Things our parents used to say

There was an elderly aunt who was a bit on the "simple" side and when she wanted to know the time would ask :

"Wot a clock is it wi' yorn"

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

My dad was brought up in a small terrace in Sheffield. The only accurate clock they had access to was on a church some distance away. My grandad would say "What's time wi't clockaboon".

• 4 weeks later...

What about the 10 O'clock horses will get you if your are not in bed early. And itchy hands. If it is your right you are going to part with money and if it was your left you are to receive it. (or was it the other way round?)

Something you don't hear these days. If you were sick/unwell you were poorly.

And if we were being chased off to bed, it was "upper jotter - jildie"

I don't ever remember hearing it but scopadiddle seems to be more Yorks than Notts and its meaning varies from a spinning top , to mice or spiders or even a part on a spinning machine according to the link below . Something that moves around swiftly .

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-109083.html

I don't ever remember hearing it but scopadiddle seems to be more Yorks than Notts and its meaning varies from a spinning top , to mice or spiders or even a part on a spinning machine according to the link below . Something that moves around swiftly .

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-109083.html

That would make sense as Mam was from Sheffield Woodhouse, thanks for the link DAVIDW..

my sister reminded me of something our mum used to say your so bloody sharp youl cut yersen one day

When i was a young teenager just starting to go out laddin' with my mates. The meeting place was always our house, one of the last things mam would say as we went through the door was "Keep yer hand on yer Aypni".......Aw MAM! :tease:

Both parents were brought up in Old Basford, I wonder how many things they said, came from just that area? Mam came out with a lot more than dad did, but then again, his mother's family came from the black country.

I haven't heard that one before Katyjay. One similar ......Well i'll be blowed! ........ "Blowed where"?

It was "Well blow me down" in ar aas!

Cover me in axle grease and call me slick - courtesy of "Cars"!

Me mam & dad went on lots of holidays, left me at 'om...........................We're going now, don't struggle too much & the ropes won't burn,