Things our parents used to say

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Somebody a bit gormless 'she's a right old Lizzie Dripping'

Blimey O'Reilly, when gobsmacked

San Fairy Ann, when it doesn't matter.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I did something silly this afternoon and I just came out with a saying to myself: that I haven't heard for years. Mam and Dad would say this to me quite often? I can't imagine why. You daft Klondyke.

Any ideas what a Klondyke is?

If you butted in someone else's business, you were sticking your oar in.

Look what the cat dragged in, for someone you hadn't seen for a while.

The meaning I was after is the one in #1836. It took me a long time to find it, on a site that I don't normally use. I'm pretty sure that the meaning that I found, is what my parents meant when saying that to me. A bit daft was another one they used. I get the feeling they were trying to tell me something :biggrin:

I did see that it was also slang for Lesbian, but I knew that wasn't the meaning I was researching for.

San Fairy Anne comes from the French 'Ca Ne Fait Rien', meaning literally 'That does nothing'... or more colloquially, 'It doesn't matter'. Oddly, I only heard it in St Helens in the 70s.

'Ah'll bat yer tabs/box yer ears'. I shall strike you.. :)

General incredulity was expressed as 'Ooo Err' with a rising inflexion.

'It's like Casey's Court in 'ere'. A chaotic situation.

'Looks like Jackie Pownall's in 'ere' Very untidy. A reference to Pownall's Rag/scrap place which IIRC was down Bath St way.

I'm sure there are more.. I'll drag 'em back eventually..

Col

Dad used to say San Fairy Anne. It was always one of his usual sayings, DJ360, the meaning you have described is just what we thought he meant when he said it. I never heard anyone else say it except him. We just thought it was an expression from his Navy Days

• 2 weeks later...

Just used this saying in another thread. If we did or said something unusual, I remember mam would often use the expression. "You've been watching to much Television my girl". Must have been blamed for many things.

"Mind you I think that is true"!

To someone who didn't know what they were doing, or trying to do - You're like a fart in a colander. Always pronounced culander.

• Upvote 1

Not at all Michael Booth. I wouldn't say such a thing to a lady but what I would say is

"She is not as bad as she was before she was as good as she is now." lol

• Upvote 1