Just When You Thought Winter..

Was just about over, we get a major ice storm warning! I hate those, although we have only had a couple of small ones since we moved down here in Southern Missouri. But this one is huge and will leave a trail of broken power poles, wires down and large accidents in it's wake!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Margie, just the Scots !

Seeyoufu@kingpric*thatyouarecatfanf*c*ingsassanacckyoullgetafu*8ingglasgeekiss..................lol.

At this very moment (9:55am) it is THREE degrees Farenheit in sunny South Lyon, Michigan!

Between Dec 15-25 we had over 4ft of snow, which has slowly been going, but not quite [we're in the pine trees] now it's snowing again this morning. Right now it's what we call 'Styrofoam balls' which are bouncing. Roll on spring.

I've just rolled up my beach towel and come in off the back lawn. Mind you I am suffering from hypothermia pnumonia and frost bite!!

It was weird here this morning, I opened the bedroom curtains and it was white over(Really heavy frost) so I got the kids ready and headed out to the car armed with warm water to defrost everything , it had completely melted (In about 3/4 of an hour) Heaven only knows how much the temperature had risen in that short time , but it's bloody freezing cold again now!!!

Well it's not that cold, mid 20'sF, but it's a mess, at least at this moment we still have power, but if it keeps up, I can see us losing it, power lines are coated in a layer of ice! It's coming down as ice pellets at the moment, that's a bit of a relief, but as the airtemp warms a few hundred feet above us, then we will get icy rain that freezes on contact.

Several states from Oklahoma right through to New York are going to suffer this storm before the days over!

If you don't see me posting then I've lost power and will be off until the crews can get out and restore power. Might be days the way the roads are around here!! Everything is closed down.

Best off luck John. Keep as warm as possible mate

I've just been to fetch Charlotte from school and it started to snow!!!

It was a bit wierd down here today Beefsteak, no frost but thick fog and the cars were covered in condensation inside and out, I had to stop and clean the inside of the windscreen while going to get some diesel for Liz at 7:30, never had to do that before with our computerised Peugot, switch the bloomin thing on and it tends to sort itself out quickly.

At the moment it's like spring outside, warm and sunny, the daffodils are about to come out in the front garden, much later than last year, but they are ready to go. Trouble is what happens in the States often hits us a week later, global warming, what do you think, eh.

Well that was one hell of a nasty storm, we had an inch of ice from freezing rain, some areas had three inches of ice!! To top it off, several inches of snow too.

The whole path of the storm paralyzed areas, several counties in Missouri and dozens of counties in Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Tennessee were without electricity from Tuesday evening and some are still without it as I post. Ours went out Tuesday at about 6-00pm and only came on tonight at about 7-00pm. Hundreds of linesmen have been drafted into the affected areas.

Power lines covered in ice brought down power poles over hundreds of square miles, trees down loaded with ice and roads totally impassible even to 4WD vehicles. Even phones were out due to the length of power outage. All the towns in my county and a large town in the next county were without electricity, water and sewage!

It was a mess and still is!

We ran a generator to keep out fridge and freezer running.

Ice storms!! Just be thankful you don't get them in old Blighty!

I see in Kentucky, which was harder hit than us, people could be without power for up to six weeks!

This storm has caused more damage than Hurricane Katrina did!

How do trains in Oz stay on the tracks anyway...aren't they upside down !laughing!

another puzzle is IF it were possible to dig a hole as in with shovel etc and you got through to australia would you come out there feet first? :crazy:

It's just about all thawed out around here, yesterday was a sunny mild day and today will be the same, good riddance to the ice and snow!!.

I'll post some piccies the wife took when she down loads them from her camera.

It's just started snowing here (second time today ) it's not that heavy . It's bloody cold though!! although I've never seen warm snow .

Snow??? snow??? When I were a lad, we used to see that in mid July! We walked bare foot in twenty foot snow drifts ower pit tips to get to our dugout after doing 28 hour shift underground in mid winter!!

Jan2009icestorm08.jpg

This is an oak tree that stands at the edge of our property on the main driveway in.