Crikey, that's a difficult one. A Maudsley maybe or a Bristol? Rear entrance too, quite unusual. I reckon Stephen Ford is the man for this. 

I would say that it is East Midland (in the old colour scheme of chrome yellow, chocolate and cream, used until the mid 50s when they adopted all-over red - boring!). My guess is that it is a Leyland, from the days before the deep radiator was developed. Rear entrance single deckers weren't all that rare, and East Midland certainly had plenty of them over the years. What is more unusual is the outward opening swing door, which probably indicates that it's a coach, rather than a bus. Opening a sliding door as the bus came to a stop was fine, but you didn't want enthusiastic passengers (or conductors) throwing open a swing door, and clobbering unsuspecting folk on the pavement !

StephenFord - do you think it IS a Leyland - the name on the radiator looks strange, almost lozenge-shaped. But I'm far from sure it's a Gilford - there were so many manufacturers in those days!

I wonder if Cliff Ton can make out the registration on the original photo.

Studying the photo - is that a roof rack towards the rear, with cases piled on it, or is it part of the building behind it?

Just seen a picture of 1929 Guy double decker in Derby on facebook East Midlands Transport Remembered. The radiator looks rather similar. I wonder if this was a Guy? (We'd better finish this private discussion soon, or they'll start throwing things at us!)

• 2 weeks later...

Before you do Stephen here's my ha'porth, I'm no bus enthusiast but I think it's the bands transport with the 'emergency exit' door open while the instruments are unloaded, are the 'roadies' carrying a drum?

Can't agree with you Albert. The bus is right-hand drive, and usually pulls up at kerbs on the left side of the road. The door shown is the only one on that side, (no other door handles) so must be a rear-entry bus; which didn't matter if there was a conductor.