when were they popular ???

I reckon the classic chippy started to disappear in the 70s. They were the ones where you got fish and/or chips in newspaper, and that was almost all they sold, along with pies and mushy peas. If a building from those days still exists it will have become an Indian/Chinese takeaway, or maybe pizzas. These days if a place sells chips it is almost a designer-type outfit (George's anybody?), nothing like the ones I remember as a kid.

To prove the point, the shop unit on the extreme left here http://www.pictureth...002405&prevUrl= was the first chip shop I knew. Classic old-school type....., chips and nowt else. The building is still there and it's been a takeaway for years.

And does anyone remember asking for batter bits ?

"And does anyone remember asking for batter bits ?"

Used to get a "shilling mix", chips & mushy peas + batter bits if yo wos luckeh!!

Back in the 1980's a boarded up building was opened up in Ruddington and in the front room was a chippy complete with fryer and till that was left over from the 1940's, still had the newspaper for wrapping up the chips, turns out it was the village chippy forgotten by all the locals, can anyone remember this being in the news?

Rog

The first house in the row of terraced houses is teh chippy that I grew up with. Used to belong to a German lady who always gave excellent portions and loved children. After she left here she took a shop on Carlton Hill and thence once in Dunkirk. I haven't seen her since about 1977.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC002372&pos=3&action=zoom&id=39594

• 2 weeks later...

Braddy,

The Carlton Road Chippy was by the old Nottingham suburban railway bridge on the left going down towards town and the Dunkirk chip shop was, as I recall, on the corner of Montpelier road and Marlborough road in Dunkirk. Just looked at Google earth and the whole area around Dunkirk seems to have been redeveloped.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Braddy, I think the chippy was somewhere near the village green, but I do remember the shop you talk of at the bottom of the bridge, last time I went past there it looked like a pottery or ceramics shop

Rog

Compo - I remember that Salop Street chippy really well. We used to use it occasionally but more often the chippy at Redhill, Easoms. It's set me thinking as to how many chippies there were around the Arnold area back in the sixties. Anyone remember the one on Cross Street?

I used Easom's fairly regularly on my forays to the "Arch Bridge" as a teenager. I'm afraid I unremember the Cross St. Chippy, unless it was on the block of shops at the Cross St end of Goodwood Avenue/ Stanhope Cres.?

There was a bicycle repair shop on James St (off Cross st.) and an old school at the bottom of James St. Looking at Google Earth they both seem to be long gone.

The chippy on Cross Street was a little further down towards Arnold, pretty well opposite Webster's scrap yard/dairy? At the opposite end of that row of terraces was Crosiers' corner shop which was on the corner of Furlong Street(?) which led on to the foot of James Street.

I remember the bike repair shop well and also the little sweet shop opposite called Taylor's. There were two schools at the foot of James Street, either side of College Street as I think it was called at the time, High Street Infants and the girls junior school opposite. That area is mainly taken up by an old folk's residential home these days.

My mother lived on high Street and went to the junior school. I think she was in Daybrook throughout her infant schooldays. I remember the Scrapyard - there was a track or lane alongside leading through to Redhilll Road I think. I was at shcool with the girls from one of the three storey terraces opposite the yard. The one in my class was Shirley Leddy (Leddie?) ...Going back 55yrs so spelling unsure. Now that you mention it I do remember the corner of Cross St and furlong St. but cannot bring an image to mind. Is that where a sheltered housing scheme was built in about 1970?

I think that corner of Furlong Street and Cross Street has normal housing on it Compo, probably built around 1980s. There is indeed some sheltered housing on the ground of what would have been the Baptist Church burial ground. That's on the east side corner opposite where Crosier's shop was.

There is also some sheltered housing next to what was the scrapyard on the same side of Cross Street. A path leads through there on to Stanhope Road where it meets Cherry Close, an unmade road (at that end). That's the track through to Redhill Road. If you recall those three-storey terraces, the end one was the shop. I don't think it was a business that was that old because I certainly remember it opening which would have been sixties/seventies. All of that row is now replaced with newer housing.

Re Redhill Road, it was possible to drive straight down it onto Cross Street facing High Street in Arnold in those days. As you probably know it has long been blocked to traffic. Another notable building around that area was the doctor's surgery at the foot of Redhill Road in Arnold. Several GP's were there in the sixties that stayed in Arnold for many year, including Dr's Graham, Jacobs and Lobb.

Yes I remember the doctors well. In the 1950s the surgery waiting room had red fibreglass chairs with steel frames. Dr Lobb was a lady and Graham & Jacobs men. I think it was Dr Graham that had a jar of boiled sweets in his surgery for the children.

I remember the terrace because of my school friend but not, alas, the shop.