Old television programmes

8 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Horse Racing on a weekday afternoon,

Whenever I visited Garden Street as a child, uncle George always had the racing on in the afternoons. I have no interest in horse racing but if ever I catch a glimpse of any on the news. I always think of him.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We do live in a very ‘horsey’ area. Mostly they’re just ridden round the lanes and bridle paths. One neighbour, a former member of the ‘caring profession’, a nurse, used to be the secretary of the Sou

Thank me later     

Magic Roundabout was voiced by Eric Thompson and after his death by Nigel Planer of The Young Ones fame. What I remember most was Zebedee always trying to bonk Florence as every show ended with Z

Ive never been into Horse racing..or any Gambling.......took enough gambles with ordinary life........

My Dad loved a little flutter most days.......down to the bookies... Bob each way on his fancy..........after retiring he'd spend longer in the bookies and sometimes have a ''Round Robin'' whatever that was.......he used to see many of his old Railway mates in there as well.......Think about him every time i drive past the old bookies.......still there.......

I totally agree Phil.  If whips were banned altogether then it would be  fair for all involved.  I know there are rules about the use of the whip but that’s a bit like saying you can only beat your dog/cat/wife? a certain number of times each week!!!

• Like 1

We do live in a very ‘horsey’ area. Mostly they’re just ridden round the lanes and bridle paths. One neighbour, a former member of the ‘caring profession’, a nurse, used to be the secretary of the South Notts Hunt. They obviously can’t hunt now and I don’t know if they still keep hounds at the Epperstone kennels. At one time the substitute for hunting was called ‘excercising hounds’! Another neighbour is into dressage which is a sort of dancing for horses. We have kept horses and ponies ourselves in the past but, in spite of many requests for livery, we prefer to keep our meadow for wildlife. It’s cut for hay annually otherwise it would be a complete wilderness. We do keep the fringes uncut for conservation. At last the lake, caused by the recent rains, is dwindling and a farmer from Morton has just been to cut the hedges. They’re are talking about holding village ‘open gardens’ again. We haven’t held this popular event since lockdown. In the past we’ve opened the meadow for the wildflower connoisseurs as we have an interesting display including wild orchids.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Did'nt watch this more than 25 years ago when it was ist aired.......but with not going out much in the mornings lately.......got really into its repeats.......

Even love the Music and words and the parts of Yorkshire it was filmed in...

Amazing how many of the actors have appeared in Corrie and Emmerdale too..........i know the area quite well having worked up there.....much of it was filmed in and around Huddersfield...think a couple of the main places were Slaithwaite and Marsden would you believe......i'm sure i recall sitting outside a little cafe years ago very close to the Viaduct shown in the opening credits in Marsden......the name Slaithwaite was changed to ''Skelthwaite'' for  the programme.......when i go to Bulwell now i tell the wife i'm going to ''Skelthwaite''........scenery is different but many of the characters remind me of my long gone Bulwell relatives........:)

@philmayfield  do you serve teas when you take part in the Open Gardens scheme.   Summer meet up at Phil’s anyone?

Morning MESS thanks for your reply your right about E Ward 10 I was also in love with the young doctor (not Jill)  pictures on my wall  Elvis / Fabian/ kookie sunset strip / and too many to mention.

Clifton you stay not sure about Bill n Ben ? have you ever thought though what Andy Pandy / Teddy / Lubby Loo/ did get up to in the basket when it was closed?

What was not on !!!! when coming home from school and putting Telly on children's programs taken off for Wimbledon

On 2/26/2023 at 8:27 AM, Cliff Ton said:

The Rupert Davies version of Maigret is always on Talking Pictures TV (which I realise may not be visible in Oz). I've watched a few because I never saw it first time round. It's stood the test of time pretty well.

Recently been watching the French version (original ?).......Maigret is played by Bruno Cremer.....brilliant actor and oddly enough looks very much like Rupert Davies.......although this 50 odd episodes is with Sub-titles...really enjoying it........

10 hours ago, mary1947 said:

have you ever thought though what Andy Pandy / Teddy / Lubby Loo/

And Torchy the battery boy, Twizzle,  Woodentops, Whirligig, Billy Bean all on Grandmas 9" TV

Talking of Woodentops, did you know, the very first episode of The Bill was called Woodentops.

Just saying.

• Like 1
On 1/29/2024 at 7:43 PM, Mess said:

I was born in 1950 and used to enjoy listening to Derek McCulloch aka Uncle Mac presenting Children’s Choice on Saturday morning radio on the Light programme.

Her you go Mess

• Like 1
On 1/29/2024 at 8:45 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Even when I was very young I thought that Bill & Ben were stupid and childish - especially with their flobolob language.

When Bill and Ben said flobalob they were trying to say flowerpot. A similar sounding word slogalog was their name for Slowcoach the tortoise.

The language they spoke was Oddle-Poddle, developed by Peter Hawkins, better known for all the voices in Captain Pugwash. 

4 hours ago, Brew said:

And Torchy the battery boy, Twizzle,  Woodentops, Whirligig, Billy Bean all on Grandmas 9" TV

Even as a kid I thought Torchy the battery boy and Twizzle were a bit naff.  I have heard of Whirligig but can't ever remember watching it. I have never heard of Billy Bean

Billy Bean and his wonderful machine... but you're right even kids knew they were daft, but hey they were real live moving pictures. Television newsreel was best program on Television back then, note it must called that, if I called it telly i was told off...

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

Even as a kid I thought Torchy the battery boy and Twizzle were a bit naff.  I have heard of Whirligig but can't ever remember watching it. I have never heard of Billy Bean

Oz,

I don't remember Twizzle but IIRC it was on ITV along with Torchy. ITV arrived in Nottingham where I lived in around 1956 or 1957. My friend at primary school had ITV installed early on and used to tell me about the ITV children’s programmes including Torchy.

You might recall that to receive ITV you needed a different aerial and sometimes a tweak to your TV for the different transmission frequency.

Twizzle and Torchy were early creations of Gerry Anderson as was Four Feather Falls which I don’t remember either lol.

I googled Billy Bean and found this:

https://nostalgiacentral.com/television/tv-by-decade/tv-shows-1950s/billy-bean-funny-machine/

It was on BBC from 1954-56 and like you I don't remember it.

Interestingly the programme featured the voice of Peter Hawkins.

Hawkins Wikipedia entry is fascinating. He was in great demand for his voices. Apparently he was the voice behind Rainbow's Zippy, Spotty Dog in the Woodentops (did he speak?) and Whirligig’s Mr Turnip amongst many others.

7 hours ago, Mess said:

You might recall that to receive ITV you needed a different aerial and sometimes a tweak to your TV for the different transmission frequency.

I remember the H shaped aerial for the BBC and then the Band III (ITV aerials). We lived quite high up near Mansfield and could get signals from the Lichfield/Sutton Coldfield transmitter for Midland TV and from Emley Moor/Holme Moss for Northern TV.

I don't ever remember the Spotty Dog speaking or even woofing.

I looked at the link for Billy Bean and still don't remember it

• Like 1

HI Mess     You will get a telling off by the children it was not just a Spotty dog?

It was the biggest Spotty dog that you ever did see/

NOW going up the years   "Billy Bunter" / Dr Who, /  Sunday the stories and books of Charles Dickens/  Magpie / Blue Peter/ Think of a number/  can you name more ?

Correct      5*