The Happy New Year thread

HAPPY NEW YEAR, from me and she who WILL be idolised, the wife, shes behind me aint she

talking to my idol, huh, this morning about last nights tv new year prog, Hootanany or whatever, reminiscing about years past when we sat up till midnight watching Andy Stewart and the White Heather Club, viewed a little bit this am on youtube, AHHH, Jimmy Shand, Moira Anderson, memories Eh

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year Nottstalgians Every Where Thankyou to you all, for all of the support you have given me over the last year in what has been a roller coaster of health problems. You have cheered me up

It's Here, 2015, Happy New year everyone from Jackie and me. Thanks for making Nottstalgia one of the best sites on the net. And thanks to those who help with the running of the site. Welcome to th

Just taking this opportunity to wish you a wonderful evening whatever you are doing and a fantastic 2015. Long life and may you all become a lottery winner lol

Just gorrup, so way behind yo lot, but Happy New Year to everyone. I don't have a N.Y. resolution, just a wish that everyone stays fit and well, and we're still all here this time next year.

• Upvote 4

Happy New Year from Bilbraborn & long suffering wifey. Please pray I get this flippin operation soon.

We had our first Scottish New Year in Glasgow at the start of 1970. I cut out the words to all the old Scottish songs and still have them. Remember Jimmy Shand, Andy Stewart, Jimmy Logan and the Alexandra Brothers. We used to see the Hogmannay on the STV, or go round to our local The Star and Garter on the Garscube Road. At midnight I would phone my parents and then hold the phone out of the window so they could hear all the ships in the docks hooting in the New Year. Sadly most of the docks and also the Clyde shipyards are history.

So in the words of my friends who still live north of the border 'A GUID NOO YEAR TAE YE AW'

• Upvote 3

Anyway, Christmas is over, New Year has begun, I'm looking forward to summer when we can all have fun.

Sorry about that. Soon be time to get in the greenhouse and start getting seeds started, clearing up the dead leaves in the garden and planning summer holidays and activities.

YABADABDOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

Stripped the bed today and almost put the sheets in the washer. Then my late m-i-l's voice came to me, don't wash a thing on New Year's Day, not even a pair of tights, if you do, you'll wash someone out of the family. Superstitious I know, but I've never risked it! Don't want the blame.

• Upvote 5

My mother was the most superstitious person I have ever known.......she warned me about washing on Good Friday and New Year's day but, I used to laugh at her as I am not superstitious.................My father was in hospital recovering from a routine operation and was on the mend.....I put the bedding in the washing machine, it was New Year's day 1988........he died unexpectedly with a heart attack on January 8th , he was only 66 and I was mortified............I have never washed since on either of those days...............

• Upvote 3

And I did a pile of washing yesterday rather than doing it today, for the same superstitious reason ....... my Mum always believed it and I don't want to be blamed, LOL

• Upvote 2

we didn't do any washing couldn't be bothered to get the dollytub and ponch out, not forgetting the dolly peg. bring back the twin tub. lol

• Upvote 2

I never do any housework at all on New Years Day. I hadn't heard that superstition, but I had been told that whatever you do on New Years day in the way of housework then you will spend all year doing it.

I had never heard the saying about not washing NYD. I've usually been too ill on that day ( With my throbbing head) to care about anything, Washing never entered my thoughts!

No problem with the saying about housework. If it is true, then it looks like I won't be doing to much housework this year. slywink

• Upvote 3

I never do any housework at all on New Years Day. I hadn't heard that superstition, but I had been told that whatever you do on New Years day in the way of housework then you will spend all year doing it.

I can remember my aunty Grace telling me that when I was a child - whatever you do on New Years day, you will doing it most through the year............I always remember it every year and try to do what I like most on that day and It does seem to work for me...............

• Upvote 2