• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

2-3 Quid a ride you guys must be rich

Nope, but I love the atmosphere of it. We've printed a couple of money off vouchers, I'm sure paige will have a go on hook-a-duck and a small ride.

Then I'm off to lunch with a friend... So I better not spend too much at the fair! :)

It's more about the atmosphere than the rides to me. all the different senses stimulated at the same time can't be a bad thing.

I love the atmosphere and the smells. I love seeing kids having fun while their parents drag their feet behind them with sour faces. I like to watch people on the bigger rides looking terrified while I stand and think 'better you than me!' The last time I went, I must of been around 16, a boyfriend at the time took me with a group of friends. It was night time... We eat so many mushy pea's, candly floss and whatever else... Possibly wasn't the best idea to eat all that followed by a few of the big/spinning rides after we not long necked a sneaky bottle of vodka on the way there!

This year ill be much more civilized :)

It's over 46 years since I went to the fair, just an excuse for a pee up with me and the lads, with most pubs in Radford having late opening licenses back then.

No doubt, last time I was back in the old country was around late 92, stopped with my Sister at Hucknall, and didn't recognize that small town, it had altered so much!

Went shopping around town with Sis, Mum and Dad, and was glad to get away from the place, was so crowded!! Not used to large crowds anymore, after living a rural life since 1975.

Dunno why but I still think of 1975 as not long ago. Was in Sydney back in those days where my lad was born. The fair today is nothing to shout about, but it's a tradition over 20 years that I go with my daughter. First went when she was 5 and starting school. Now she's 25 and starting a PhD. Still in education after all these years.

I saw so many changes in Sydney, when I lived in Oz, I have photos I took with my first 35mmSLR looking through the bridge arches at the Opera house, impossible now, the city planners in their wisdom built something blocking the view. Darling harbour changed a lot too as did the Rocks area.

I lived and worked in Wollongong for over two years and visited Sydney many times. Then moved to Bathurst, but still did day trips to Sydney and the "Gong", loved Sydney, beautiful vibrant city.

My ten years down under were not wasted.

My brother was lead scaffolder on the opera house in the 60s. I worked at Darling Harbour when I joined the railways in '74. I lived there for about 16 years. I used to go to the 'gong' as a guard on the coal trains down to Pt Kembla/Cringila. Best job ever. My Mum was buried in Bathurst about 4 months ago.

Sorry to hear that...Bathurst was one of the better cities I lived in, I worked near Lithgow up the Newnes Road at Angus Place Colliery. 100 miles round trip to and from work everyday, but well worth it, was a nice drive.

Sorry are you getting a bit flushed? OK we'll put the lid down on the subject.

Hey. I remember a few years ago going to the 700th Goose Fair. How many is this one?

719th and its chucking it down.

noblue If there's one thing that puts the damper on things when it's 'Goose Fair' time, it's Rain!; and as I sit here typing it's coming down by the bucket load. :ohmy:

Fingers crossed the weather forecast lives up to its prediction and the rain only lasts for today - don't fancy walking around 'Goose Fair' in 'Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud'.

• Upvote 2

:ohmy: Sorry folks but apparently this 'hard rains a gonna fall'* 'til Friday; will have to save going down 'Goose Fair' 'til Saturday, unless...................here's hoping, fingers crossed......................... :biggrin:

*Credit to Bob Dylan

I had planned to go on Friday morning! I hope it's not just sludge... I don't own any wellies!

I can remember it being grass and mud when I was a kid... I havent been in years.

1b80615e-5844-46a1-aedd-af83481cf782.jpg

I just thought I would share this with you all. This was won on the darts at Goose Fair in late 1970s / early 1980s. We had two bottles, but the really twisted one got broke. This has the original liquid in! I imagine it's quite explosive now!!!

Come on. Lighten up. Goose Fair is like Glastonbury. Mud just adds to the fun. (Follow ye Follow. right down to the hollow, and there we must wallow).

• Upvote 1