Is 2023 going to be a good year in the garden

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I've never tried tsatsiki but I love raita.

tsatsiki, sounds like something you go to the pharmacy for.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have one less PLANTPOT with a flowering plant in this morning........my lovely widow next door has been quite ill lately....So i placed my 'Pot' right in front of her bedroom window late last night.

My garden is looking colourful now, a bit earlier than previous years but I'm not complaining     Three different Roses in the front garden,(yellow, pink, white) Lupin

I’ve just been trying to clear a very weedy patch that was formerly a mint bed. I thought it would be better to pull the weeds out rather than strim them off. I used my long leverage weed puller. The

8 hours ago, Rob.L said:

Proper raita does have cucumber in it. Our favourite local Indian restaurant make their own and it’s bloomin lovely!

I stand corrected.

My first attempt at Tsatsiki, or Tzatziki, was one 6" home grown cucumber grated and salted to remove excess water

Mixed with about 2 cups fat free Greek style yoghurt, 2 small garlic cloves, a couple of teaspoons of EV olive oil and a dozen or so chopped mint leaves. Was lovely fresh made, but I'd maybe use less garlic next time.

But after more than 24 hours in the fridge, the flavours have blended, the mint developed and the garlic mellowed out.

Lovely now...

..and plenty of cucumbers left.. 

Jill, Harold this years hog is still here every night and getting bigger. Now the nights are drawing in am having to put food out earlier otherwise he’s wandering about the patio with his “where is my food” look on his face! 

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Jill, very odd happenings with my hog this week. Not been seen in the garden since  last Sunday after weeks off rocking up for food every night but still around all week as have heard grunting noises from the border most days. Have  put food out but not eaten by anything but slugs all week. Suddenly appeared tonight and had to put extra out. Do you think this is late mating? 
Mrs B

I think it's possible that your hog may have had a second litter. Rather late now for mating but in a good summer where food has been plentiful, second litters are not uncommon.  Keep your eyes open for babies because the odds are stacked against their survival unless food is provided and winter is mild.

I thought maybe that was the case so I’ll keep my eyes peeled. We thought that it was a this years youngster itself when it first started coming but maybe not.  I was really glad it was back last night after 6 days of not seeing it. Of course it could be a different one !

Have I imagined it? Just now in the garden a Lancaster flew over,  heading in the direction of Tollerton. Can't imagine it will have room to land. Trying to imagine the very impressive noise of those engines multiplied a dozen times over at dusk over Lincolnshire all those years ago.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Jill, I have not seen my hog for 5 days although I have kept a watchful eye out so am assuming it’s either hibernating, run over or being fed elsewhere. I read that if they are pregnant before hibernating they can save the birth of the hoglets till they come out of hibernation. If so that’s very clever.

Off to New England on Thursday, can’t wait. My daughter would have fed the hog if it had been around as she’s still at home but no sign.