Just When You Thought Winter..

Meanwhile, our George had built an Octo-Snowman and filled it full of dog biscuits

feb2snow026.jpg

This caused much clever thought by the dogs on how to get their gobs round them.

feb2snow029.jpg

So whats it like today, appalling, no schools open again, no traffic, all roads covered in sheet ice, madam has taken an hour to crawl into work and rescue the ponies.

With more snow predicted later and the temperature unlikely to rise it's going to be grim again later, her pal is going to bring her home in her 4x4 otherwise they'll all be kipping in the office with it's negligable heating system.

Did we have all this trouble in the Big Freeze in 63, noooooooo, was everything brought to a standstill like this then, noooooooo.

Can you believe that the buses and tubes were not running in Central London yesterday, does it snow in the underground tunnels then.............

From what I hear off the local radio, it's not helped by Health and Safety having a field day about risks in the local playgrounds, that's all right then, send them home and let them go walking on thin ice down the river, it's not their problem then is it.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Margie, just the Scots !

Seeyoufu@kingpric*thatyouarecatfanf*c*ingsassanacckyoullgetafu*8ingglasgeekiss..................lol.

down here,,, when things were changing to metric, our local builders yard sold timber in metric by length & imperial by volume !!!!

we had to buy 3.8 meters of 4 by 2 inch ! Was that only in Cornwall ?

Yep - we got snow today as well. Beautiful spring-like sunny day - with a white carpet all over.

I don't recall snow down here since '88.

Ayup firbeck,

You have a point about the elf and safety, with us now being in a "claim culture" company's are worried in case any one has an accident on their premises and get sued by the IP, for example if some one slipped on ice/snow getting off a bus or train they could sue the bus/train company for not looking after it's costumers by failing to provide a safe environment for them, that is why the country comes to a standstill if we have any so called "adverse weather" whatever happened to looking after ourselves and being more careful in the snow or ice?

Rog

Your postman can also sue you if he slips over on your path !!! (2 years of studying H+S tought me that!!)

Actually can you be sued?

The conditions are caused by the weather, (not you), which is the same in the street or any other garden?

They should be provided with appropriet footwear by their employer, who would expect them to work

in all weathers.

Now if you clear your path and they slip on ice its could be you that is liable?

First you have to show the property owner has a "duty of care"

Secondly you have to prove injury and/or damage

Third, you have to prove that the injury or damage is due to the failure in the "duty of care"

But sleep easy- if you have public liability insurance with your household cover, your covered.

Power lines covered in ice brought down power poles over hundreds of square miles, trees down loaded with ice...

John,

As this seems to be a perennial feature in the USA winter, has a long-term scheme ever been proposed to lay the power lines underground? Logically beginning the exercise in the areas which are most vulnerable...Obama says he is to allocate $500bn+ for 'national refurbishment'.

Cheers

Robt P.

National media has a wonderful time with snowfall reporting...

First few flakes landing within the M25 stockade bring out all the cliches...'national chaos'...'freezing commuters'...'your legal rights'...'send us your pictures'...only travel if really necessary'...'ambulance service totally inundated'...'bulldog British spirit'...'economic disaster' et al.

As the falls move away northward its no longer London gutter press headlines, or 20 minutes news leads on TV - relegated rapidly to item 8 in reporting importance.

South-Eastern issues expected to be of concern to all and sundry [Olympics anyone?] - sorry, they are unable to reciprocate for Northumbria and Aberdeenshire.

Cheers

Robt P.

go job me bikes up to it....

welcome back Rob hope you are feeling better meduk, I heard through the grape vine that you weren't all that well, glad to have you back besides someone has to keep me in cheque.......lol

Its bloody back picture taken this morning.....

Bip.

111111a067.jpg

... welcome back Rob hope you are feeling better meduk...

Thanks Den...back to my usual 68% fit. Rather like an Italian motorist, I merely travel from one crisis to another...

Have bravely walked the length of my drive*, until turned back by the weather...

* 5'6" long.

Cheers

Robt P.

It was -26C this morning when I left for work! We still have at least 1' of snow on our deck!

Regarding the underground power lines - yes, many areas now require what we call "underground utilities" - that includes power, phone and cable but only for new developments. It does work very well - cuts down on outages for several reasons, and cleans up the appearance of a development. However, major power lines would be horrendously expensive to lay underground - note they don't do that in the UK either.

I believe there are some areas that are being retrofitted to underground lines - but it is difficult due to "right of way" requirements etc. However, the US is slowly waking up to the idea that spending a little extra "up front" avoids higher costs in the future!