• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted these before - but here are some early 20th century postcards of the Market Square:

wasn't there a time in the past that nottingham was known as the queen of the midlands, well the bloody crown has slipped a bit, now on me own have had the chance to go to Nottingham, looked up the ol

And to keep the theme going....a fairly close-up view of the Exchange; demolished to make way for the Council House.

RGR, thanks for the photographs but what has happened to Nottingham?

Back in the 50s, the richness and grandeur of the buildings, the warmth and even homeliness of the surroundings, doubledeckers lined up and people. At night with all the lights it would take on an entirely different atmosphere.

Not the sterile, cold and indifferent place that I see now.

Progress.............the city planners should stick their ideas where the sun don't shine if that is the result because it is apparent that that is where their heads are!

• Upvote 1

I have to agree Trevor S we only spent a few hour,s in Town and as it was one of the few sunny days in two weeks,we headed up to the Peak District in Derbyshire and still has beautiful as every.

This Photo says its 1937.???...this is almost how i remember the square..flountains far end and flowerbeds this end also the compass pattern at the top of the steps.....but....theres NO TOILETS...when were they put in ???

$(KGrHqN,!h8E-tBqZ0uTBP3JByTUjQ~~60_12.JPG

theres NO TOILETS...when were they put in ???

This photo shows kids rehearsing for the Quincentenary celebrations - 1949 - and the toilets are there, so it seems they appeared some time between 1937 and 49

quin.jpg

Presumably before then any public toilets were well hidden like the current ones in Greyhound Street

Never realised that the toilets were built after the Square had been laid out in that way. That must've involved quite a bit of digging and tunnelling.

Typical Council (or maybe Corporation in those days); don't take the easy option of a conventional building at ground level, do something which involves a lot of unnecessary work and expense.

Wonder where they all went in the old days when there were hundreds of market stalls and thousands of shoppers?

That could take a bit of research Cliff ton... hellothere

• Upvote 1

No big secret...I have pictures from the 20s with the Council House being built...I wouldn't imagine you will finish up on Devils Island for copyright unless you have Fergie having her toes sucked or Diana in bed with an Arab.

A number of the images posted on this site breach copyright laws if you stick rigidly to the letter of the law. However, I think most copyright owners would see that any such images are not posted for profit or personal gain; they are just used to provide information and illustrate a particular point on an informal forum. Also, the owners may be happy to see their work distributed over a wider area and reach a greater audience than it might otherwise have had.

As long as no-one claims any such images as their own and sells prints, or publishes a book consisting of those images, then as poohbear says, I doubt a giant hand will appear from the sky and strike anyone down.

Different with the old family photos, war-time photos, and images which have been taken recently by Nottstalgians; in those cases it is the copyright owner who is posting them so no problem.

And linking to a photo (as opposed to posting it) is another way to avoid offending anyone

Were'nt the public toilets originally water storage tanks built for the second world war in case of city center fires ? Converted to toilets after the war.

Also remember Albert Brown when we lived in the old St Anns in the 60s. He & his "friend" Vivian, used to frequent the Lord Napier pub on Union Road.

That's a good suggestion which I hadn't come across before.

It also reminded me (there is a thread somewhere on the subject) of the underground world around the Council House/King Street. Any connection?

Maybe you could go by tunnel from the Council House to the toilets... :)