popothepixie

xmas pork pie breakfast

Hello.Only just joined so reply may be late.My grandfarther.who came from Hucknall,served on H.M.S. Royal Oak at the battle of Juttland.Being away at sea one christmas he and his mate who came from Mansfield,Asked for "Pork Pie" for breakfast to remind them of home.Years later after grandma died he came to live with us in Calverton,around about 1959,he had carried on the tradition so passed it on to me.Being a grandfather myself now,Im 66 I still have as do my grand chilldren,and great grand chilldren,Pork Pie on Christmas morning.I dont know if this is the origin however me spare a thought at christmas breakfast for all the brave sailor's who have lost there lives at sea.

I came from Hucknall so may have known your family, I have lots of friends in Calverton too as a lot of the Hucknall folk moved there in the late 50's for the pit and the houses.........

Pork pie??- all liquids here!,rum coffees, then a light breakfast wine,maybe a fitou or 3,bubbles with the bird...might even chance a liquor choc!

It's Christmas morning here in oz and I'd give anything for a nice real English pork pie ! breakfast lunch or tea for that matter.

My good lady bought me a local offering the other day, I got quite excited as it looked very good, wrong, tasted of bloody bacon and was pink inside ! my spaniel enjoyed it though.

Bah, Humbug, I hate Christmas ! a quiet one for us this year, as no family within cooee of us, they're all off doing their thing anyway.

Did the Facetime thing last evening before they all saddled up and left for their holidays, but not quite the same as a good hug, from our gorgeous grandkids and kids.

• Upvote 4

My grandmother came from Melton Mowbray, so we always had pork pie for - breakfast on Christmas morning. Source: Alan the butcher in Victoria Road Netherfield - his pies were prize winners. My ex-wife has taken up the tradition - now that I live in Devon, we had M&S pie on Christmas Eve morning, and finished it off for tea tonight, Boxing Day. A bit posh, no jelly but chestnuts!! Scrummy anyway!

• Upvote 1

Used to enjoy the traditional pork pies at Christmas with mustard....as a matter of fact - used to enjoy them anytime.

Down here in Oz, they have no idea how to make them and after several wasted purchases over the years, have stopped buying them.

However, just wait until we are back in the UK next year!

• Upvote 1

Just finished the last of the pork pie for my breakfast this morning. Healthy eating starts tomorrow! (Honest!)

• Upvote 1

We have about two more days supply of Christmas food to get through. I always over do it on purpose, because I have to cater for so many visitors and I don't like to run out, also I am not a very good judge of quantity. It works out great; because after the two busy days it means we can take it easy and use up all the food that is readily prepared. We aren't quite ready to go back to healthy eating yet!

Probably Bubble and cold meat for breakfast again.....and lunch......and supper! Only half a Trifle left; so that will dissappear sometime today. The only thing that hasn't gone to well this year is Pork Pie. Looks like the birds are in for a treat tomorrow.

• Upvote 3

my son (38 ) still gets me a scotch for breakfast ( only at Christmas sadly)

I always wondered about this.  My Dad has always maintained this tradition. His father was from Nottingham, so that explains it nicely. There seem to be a lot of Merrins originating in the Nottingham area.

Welcome, d'Artaignan, to Nottstalgia, where I'm certain you'll find much to interest you and to share with members.

My father, a Beeston lad, was also a pork pie and brown sauce on Christmas morning devotee. He always ordered a whopper of a pie and collected it on Christmas eve.

He loved mustard too, Merthyr, but it was always brown sauce on Christmas morning, either HP or, appropriately enough, Daddies!

Ben will know the prices for both!   Ta, Ben!   ;)

Welcome to the forum d'Artaignan, hope you enjoy browsing and continue to post.  

I'm envious of your location as I've spent time in Antigua, it's a a lovely island. 

Also MUST be english mustard, not the french rubbish !

212#............Daddies 1/6............HP...........1/11..................Had a brand today i'd never heard of 'Bramwells' on me Ham n Eggs'......bleddy awful,felt right off ever since.....................

• Upvote 1

Vesta Beef Curry Ben?...Puffin Pilchards?..Newforge Irish Stew?...77 washing up liquid?... Princes pastes?...Hill biscuits?..

Vesta also did chow mein in a box. Everything inside had the appearance of shredded cardboard. Desiccated noodles. All had to be hydrated and then cooked.

Tasted like....soggy cardboard...but it was the novelty value, I suppose!

:(

Vestas were terrific, when we were kids, me and my little sister used to do them for supper. We liked the ones with the crispy noodles best. We thought the MSG tasted lovely.

Cardboard indeed Jill,before oven chips..I seem to recall large drums of instant mash flakes- made by McCain.

I've heard of Branston's but not Bramwells.  Is it new? I take it Marsden's didn't stock it, with them having only high class stuff....and staff!   ;)

• Upvote 1

216 #..............some good old brands there Ian..................and Jill,think Bramwells new'    ,wife got it from Morrisons,.......and on the subject of Pork Pies............Marsdens only stocked Parrs and at Xmas the shop on Andover road was full of em,all ordered weeks before........I used to work for Marsdens you know......................

• Upvote 1