Anything Political

3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I still can't find any reference to a survey or Brexit.

Simply double click on Open Britain.

https://us21.list-manage.com/survey?u=8ce323885fefc60a1dfe7ff0b&id=99c80c8296&utm_source=Open+Britain&utm_campaign=7303242da8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2024_01_30_11_21_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-27c14871b6-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D&e=dd9850a83f

3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

which is why Open Britain exists.

Open Britain exists to serve a similar demographic as GBnews, how you can claim it's not left wing I don't know.

Quote:

The individuals involved in the campaign group include former Ministers Pat McFadden (Labour) and Norman Lamb (Liberal Democrat).[12]

Conservatives Anna Soubry, Nicky Morgan, and Dominic Grieve cut their ties with Open Britain in April 2017 after it began to campaign against the re-election of anti-EU members of parliament, mostly Conservatives.[13]

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why do you feel the need to influence others? What is your motivation for so doing? Is it because you think you know better than they? Is it because it feeds your ego if and when you succeed?  Is it b

True enough but none quite so 'in your face' or as blatant. To paraphrase Mone "I didn't lie to hide the the fact we're making £60 million and hiding it in a trust, it was to to protect my family

HSR: Col is given a 'free rein to spout his opinions' for exactly the reasons you are, only he does so with more civility.   Recently there have been a couple of attacks on the validity of t

2 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

Just signed the petition for increasing the old state pension to the same rate as those on the "new" pension rate.

Me too...

• Like 1

Me too, but I'm baffled as to why the difference  exists.

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Shin Bet is largely employed in identifying targets, which the IDF then enthusiastically bombards with heavy munitions, regardless of 'collateral' damage.

Change Shin Bet for the Maquis 1943, or RAF pathfinders or the Luftwaffe etc etc, It's war and  it's sick. Identifying various factions to apportion blame is as pointless as a foreign government arguing about calling for a ceasefire.

I’ve just signed the petition too and didn’t realise it was happening. I always accepted that those WOMEN born a year after me received a higher State Pension because they didn’t get it until some time after their 60th birthday, which is far enough.  
To be honest I’m pleased to have been getting my State Pension into my bank account for the past 14 years, it’s a handy amount but I couldn’t live on it and we’re lucky to have other income. 

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Change Shin Bet for the Maquis 1943, or RAF pathfinders or the Luftwaffe etc etc, It's war and  it's sick. Identifying various factions to apportion blame is as pointless as a foreign government arguing about calling for a ceasefire.

There are differences. Total war existed between the Axis and the Allies in WW2. I do not believe that anybody has declared war on Palestine. Many people in WW2 were able to flee the worst of the fighting, if not necessarily the bombing. The difference  in Gaza is that the population is trapped and unable to evacuate and is now starving. 

Re: State Pension. As I said I 'm baffled by the 2 tier pension system.

Especially  if,  as I recall vaguely, people my age had to work for 40 or 50 years to qualify for the full state pension, but at some point that changed to more like 30 years.

I would certainly struggle without my modest  works pension.

According to Netanyahu they are, and a lack of a formal declaration makes not a jot of difference nor does the number of combatants. i

Many people were unable to escape and ore civilians died in one city than the whole of Gaza, as for starvation I'm sure it's somethin the Dutch during the hongerwinter will know something about - and nobody officially declared war on them

3 hours ago, Brew said:

Simply double click on Open Britain

Open Britain exists to serve a similar demographic as GBnews, how you can claim it's not left wing..etc

Surely a diametrically  opposed demographic..  if you want to look at it in those  terms.  Eitherway, even if I accept your analysis that Open Britain is 'left wing', as opposed to both pro Democracy and anti Brexit, ( Which we both are. .),this does not negate their reporting of the Ofcom findings concerning GB News.

4 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Surely a diametrically  opposed demographic.

Yes, a poor choice of words... The left wing comes from a putsch by Rudd that saw a mass exit by the Tory members leaving left wingers like Mandelson.  The proDem and anti-Brexit I have no problem with.

• Like 1

Just to add my two pennorth. I have just signed the pensioner petition too. Must admit though, I knew bugger all about it.

6 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

In April those of us born before April 1951 will get £169 per week , whereas those born after April 51 get £221 per week

How bizarre, who thought that one up and what is the justification for it?

I'll await with interest the outcome.

Wonder if those of us overseas who receive a British pension or part thereof will see any changes. I am pre-April 1952 my wife is post, so we will be able to see if anything changes.

• Like 1

Quote from Reeves oh her plans for the economy:

"What is demanded is a decade of national renewal, shaping the institutional architecture of the British economy in the direction of mission-led government," "If we can bring together public and private sectors, in a national mission - directed at restoring strong economic growth across Britain."

Is it me or is it meaningless drivel?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Wonder if those of us overseas who receive a British pension or part thereof will see any changes. 

Unfortunately I believe your pensions will be frozen at whatever rate it is currently . It apparently affects half a million expats in countries such as Australia, Canada . 

If I'm reading it right those expats in Europe and a few other select countries get the increase.

More here :

https://frozenbritishpensions.org/the-problem/

• Like 1

Apparently the born after 6th April 1951 scheme was brought in to make it simpler to calculate, but on average make it so that the new scheme doesn't make anyone better off than they would have been in the old scheme.

But as is usual it's not as simple as black and white and the Petitioners, just as Politicians do, have chosen to cherry pick to suit their needs.
They've only taken the amount paid out in the old scheme verses the new scheme without taking into account anything else.

Not everyone will get the full amount, £221 ish, in 2024, just as not everyone gets the full amount in the born before 6th April 1951 group.
For the full amount in the new scheme you need 35 years qualifying N.I contributions, verses only 30 years between 1945 and 1951, (but 44 years prior to 1945).
I'm sure there are other qualifying differences as well.

By 2028 the eligible age for pension will be age 67, not 65 as the older scheme, possibly moving to 68 later, so the new scheme participants will be 2 years payment short.
Except, like me, people born between 6th April 1951 and 6th April 1961 who will be between 0 and 2 yrs short as the qualifying age rises.

Fortunately for me, I was born 2 days into the new scheme eligibilty so I did not loose any years as I was eligible at 65 birthday.

However as I was still in employment I deferred taking the pension for 2½ years, the benefit of that was I didn't pay 40% tax on it, the drawback was I only get 5.8% per year bonus per year deferred, to make up for the loss, verses 10.4% if I was 2 days older, though on a lower amount.

The bonus doesn't get the triple lock increase only the rate of inflation, regardless of the rate paid.

• Like 1

Thanks Stuart C. For the explanation I think I grasp some of it . 

Some Tory MP on Politics Live actually seriously proposing that Boris Johnson should be brought back into Govt.

You couldn't  make it up.

A bit rambling but flags up a potential for concern, however at the end of the day politicians already lead the military. No general has ever declared war, it's always a political decision.

In the US the president seems to be held in almost demigodlike awe and soldiers will obey without regard to the political side the order comes from.

Lyndon Johnson (1965) was strongly advised against going to war in Vietnam - but he did it anyway

No point having advisers that don't agree with you. Every president, PM etc. surrounds themselves with sycophants.

17 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

Unfortunately I believe your pensions will be frozen at whatever rate it is currently . It apparently affects half a million expats in countries such as Australia, Canada . 

If I'm reading it right those expats in Europe and a few other select countries get the increase.

More here :

Well that explains it then, not! Thanks David

Doesn't make much difference as the thieving barstewards in Australia deduct any UK pension from any payable Australian pension anyway. If I got any more it would just be taken off me.

Wonder if I moved to the Philippines would I get both my UK and Australian pensions at the full rate? I hear it is cheap to live there.

What was the logic behind "freezing" the pension anyway? Was it just to save money? 

9 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

What was the logic behind "freezing" the pension anyway? Was it just to save money? 

"What determines the “frozen pension” list of countries where British expats won’t ever see an increase in their benefits? The government’s policy is seemingly illogical and random. For example, UK pensioners living in Trinidad have frozen pensions, while those residing in Barbados enjoy annual indexed increases."

6 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

Page 7 on this link sort of expains the Frozen situation.

Thanks Stuart.C

What a crock of crap the decision to freeze pensions is without regard to the impact it is having on many older people especially.  It feels good to be "out of sight, out of mind". Could I have some of the money back that I contributed to NI as I am not getting the full value of those contributions? I wonder if I am still eligible for a vote?

Can someone explain to me how someone who was implicated in the Greensill Capital lobbying scandal can rise to become Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs. 'Dodgy Dave' is now in South Australia glad handing our pollies as they give him AU$4,6 billion dollars in support to British industry to clear bottlenecks in production of nuclear reactors for ultimate use in Australia's new nuclear submarines that are likely to be obsolete before they are even started. He was also responsible for initiating the Brexit referendum that in part has left the UK in the mess it is in today.

27 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

Can someone explain to me how someone who was implicated in the Greensill Capital lobbying scandal can rise to become Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs.

Col will be along shortly Oz...

• Like 1