view in 1970 from Cranbrook House which was built on the site of a 15th century burial ground.   

Photos of Hockley over the years on Post website.   https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/gallery/38-pictures-looking-back-hockley-3364947

My friend’s Dad was the main contractor working for Westminster Brick Company who built Cranbrook House, and also Walton House on MMW, and in fact also the estate I grew up on in Arnold.  
When they were digging the foundations of Cranbrook House her Dad brought home a human skull, complete with teeth.  My friend took it to school (Haywood) and it was then subsequently stolen from the Biology Lab, later to be found buried by the nearby old railway line.  Someone found it, it was somehow traced back to Haywood School, then to my friend, and the police were knocking on their door, investigating a possible murder!! 

Re Cranbrook House

Got an invite,tip off

Remember an intercom outside, didn't know the password, so pressed the buzzer (top left?), 

Really fuzzy here!;) ..yearwise

Strange building, very much a Tardis, upstairs, stud walls with windows, I confess, I was three sheets!!

If recall amp's etc were in house.

About.three bands playing, great experience

Love to know more about it"s usage and history

• 5 months later...
On 9/30/2019 at 9:34 AM, denshaw said:

A lot of memories of Hockley, Joy Huchinsons shop, mother of actress Sherry Hewson.The Moon cafe, had a mate who worked in Price and Beale outfitters. Jeffs fashion, anyone remember Pigalle club?

Yes, remember the Pigalle! It was originally on Drury Hill and was a bit of a gambling den as well! I remember punters throwing 10 Bob notes on the Roulette table instead of chips! 10 bob would have seen me halfway through my Friday night jaunt in '60s Nottingham!

Remember Drury Hill? I had to do my driving test 3 point turn down there!

7 hours ago, Arnold Mick said:

Remember Drury Hill? I had to do my driving test 3 point turn down there!

In my recollection of the street, you’d struggle to turn your bike round n’er mind a car. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Beekay said:

That's what I were thinking too.

17 hours ago, LizzieM said:

In my recollection of the street, you’d struggle to turn your bike round n’er mind a car. 

Just a joke folks. Just a joke!

Can any kind person tell me how to get rid of this bloody spelling correction and predictive text nonsense !