Six Hills, Durham Ox, A46, etc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We’ve just returned from lunch at the Tap and Run at Upper Broughton. Thanks for the recommendations, it was one of the best meals I’ve had, excellent chef.

The Golden Fleece at Upper Broughton I remember well. It now appears to have changed its name. There is a brook passing under the Melton road near to Nether Broughton which is the Dalby Brook, the mai

Will definitely go again, not cheap but well worth it. Go for a special occasion definitely.   my kids just landed in the US safe and sound    Mrs B

Ian, it is still there but not sure if it is open as I haven’t been that way in ages. It used to be called the Durham Ox as cattle drivers used to use the old Fosse.

Six Hills or Durham Ox along with the A46 brings back memories of about early 60s........one night in particular after a night out with Judith from Anstey....missed the last train back to Nottingham...so decided to try and hitch a lift on the A46 just outside Leicester about midnight.......

Hadn't gone far when a Police car pulled up and they asked where we were going.........told them Nottingham.........''Hop in we'll take you to the Notts border'''......brilliant Coppers in those days........

• Like 3

Did they say Hello Hello Hello whats going on here ben? I remember driving on the A46 Syston bypass in the early 60s i think the road surface was made out of concrete blocks sure made for a rough ride in fact i pulled over as i thought i had a flat tyre but everything was ok great memories.

• Like 1

The hotel looks as though the Carpenters Arms rehab centre are using it. They are involved with the homeless and people with addiction problems. You can see the sign if you zoom round the back entrance. 

There used to be a transport café a bit  further North of the Six hills hotel, on the South side facing Leicester, run by a couple of blokes. It was referred to as "Duckies lodge" by SPD drivers.We often called in, when delivering to Leicester area. First call after leaving the depot.

We seem to have been about some of the same places in the 60s Ian.......bet we crossed pathed a few times............

Also you BK......I used the 'Little Chef'' on the south side in the 80s...............

That Little Chef on the Fosse was a regular breakfast stop. I thought Little Chefs were excellent for a decent breakfast when travelling. I used to have the ‘early starter’ but our son used to go for the ‘Olympic breakfast’ plus a side order! An old friend of mine always insisted on beans on toast at home for his evening meal. It used to drive his wife crazy. For a weekly treat he used to take her out for a Little Chef dinner!

Little Chef was part of Trusthouse Forty Which had Hotels all over the country. Mr Forty all owned most of the Gaming Manchines (one arm bandits)  which generated lot's of money.

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

We seem to have been about some of the same places in the 60s Ian.......bet we crossed pathed a few times............

Also you BK......I used the 'Little Chef'' on the south side in the 80s...............

Ben, the café I was referring to wasn't a Little Chef, it was a regular transport café. I've had a look on Mr.Google and at the junction where one turns off to go to Upper Broughton or Wymeswold. It was on the left hand side, heading for Leicester. I believe it's  proper name was Broughton lodge café. The building on the site looks like an ex hotel, on other corner is Raceway karting track. It's a couple of miles down the A46 after you join from Melton Road.

Broughton Lodge cafe was a customer way back when, there was a garage to the rear of the site. The office was up a steel staircase over the cafe and I called there once a week.

In a moment of weakness they persuaded me to take a home a stray kitten. On my way round the damn thing used one of its 9 lives... it ate the luncheon meat from me sarnies!

Loved it to bits while we had him though.

Yes i know that BK............I was just saying the LC was on the same side going south..........

Is this Upper Broughton you are referring to if so we had lawyer had his car seviced  at my dads garage at Watnall it was a Daimler two and a half liter V8 with the Jaguar body i used to deliver it to Upper Broughton after servicing it loved to open it going out on A606 and watch the rev counter in kick down mode.

Howdy Ian, we weren't actually talking about Upper Broughton, but a café on the A46 named after it.As a matter of fact I have a vivid memory of driving through there in the winter of '68. I was driving a tipper lorry carrying nearly 20 tons of slack from Kirkby colliery to Ketton cement, near Stamford. The upshot was, going round the hilly bit near the pub, as I eased on the brakes, I went into a slide on an icy stretch and proceeded to slide straight into the pub car park. Fortunately, I came to a safe stop and was able to continue my journey. As usual, I stopped at the base of Ab Kettleby hill and put the lorry into crawler gear to get me to the top. Gotta admit,  it put me in a shakes for the rest of the day. Cheers Cocker !

• Like 1

Now you’re in my neck of the woods. There is also Nether Broughton as well as Upper Broughton and Kinoulton. Lots of great pubs in the area including Wysall,  Widmerpool and Wymeswold. Regarding the Forte family I worked for THFAS (Trust House Forte Airport Services) for a while who catered a/c out of EMA. Charles Forte was a lovely man who visited several times. Loved the Little Chefs and yes the Olympic breakfast was epic.

question in upper Broughton is it near a river snd if it is, is there a pub there, I am going back to 60s.  The pub i;m thing of is the Golden Fleece.

What was the Durham Ox at Six Hills like inside ? I never went in the place but often drove past.

I knew people who lived in Leicester and in the 1980s I made many visits. My memory of Six Hills is driving past on the journey from Leicester back to Nottingham at around midnight-1am on a Saturday night, and the place was always a hive of activity.

The Golden Fleece is still there and I think there is a brook nearby.

I can remember going to the Durham Ox on a Saturday night, not regularly though. They had a disco and it was always packed. 

Mary1947, according to our illustrious friend, Mr.Google, the pub at Upper Broughton is now called the 'Tap and Run'. Don't know what it were called in 68, I was too busy scaring myself witless. Is there a Lower Broughton? You have Upper, Nether (Middle) so I wonder if there's a third. Ab Kettleby, now there's a funny name. Is it French?