Reg Guest - Guitar/Vocalist

It was, and still is behind the Royal Oak.

Note the use of the Oxford comma claimed to be missing from the new 50p piece...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51269012

What does the team think? right or wrong?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does anyone know anything about Reg Guest - popular guitar/vocalist around Notts in the 60s and 70s? He ran a trio "The Reg Guest Trio" and entertained as a resident at the Cherry Tree Pub on Collyer

Well benjamin i have news for you i am one of evelyn and regs daughters  x   

I'm agreeing with you and reiterating that I too would use an ampersand but not a feral )      

8 hours ago, Brew said:

Note the use of the Oxford comma claimed to be missing from the new 50p piece...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51269012

What does the team think? right or wrong?

I think the Oxford comma is unnecessary in this case as 'prosperity' isn't followed by another 'and'

• Like 1

I think Pullman is being pedantic over the the use of the ‘Oxford Comma’. I feel it reads better without the insertion. We do have some silly and archaic rules pertaining to the written language. I have had to reread my post to remove the split infinitives! Only in legalese where the misuse of commas might create anomalies is the attention to detail really necessary. Please note that I have avoided commas where I could have used them!

• Like 1

There's another 'rule' about commas which I've always thought stupid.

Apparently, if you have a list of items, you aren't supposed to be a comma before the last item; eg.  I remember old shops including Marsden, Pearsons, Griffin and Spalding, Woolworths and Jessops.

In my view there should be a comma after 'Woolworths' because the absence implies there's a link between Woolworths and Jessops (similar to Griffin and Spalding) but there isn't.

Yes, I suppose that would make sense in that particular sentence unless G&S was written with an ampersand which would make it a bit clearer that Woolworths and Jessops weren't an item!

34 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Mr Google is your friend BK.  He will explain what an Oxford comma is

Asked mr.Google Margie, now I'm even more confused than ever. That's the problem with having a limited vocabulary....Still don't know owt. 

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

There's another 'rule' about commas which I've always thought stupid.

Apparently, if you have a list of items, you aren't supposed to be a comma before the last item; eg.  I remember old shops including Marsden, Pearsons, Griffin and Spalding, Woolworths and Jessops.

In my view there should be a comma after 'Woolworths' because the absence implies there's a link between Woolworths and Jessops (similar to Griffin and Spalding) but there isn't.

Tricky one that CliffTon, 'and' appears twice in the sentence. Personally I would use an ampersand to  indicate the words form a completed name and the 'and' is not a separator. A comma before 'and' has always seemed wrong to me.

2 minutes ago, MargieH said:

That's what I said - about using an ampersand) in my post, Brew!  

I'm agreeing with you and reiterating that I too would use an ampersand but not a feral )      ;)

• Like 1

I seem to remember a TS3 artic being fined for speeding and dangerous driving on the M6, reported to be doing 105mph.

Pity they never finished developing the TS4.

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2010 at 10:31 PM, marshallk said:

Does anyone know anything about Reg Guest - popular guitar/vocalist around Notts in the 60s and 70s?

He ran a trio "The Reg Guest Trio" and entertained as a resident at the Cherry Tree Pub on Collyer Road Calverton on Wednesday nights.

He also played the clubs and Miner's Welfare clubs when such venues were operating; sadly many have folded following the collapse of the Notts coalield mining industry.

I can remember him playing at a pub in Gedling on Friday nights in the 60's...….Think it was the Grey Goose.my friend was very infatuated with him back then, he played at a pub in Hucknall later on...…..Not heard of him for years wonder if he is still alive...…….