Coronation Street

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't Coronation Street due another disaster? Couldn't a 747 crash on it And meanwhile Emmerdale Gets wiped out in a flash flood We can all live in hope

When I was young and single in the 1960's I used to hang around the Playhouse Bar with the incrowd on a Sturday night.....................Sometimes when the plays finished we were allowed into the Gre

I quite enjoyed Corrie in the early sixties (black and white, grainy 405 lines and no remote). It used to remind me of the terraced houses with back yards and outside toilets where I lived in Forest F

Saw Bernard Youens in The George Hotel one night 1971, had a natter, lovely bloke.

Also met the very nice Sue Nicholls, amongst quite a few celebs who frequented a shop I ran in London during the eighties.

• Upvote 1

When I was young and single in the 1960's I used to hang around the Playhouse Bar with the incrowd on a Sturday night.....................Sometimes when the plays finished we were allowed into the Greenroom by the usher and mixed with the cast, often we drank and partied until dawn......I met many an actor/actress who were not famous them, ie......Mark Mc Manas, Wilfred Bramble, Nicola Pagett, Geoffrey Hughes who played Eddie Yates in Corrie and then went onto be Onslow..........The best was Robert Powell, he chatted me up and took me to the ABC Cinema on a date, he was so poor that I payed, he said he would give me the money back when he got rich and famous, which he did....... We arranged another date, but I stood him up, can't believe I did that.......Then a few years later in the 70' s they all became famous on the telly...... Robert Powell went on to marry Babs Lord who danced on Top of the Pops, maybe if I had not stood him up, who knows, he may have married me (I wish) - wonder if he remembers me ?............Believe me or not, this is a true story..............

I also saw Ken Goodwin the comedian in a hotel in Scarbarough and Freddie Star in a pub back in the 70's when we were holidaying on the Norfolk Broads........Harry Seacombe when we holidayed up near the Borders and that designer guy, Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen it was in Port Issacs, he has a shop there, he was great, very friendly, shared a glass of red wine with him..........

• Upvote 4

Saw Bernard Youens in The George Hotel one night 1971, had a natter, lovely bloke.

Also met the very nice Sue Nicholls, amongst quite a few celebs who frequented a shop I ran in London during the eighties.

Lucky duck....

SWMBO & Mother-in-law watch it & Eastenders & some Australian soap, drives me flipping mad, they go on as though it's real life. If I talk while they are on they shout & make a fuss. I talk or sing on purpose just to wind them up, that's great fun. :)

• Upvote 1

I quite enjoyed Corrie in the early sixties (black and white, grainy 405 lines and no remote). It used to remind me of the terraced houses with back yards and outside toilets where I lived in Forest Fields. Stan Ogden and Jerry Booth were my favourite characters. Graham Haberfield used to remind me of my schoolfriend David Langford (aka Bruno). He also looked a bit like Wayne Rooney.

My wife was addicted to Crossroads and I also enjoyed the early episodes but eventually the Brummie accents and bloody Larry Grayson put me right off. My good lady lived in Nuneaton for several years which is probably why it appealed to her.

Eastenders I disliked from the outset. The cockney accent I also find irritating.

I've always had a thing about accents. My Nottingham accent has faded over the years. I live in Northants now but I soon revert when I visit the city.

I vividly remember a poncy London recruitment agent referring to me as a dour Northerner in an interview some years ago. Cheeky barsteward. It still grates to this day.

• Upvote 2

I used to love Corrie , but as usual, it's turned out to be full of psychos, drug dealers and fags. Let's have some fun and laughter !!!!

Certainly some sad deluded sods amongst us.

I seem to remember people sending presents to Noel Gordon when she got married in Crossroads and didn't Larry Hagman get set upon in the street when he was JR in Dallas?

Afraid so TRD. What's the world coming to ?

I quite enjoyed Corrie in the early sixties (black and white, grainy 405 lines and no remote). It used to remind me of the terraced houses with back yards and outside toilets where I lived in Forest Fields. Stan Ogden and Jerry Booth were my favourite characters. Graham Haberfield used to remind me of my schoolfriend David Langford (aka Bruno). He also looked a bit like Wayne Rooney.

My wife was addicted to Crossroads and I also enjoyed the early episodes but eventually the Brummie accents and bloody Larry Grayson put me right off. My good lady lived in Nuneaton for several years which is probably why it appealed to her.

Eastenders I disliked from the outset. The cockney accent I also find irritating.

I've always had a thing about accents. My Nottingham accent has faded over the years. I live in Northants now but I soon revert when I visit the city.

I vividly remember a poncy London recruitment agent referring to me as a dour Northerner in an interview some years ago. Cheeky barsteward. It still grates to this day.

When Coronation st,started i liked it because it was the only prog. that resembled our life in Nottingham and the accent was more like ours,but i can't stand todays Manchester accent nowt like ours now.....Like you Mess i also have a 'thing' about accents,but unlike you i love the 'Brummy' one and even the 'cockney' one........especially the way they pronounce swear words...lol.

I detest Brummie, Scouse, Geordie, Cockney, Welsh accents. The perpetrators seem to glorify their afflictions and tend to over emphasise the accent.

I do love the Edinburgh accent though.

• Upvote 1

I'm not keen on next doors, never mind the next street. Hucknall Rd has become similar to an immigration distribution centre. LOL

• Upvote 1

I loved the Scouse accent in the 60s mainly because of The Beatles. Not so keen now. I think Derek Hatton turned me against it.

I agree with benjamin1945 that the Manchester and Nottingham accents have diverged over the years. I went to uni in Salford in the early seventies and could hardly noticed the difference then.

The pronunciation of swear words is also quite amusing. My mum and dad (Nottingham born & bred) used to say bleddy hell whilst my Yorkshire maternal grandmother would say bloody hell and my Eastend mother in law would say bleeding hell.

Victor Meldrew's drawn out bleddy hell is how I say it now. Not the only Meldrewism I've adopted.

BTW my 20 year old son says f***ing hell. No class. He must get it from me.

How times have changed.

The F word used to be very lower class but even Royalty use it now.

SWMBO & Mother-in-law watch it & Eastenders & some Australian soap, drives me flipping mad, they go on as though it's real life. If I talk while they are on they shout & make a fuss. I talk or sing on purpose just to wind them up, that's great fun. :)

What does SWMBO mean ?...

That's solely so the plebs and chavs can understand them.

Yes Mess, I've got one like that. I only have to breathe out of sequence and there's a bloody inquest.