Nottingham pubs you dislike

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took earlier today, pretty close?  

You can't go back even if you wanted to.  When I first returned to Nottingham for a holiday in 1974.  My old sec mod school hand been turned into an infants school. The big railway yard in N

I can imagine. I've seen your mum in that Nottingham At War book. She was a real looker.

Plenty of obvious contenders such as:

Yates

Flares

and other shot(sic)holes.

Of the ones I've been tempted into in recent years the Sir Joseph Else in Market Square and the Goose in the Square (sorry Beefy if you're reading).

The Wetherspoon effort on Canal St is pretty rubbish as well.

I float in and out with Langtrys (probably quite literally!) It has some good points but it's scruffy and closes early.

• 3 years later...

The Lord John was always one of the most featureless pubs ever, closely followed by the Toll Bar.

#56 Was that the King John on Carrington Street, Fly? If so I'd definitely agree. In the seventies I used to see Robbo and a few of the other Forest lads drinking in there sometimes and I could never see the appeal it had to my friends.

Yes, that's the one..... Depressing in the extreme.

In general, the Mansfield Road pub crawl into town is certainly not what it was. The one saving grace in this area is the Lincolnshire Poacher which is much the same as always - love it or loath it, (I'm in the former).

The Forest Tavern, now more often referred to as The Maze is primarily a music venue which is fine and dandy. It always was but the Tavern at the front always feels a non-starter for just a drink these days which didn't used to be the case.

The Loft? I'll let others comment (if it's indeed still open). Haven't been tempted for years.

The Nag's Head? They carried out a decent refurbishment not long ago but this pub always seems to attract problems.

The Golden Fleece? Again, recently refurbished quite well but totally lacking customers. Real ale drinking friends tell me the much-vaunted choice of beers is seldom in evidence.

The Peacock? Has never changed much in years really. Probably a second choice for me after the Poacher along this stretch though rarely use it.

The Rose of England? One of the great and unspoken benefits of the smoking ban has been that a pub's clientele is advertised outside the front door these days.

A regular crawl for my lot was around the Market Square. Mid 60's.

A half in each till it was getting late, so here goes.

The Bell, 6pm, then Imperial, News House, Royal Children, Sal, the Ind Coope one near the bottom of Exchange Walk, Flying Horse, The Exchange, Dog & Bear, QE, Black Boy, Crystal Palace, White Lion, Corner Pin, Miltons Head, the other Ind Coope one, Blue Bell, Turf Tavern, Peach Tree, Guildhall Tavern, then collapse into the Cocktail Bar upstairs at the Spread Eagle. Great days.

That's it, the one on Parliament St was Ind Coope . Coach & Horses I think.

• Upvote 1

That's lovely Lizzie, I bet it was nicer and very popular in those days.

I can imagine. I've seen your mum in that Nottingham At War book. She was a real looker.

• Upvote 2