Wilko - will they survive ?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I RECALL this Wilkinsons opening mid 60s .Mansfield road Sherwood...i was Managing the Farrands/Thrifty store3 or 4 doors further up......

I don't know how many shops they had at the time but Wilkinsons Hardware had the housewares/d.i.y. concession at the GEM Supercentre at West Bridgford when it opened in 1964 . That may have been their

Yes Woody been into Hucknall a couple of times lately........so depressing.....used to be a Vibrant little town......no-more alas....

The question should be "Can any high street shop survive" with high business rates, cost of parking, car parks well away from the centres, plus the ease of on line shopping and the councils don't seem to be interested in attracting people to the towns, sign of the times I suppose but such a shame, I feel sorry for the people who will lose their jobs

Rog

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

They actually started in Leicester, so they're almost local.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66460059

I don't know how many shops they had at the time but Wilkinsons Hardware had the housewares/d.i.y. concession at the GEM Supercentre at West Bridgford when it opened in 1964 . That may have been their first time in Notts ? 

I was across the other side of GEM, working on the car accessories for a firm called Lex Motors.

After ASDA took over the store in 1967 and ran the food hall, they later took over the car accessories lease and later the lease owned by Wilkinsons Hardware , both being

amalgamated into the Asda Non Food Section.

• Like 3

A similar enterprise is Boyes which started in Yorkshire.  When I was at teacher training college in Scarborough, all the students descended on their massive shop in the town centre. It was rather dilapidated but four or five floors of everything and anything you could possibly want. Stationery was very cheap: pads, ring binders ,pens, plastic document wallets, everything a student could use. Fabrics on another floor, together with just about anything for collage: feathers, sequins, braids, you name it. Just like Wilkinson's, it was very spit and sawdust. Stuff piled up for rummaging through but we loved it. Their other stores were the same but smaller.

Now, they've reached Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. Again  just like Wilkinson's, they've been tidied up, prices have gone in a similar direction and the thrill of what you might find among the rummage is no more. Why can't they leave things alone?

• Like 1

In my humble opinion Boyes, Wilkos , B&M and all the other just buy cheap imports from China like the rest and push up the prices when the BBC causes panic. (plant pots are in shortage because the Brazilian petroleum workers are on an overtime ban etc etc etc LOL)

Seriuously.

I do feel sorry for the staff but when the pits closed I had to rethink about my career and life. 

Friday morning rant over . Have a good weekend

• Like 2

I agree Jill, Boyes in Newark the same although I only sit outside on Bridge street while MrsP goes into the store I can see some of the stuff people bring out

Rog

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Wilko - can they survive ?

Wilco look like closing in Bulwell.....and it would certainly have a detrimental effect on the Old Town.....i reckon if it closes they should turn it into an indoor market.the open air one at present is busy when it operates as a Flea Market.......i'm sure an indoor flea market would work in Bulwell.......Bit of a throw back many years to Central Market in town...2_NTGM015165.jpg

Those notices are now on the windows in Long Eaton Wilko and Parliament Street. Went in both but didn't see one price reduction let alone 1000's.

I did notice that Arnold Wilko have spread some items around to fill otherwise empty shelves. The place wasn’t very busy, either. Unlike Poundland next door, and Boyes down the road.

if it does shut down completely, I must admit I’ll miss the free car parking most of all.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Rob.L said:

if it does shut down completely, I must admit I’ll miss the free car parking most of all.

I've never been there since it became Wilko, but I was often there when that was the car park (on the roof) for Sainsbury's.

I can remember driving up the ramp to the car park, to shop in Sainsburys.

That were afore we moved to Bulwell.

I RECALL this Wilkinsons opening mid 60s .Mansfield road Sherwood...i was Managing the Farrands/Thrifty store3 or 4 doors further up......2_NTGM000942.jpg

• Like 3

Been in Wilko's this morning........so much for them saying bargains galore everything must go.......

Thought i'd look see IF the 6.50 PLANT POTS''...Had gone back to 4.50 which is what they were 3 months ago.......no chance...still 6.50.......The only things that look like going are 12 thousand staff.......

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Wilko - will they survive ?