GPs - Appointments and service

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever you say, you are likely to upset someone.   So just ignore them all and say what you think.

I have noticed with age I don’t care whether other people like my opinions or not. I don’t care about your colour, race or sexual gender, don’t understand the pronoun thing but am quite happy to call

A phone call this afternoon from the manager of the pharmacy at the local surgery apologising for what happened on Monday re: assistant attitude, I explained about not having my reading glasses with m

4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

My prescription was handed to me this morning by an obese, heavily tattooed woman. Doesn’t present a positive image for the NHS. 

Phil, what have tattoos got to do with the NHS?

7 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Phil, what have tattoos got to do with the NHS?

Tongue in cheek comes to mind here  :laughing:

Rog

What has obesity got to do with the NHS? A receptionist should be smart and presentable as a representative of the organisation. I think the tick boxes were probably tattooed on her backside but as I was collecting and not requesting I wasn’t offered the opportunity to find out!

• Like 1

Front of office staff should always be smart and presentable, I agree with you there Phil, would you go to a dietician who was grossly over weight?  or a dermatologist who was covered in inks ? I think not

Rog

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Tongue in cheek comes to mind here  :laughing:

Rog

Unfortunately, ‘tongue in cheek’ and ‘banter‘ sometimes (but not always) can hide real prejudice.
Someone can say something hurtful or  even objectionable then, when challenged, innocently say ‘But it’s only banter’ or ‘ I was speaking with ‘tongue in cheek’

Also, Obesity and tattoos are totally different things.
 I think the most important consideration is a person’s  character and their attitude and consideration towards other people.

The lady in your pharmacy, Rog, did seem uncaring and rude though.

But,  (dare I say) she may be suffering from big problems in her life that no-one else  knows about?  This isn’t an excuse - just a thought……

Asteisms always leave you open to accusations of offending some holier than thou halo-wearer. Fiona Bruce fell foul of just such a mistake recently.

It matters not the intent of the comment. Those claiming to be offended automatically acquire the moral high ground and always assumed to be right. Their opinion is always the one that holds sway.

No one nowadays stands up and says "oh sod off!"

The only way to make amends is with much breast beating, abject apologies and probably a goodly amount of sack cloth and ashes...

Intolerance is  everywhere. We live in an age of euphemisms and obscure references, where plain speaking is a punishable offence. Describe  someone as old, or fat if you dare, it doesn't matter whether the one referred to hears or not, it doesn't matter how true it is, someone will take exception. The same with clothes, hairstyles and life choices.

Use the wrong pronoun and for some the world will come to an end...

• Like 5

On a more light-hearted note (if that is possible)

John_Cleese.jpg

You just have to smile at John Cleese don't you

Rog

• Like 1

Oops!  I’m sorry that what I wrote has caused such a reaction.  I realise that on this particular forum my views are not those of the majority of members but I believed I was free to express them occasionally….

Anyway,  I’m sorry if anything I’ve written has disturbed anyone.  
I’ll TRY (once again) to keep my posts more bland from now on :)  

Love the views of our 'God fearing Margie''............Bland? never........bet you would love Paul to have worn ''Pink shoe laces''.....lol

• Like 2

Love the NHS. Had a bit of a problem and rang  111 they told me to go straight to A & E. Waited 3 hours for the bloke to tell em to see my doctor in the morning.

I was a step ahead and took a sample of you know what and the Doctor said I should ride the problem out and ignored a rash I had. Missed out I had shingles as well which the missus spotted straight away.

So now I use my wife as my GP but she wont sign me a sick note !!!!!!

• Like 1

My post was not a response to you in particular Margie, but I will say this, to my mind and in many ways being bland is worse than upsetting people. Being bland, apologetic, or worst of all having no opinion at all and staying silent is how misunderstandings grow.

Saying nothing allows the those on the fringes to think their behaviour is acceptable.

Never think you need to hold your peace for fear of upsetting someone, we all have equal rights to an opinion.

• Like 2

We only have to look at the delightful situation in Russia. People afraid to open their mouths lest they 'fall' out of a window in 24 hours' time or find novichok in their morning porridge. Terrified of saying the wrong thing and who might be earwigging.  God forbid we ever get to that situation. I was brought up to say what I thought within a family of others who all said what they thought, too. We managed to avoid bashing each other over the head if we disagreed but at least we all knew where we stood. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Oops!  I’m sorry that what I wrote has caused such a reaction.  I realise that on this particular forum my views are not those of the majority of members but I believed I was free to express them occasionally….

Anyway,  I’m sorry if anything I’ve written has disturbed anyone.  
I’ll TRY (once again) to keep my posts more bland from now on :)  

Don't worry about it me duck, good old Notts humour thats all, don't be offended and your input is always welcome after all your opinion is just another side of the same coin

Rog

• Upvote 2

I have noticed with age I don’t care whether other people like my opinions or not. I don’t care about your colour, race or sexual gender, don’t understand the pronoun thing but am quite happy to call you whatever you want. I would listen to your opinions and, as long as they are not truly offensive or disrespectful, respect them as your opinions even if they are wrong! I wouldn’t try to forcibly change them but would be willing to have a discussion about why we have a different take on things.
Can’t be doing with people taking offence over the most trivial things which seems to be the trend at the moment, or the “I’m shouting loudest so I am right attitude”. Don’t like opinions, unless they are really bad, being shouted down by individuals or mobs either. 

What is that saying “I disagree with your opinions but will fight for the right for you to express them”, or something like that. 

• Like 5

I find that since I've been a crusty old sod I say just what I want , usually it's positive but on the odd occasion I have been known to be a tad abrupt and some would say offensive but it's how I see it and don't forget I'm Nottingham born and bred and that is how we was all bought up whether you want to admit it or not, if not you are only lying to yourselves so get off your high horse and start enjoying life, after all life is very short and you are a long time dead, If any of my posts offend you then stop reading them simple as that, there is an option on this site where you can stop seeing certain members (of your choice) posts by clicking  "ignore" on their profile, dead easy to do if someone gets on your nerves with repetitive rantings, I know I have

Rog