• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted these before - but here are some early 20th century postcards of the Market Square:

wasn't there a time in the past that nottingham was known as the queen of the midlands, well the bloody crown has slipped a bit, now on me own have had the chance to go to Nottingham, looked up the ol

And to keep the theme going....a fairly close-up view of the Exchange; demolished to make way for the Council House.

I'd agree the original toilets should have been left there and that they were a better facility than the present. The new one is only just off the other side of the square though. What Nottingham really needs is more toilets though. It is a problem.

I've never been in the Greyhound Street toilets so I've no idea what they are like. I wonder how many people are aware of them? They are badly (if at all) advertised; signs and notices are almost non-existent, and hidden away in a rather gloomy backstreet.

Secret toilets is an interesting concept, but not very useful.

Almost surprised they didn't make the Market Square toilets into a cafe bar like they did this one below in Southport. After all Nottingham only has around 1,234,479 licensed premises in the city centre (and barely any toilets).

http://corebarsouthport.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.southportvisiter.co.uk/southport-entertainment/food-drink/2008/01/02/core-bar-and-grill-eastbank-street-southport-101022-20307155/

I also miss the OMS toilets - they were quite palatial in a subterranean sort of way - and "high capacity" if you know what I mean. On the other hand, from the pong I remember (without any nostalgic longing at all!) I don't think they can have been very well managed.

I really think they should have made some better provision when they 'redesigned' the new square. It almost seems like nutcases who plan things in this city hadn't the foresight or common sense to imagine that people who visit might actually need to use a toilet at some point. When you think of the amount of pubs, bars and restaurants in a fairly concise area it's ludicrous.

Unfortunately, it's common to see some pub-goers using the streets as a toilet in the evening when all they need to do is walk into a nearby bar. The lack of any obvious (open) public toilets, especially after a certain time of night, only exacerbates the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At least it's dulled down a bit; it was blindingly bright when new. Bizarre to think that there was a competition for the design and this one won. Maybe there was some 'incentive' offered to the judges to pick this one? A wide flat space is undoubtedly the best platform for markets, etc. to bring some revenue in. On the plus side, it's nice when they fill it with sand for the annual 'seaside' event. The toddlers don't realise that they are not on a real beach and it's a lot nearer than Skeggy! How about getting Goose Fair move back there and maybe that statue of Victoria that was relocated from outside the Bell down to the Embankment?

• Upvote 1

yeh your wedding sure to be coulorful lord bath, not long now , good look to you and the future lady bath

That's a great photo Radfordred! ;-)

I think people forget the old slab square had become rather tired and was in need of a major overhaul. It was also good to see traffic removed from the Long Row side and as for the OMS toilets, they were disgusting and should have been shut a decade earlier by either Health and Safety or the Vice Squad.

I don't mind the new version although I admit it would have been nice if they'd perhaps planted a few more trees or installed some modern art to break up the greyness. The move to a one level square is the obvious improvement and that has helped in the staging of events, I think the square is great when it's busy and there's something going on and it's full of people. The problem is those drab grey days......

yeh your wedding sure to be coulorful lord bath, not long now , good look to you and the future lady bath

And as you can see you can even have a bath after if you want to cool off :)

• 3 weeks later...