Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Another one for anything that was obvious was "Yes well that sticks out like Chapel Hat Pegs"

We always used - "sticks out like dogs b*lls".

And while on the animal topic - something or someone totally useless would be - "as much use as t*ts on a bull"

Still use those those phrases today!

I'm not sure why it was said, but mam would say you little Tripe Hound.

Any one know in what circumstance it would have been said

(I was probably up to some kind of mischief)

I'm not sure why it was said, but mam would say you little Tripe Hound.

Any one know in what circumstance it would have been said

(I was probably up to some kind of mischief)

Not sure - but perhaps refers to nonsense - as in "e's talkin' a load o' tripe" (a common expression often relating to politicians).

my dad to my children - "Well if you have that knickerbocker glory and don't eat it, you won't get another one" every year at the seaside....and he always finished them off!!!!!

Sometimes mam would say...................... (Oh look here comes Fanny By Gas Light)

I never thought about where the name came from,until now,i just googled it and it was the title of a film made in 1944.

Monday morning is old-codgers badminton for me at our local leisure centre and yesterday one of the other players from somewhere "up North" said "who's got the pill" , meaning the shuttlecock .

That brought back a memory from school days , I'm sure we used to call the tennis ball we would play endless games of football in the playground "the pill" , anyone else remember that ?

Thanks Andrew , proves I'm not going bonkers then !..... but I wonder how a ball got to be called "the pill".

Could be Carni .

Seem to remember also a "kick in the pills" would make a lad speak in a high voice ! :faint:

Maybe thats the connection ?

Pillock apparently does stem from the 14th century Scandinavian word Pillicock which was the word for the male member , so I think you are right !

Another one : "if you don't go , you'll be on your TOD"

Tod was apparently rhyming slang and stemmed from a famous American jockey of the early 1900s called Tod Sloan .

He was very successful in Europe but lost his racing license due to some misdemeanor . So the original rhyming slang for "on you own", was "on your tod sloan" and shortened to tod .