Pubs closing or closed down

The last time I visited the Roe Buck it was in a terrible state, glad to see it refurbished and with new name.

If you didn’t know, the pub is built just to one side where the Wollaton canal use to run, in my day when I use to live not far from there the road ran over a very narrow humped back bridge. The bridge was knocked down at the same time as when the pit was flattened and the canal was filled in.

The old iron railway bridge is still there just a little up from the pub from which I use to train spot from..Arrrr memories.

If my memory serves the iron railway bridge needs a little attention, a coat of paint wouldn’t go amiss.

Bip.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

The Fox in Sneinton is no longer an exciting business opportunity but a building up for sale.

Is that the one on the bend between the church and the Ginger tom.

if so I know one of it's once land lords.

Bip.

I beleive the Fox has had severial landlords in it's time.

The once landlord I'm talking about has a son by the name of Jason, unfortunatly I don't know his surname I shall ask the next time I see him.

Bip. :Friends:

My school friend lived at the Cocked Hat. It was a very nice pub then, but boy did it go downhill in latter years. Fights, fires and mayhem. Bill Frame wouldn't have stood for any of that [he was my friend's dad, the landlord]

Bills name rings a bell, was/is he scottish? wife called Agnes? Used to run the pub on Sandringham drive Bramcote? The Rose Grower was it?

• 1 month later...
Bills name rings a bell, was/is he scottish? wife called Agnes? Used to run the pub on Sandringham drive Bramcote? The Rose Grower was it?

Yes Craig it was the Rose Grower, Bill is no longer with us but Agnes is getting about at 94 years of age. Remember the Hine brandy? and the Hi Fi shop across the road.

Val

Craig

Yes Bill was Scottish (but died 1992) but his wife Agnes, now 94 still going strong. Do you remember the Hine brandy? and L&M the Hi Fi shop across the road from the Rosegrower.

Val

Of course i remember it all! As you mention the Hine brandy, you must be the Val i knew back then, Bill and Agnes's daughter... yes ? Obviously i remember L & M as i worked there with Clive, who i still see regularly!

Strange coincidence this, because i drove past the pub last night at around 7.30 (Xmas eve) and i could only see one person in the bar, not like in the good old days eh!

Obviously sorry to hear about your dad, i hope your mum is well.

Now remind me who was married to whom, Alan to......... and its so long ago, ive forgotten, was Spud his brother? and married to.........?

Anyway, sorry i didnt see the reply until now, i have been tracking the thread, but almost gave up on a reply!

If its not too late, have a good remainder of Christmas, and reply soon!

Of course i remember it all! As you mention the Hine brandy, you must be the Val i knew back then, Bill and Agnes's daughter... yes ? Obviously i remember L & M as i worked there with Clive, who i still see regularly!

Strange coincidence this, because i drove past the pub last night at around 7.30 (Xmas eve) and i could only see one person in the bar, not like in the good old days eh!

Obviously sorry to hear about your dad, i hope your mum is well.

Now remind me who was married to whom, Alan to......... and its so long ago, ive forgotten, was Spud his brother? and married to.........?

Anyway, sorry i didnt see the reply until now, i have been tracking the thread, but almost gave up on a reply!

If its not too late, have a good remainder of Christmas, and reply soon!

Craig

Hope you had a good Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and everyone @ Nottstalgia. Allan is married to me (must reply to Katyjay looks like we got married in the same church the same week)and Spud (Terry) is married to Pauline. We still see Clive in fact he was at our house in June filming mine and Pauline's joint 60th party.

I should have some photos of the Cocked Hat when it was a proper pub so will try and post them on the site if I can work out how to put them on!!!

Val

Hi Val

Did you know the Hind family that lived behind the green opposite the Cocked Hat?

They had a daughter Betty and a son whose name I think was Barry. Betty would be about 55/56 now.

Hi Val

Did you know the Hind family that lived behind the green opposite the Cocked Hat?

They had a daughter Betty and a son whose name I think was Barry. Betty would be about 55/56 now.

Hi Frank

Yes I can remember some of them, but not Betty as I think she was one of the younger ones. If my dad were alive he would have plenty of tales to tell about the family as Ken the father was always in the Cocked Hat. I can remember that 2 of the sons died, 1 drowned in the Trent, the other they found dead in bed (he was aged about 17) after a night out in the Barleycorn on Christmas Eve.

Have attached some photo of the pub. One of the gardens and front of the pub taken about 1960, and the other during its demolition in December 2004.

Val

Sorry, I have had to delete these images, they are over 1 megabyte in size!

Please upload them to Photobucket, and link them from there.

Thanks

If you need further help please ask in the help forum

Hi Frank

Yes I can remember some of them, but not Betty as I think she was one of the younger ones. If my dad were alive he would have plenty of tales to tell about the family as Ken the father was always in the Cocked Hat. I can remember that 2 of the sons died, 1 drowned in the Trent, the other they found dead in bed (he was aged about 17) after a night out in the Barleycorn on Christmas Eve.

Have attached some photo of the pub. One of the gardens and front of the pub taken about 1960, and the other during its demolition in December 2004.

Val

Hopefully the photos are now small enough to upload

post-1173-1199315190_thumb.jpg

post-1173-1199315209_thumb.jpg

Val...I dont believe what you just said about being 60!!!!!!!!! Good God!..........Seems like 2 minutes ago that we were at Clives or Stus, playing the Bose speakers or Phase Linear amps!

I was actually at Clives yesterday, id phoned about having a cup of tea at his, and ended up eating roast lamb, creamed mashed, and roast spuds (no pun!) carrots, parsnips, peas, and sweet corn!

I mentioned you, obviously, and we reminisced about the old days at L & M, and the Hine cognac in your folks pub!

As i drive to Tesco in Toton, i recall coming to either yours, or Spuds house somewhere down the main road dropping down from the garden centre........... on the left hand side........?

Great pictures Val

I have tried to disable image uploads, with a preference for remote image hosting such as Photobucket.com, saving our webspace.

The Norfolk has been closed since last August at least (When I came over for the Brentford game)

• 3 weeks later...

Val, I was away for 3 weeks over Christmas and New Year, or else I'd have seen all the above postings and figured out who you were sooner! I married Sept 21 at Cinderhill, how about you?

Hi Katyjay

We got married on the 14th Sept.1968 and all we could afford was a week away on the south coast a bit different to todays young ones!! We were out in Bangkok for our nephews wedding last October.

I read an article about you in the evening post a few years,I think you were running a motel near the Grand Canyon?

Pubs have certainly changed a bit over here looks like the Red Lion is next to go now been acquired by the college, I still keep in touch with the June who married the landlords son (Harvey)

Val

You did better than us, we managed a weekend in London, LOL. Mind you, we had just bought a bungalow in Langar, which we thought was lucky of us, so had to mind the pennies. Yes, I was in the Evening Post many moons ago, us and another couple here in town, also with a motel and also lived in Nottm at one time.

The Red Lion was one of my mum's watering holes, sad to see if go.

• 2 weeks later...
Drove past The Fox at Sneinton the other day.

All boarded up.

More work for Fred Wilde!

Had a nottstalgic drive past yesterday, it looks very sad, all boarded up, i must admit id either forgotten about it being closed, or i didnt read the post,hence my journey to sample a pint of Double Diamond, as that seemed to be the only place selling it the last time i went in.

After the bowling yesterday we took the grandkids into the Sherwin Arms at Bramcote for dinner.

The sign behind the bar said 'Closing Down Party 8th February - drinks special offer'

Now I don't know if it's closing for good or for a refurb. Just have to wait and see 'suppose

After the bowling yesterday we took the grandkids into the Sherwin Arms at Bramcote for dinner.

The sign behind the bar said 'Closing Down Party 8th February - drinks special offer'

Now I don't know if it's closing for good or for a refurb. Just have to wait and see 'suppose

One of the first pubs I ever went in ,My dads family was all from that area and they used to frequent the Sherwin we went in for a family meet up ,I was about 6

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down