Watson Fothergill Brewery

No, though I know Fellows does/did have a micro brewery.

The building in question was designed specifically as a "proper" brewery and is still standing. And of course it has all the trademark details one would associate with a Watson Fothergill design. :)

Cheers,

Bamber

I only discovered its original purpose a couple of weeks ago.

The building always seemed so out of place up their on the hill. For years it was hidden from view, but now they have demolished the secondhand car lot on Station Road you can see it in all its glory.

I was so intrigued I went into Carlton Library and spent an hour going through their collection of local photos before I fell upon the fact that it had been a brewery.

If I get the time I'll pop into the Local Studies library and see if I can find out some more details. Failing that I might bump into Richard Studeney (Nottingham Camra) in the Rose of England.

Cheers,

Bamber

Try and get some copy pics or info if you can to Post here Bamber.

I would be interested.

When I moved in in 75 it was a Printers. I think it was later split into units?

Owt on the internet?

Hi Mick2Me:

Will do. My bet is that its life as a brewery was pretty short.

A few years ago there was talk of demolishing the building :o but it is now in the process of being converted into, you guessed it, apartments (whatever happened to good ol' flats?). Have to admit they could be very nice with all the old architectural details.

Cheers,

Bamber

Very, very little information in the local studies library on Angel Row - no pictures.

The Mar Hill Brewery opened in 1899 and was owned by a Mr Vickers. The Grade II Listed building was subsequently converted into a dye house and laundry.

I'll try some alternative lines of enquiry.

• 7 months later...

Needs a BUMP

I was there last week, but with things on my mind, I did not notice if the building was still there?. I dont remember seeing it?

But there are new buildings being put up at the front along station road where the Telephone Exchange used to be.

Anyone know if it has been knocked down?

• 14 years later...
  • 1 year later...