Pubs closing or closed down

After the bowling yesterday we took the grandkids into the Sherwin Arms at Bramcote for dinner.

The sign behind the bar said 'Closing Down Party 8th February - drinks special offer'

Now I don't know if it's closing for good or for a refurb. Just have to wait and see 'suppose

If it is closing for refurb it will be the third it has had in five years, the last was only two years ago IMMSMC.

Bip.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

I first came home to Nott'm in 96 and there were approx 20 'new' pubs or renamed places in only 7 months, the old St Peters church being just one of them. The following year all the usual suspects were gone i.e The Fountain,Q.E. The malt house had been knocked into some stupid sh1t hole as had The Whie Lion and The Tavern in the town (the latter even changed it's name to sommat un rememberable.

So I say F**k em all if they want to fix something that aint broken.........Yadda Yadda Yadda

One of the first pubs I ever went in ,My dads family was all from that area and they used to frequent the Sherwin we went in for a family meet up ,I was about 6

The Sherwin was the first pub I ever went in. 1970 I reckon. With some lads from school one lunchtime after the exams.

In the seventies it was named The Parliament House. It was a run down Shippo's house and had some mangy looking streamer curtain type things between the two rooms.. It was refurbished but I can't remember the name it became called afterwards.

The place never seemed to do particularly well under any of it's guises.

If it is closing for refurb it will be the third it has had in five years, the last was only two years ago IMMSMC.

Bip.

Went by today, certainly didnt seem to be cosing down, other than for a refit, judging by the carpenter/woodwork signs around the site.

• 2 weeks later...
Went by today, certainly didnt seem to be cosing down, other than for a refit, judging by the carpenter/woodwork signs around the site.

It is a refurb, was recently in the local rag saying so.

We used to go there quite regular around 6/7 years ago, had a great carvery and very popular, we last went around three years ago and the meals were awful, yes its the third refit in about five years like the other guy said, seems they cant compete with the priory down the road.

Also announced in the NEP tonight the Lord Nelson on crabtree farm is to be demolished

Also announced in the NEP tonight the Lord Nelson on crabtree farm is to be demolished

Oh NO!! - where am I going to get my DRUGS from now?????............

According to Mrs Frank, the demolision has already started. Not been past mesem yet to confirm.

This was a pub many moons ago anyone remember its names ?

230108066hh3.jpg

Yes it's the Parliament. Not a particular nice pub as I remeber it - 43 years ago. I haven't been back to Nottingham in 30 years but the place looked familar. I used to catch my bus, number 15, at Trinity Square. There used to be a church in the square which was demolished in the early 70's I think.

You'll have to go up to the Dosa Frank. Duke of st albans

All changed up there recently Denshaw. Apparently, the new bloke has banned anyone under 21 from enterin' the premises as it was the young 'uns that were tradin' in the illegal substances.

Since then, he's had his car set alight twice, the staff have had their motors vandalised, he got slapped the other Saturday night etc etc.

Was my local for 6 years when it first opened, then for 14 years recently, but I gave it up as a bad job about 2 years ago.

Funnily, I popped in for a quick one, as you do, last tuesday night, about 6.45pm.

Says to the bird behind the bar - oy miss! you short changed me or what? (5p change out of £2.50 fer a pint of John Smiths) - No she says, it's £2.45 a pint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................................................... :ohmy:

As Beefy says - Nuff said!

My local (Snooker club) charges £2.10 for John Smiths but at the moment he has Guinness on at £1.50 (Nearly half price) So I am doing my best to help him lower his stock level

According to Mrs Frank, the demolition has already started. Not been past mesen yet to confirm.

Slight correction - Mrs Frank says it's been BURNT down

My local (Snooker club) charges £2.10 for John Smiths but at the moment he has Guinness on at £1.50 (Nearly half price) So I am doing my best to help him lower his stock level

Bloody 'ell Beefy, that's cheaper than it is over 'ere! We went to our "local" last night (as we often do on Thursday) - Guinness there is $4 for a "pint" - but it is about 20% smaller than a real British pint! It is usually pretty good too! The local "Irish" pub charges $5 for a "real" pint - which is a bit expensive by my standards!

$5 Thats only two and a half quid .It's normally on at £2.80 in my club but he took ' advantage' of a promotion and that didn't sell .I also suspect his suppliers were stock piling for the footy in the summer (Which we ain't qualified for) so they have to shift it cheap

Yes it's the Parliament. Not a particular nice pub as I remeber it - 43 years ago. I haven't been back to Nottingham in 30 years but the place looked familar. I used to catch my bus, number 15, at Trinity Square. There used to be a church in the square which was demolished in the early 70's I think.

Thanks for that Henry.

And welcome !cheers!

The Club just down the road from me is selling H&H cool bitter for £1-70 a pint, needless to say I did my best on Wednesday night to lighten his stocks.

Bip.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down