best nottingham places?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most of the places I liked probably paved over for car parks now!

Nice idea for a thread. Looks like a good topic for a blog. As as been stated on here before, you can see Belvoir Castle on a clear day from near Arnold. That will do for me. A few more obvious one

Belvoir isn't visible from Arnold per say , but from Mapperly top! (Seeing as Arnold is down the other side of the hill!) Plains Road is a good veiw point , around the Catfoot lane junction, it's arou

In Loughborough there are so many "modern" monstrosities ("new buildings") I was thinking of running a campaign to have the town "twinned" with "Lego Land"

What have you got against Lego Land!

The Black Boy had to be demolished as it was falling into the caves below (IMMSC) Shame about the thing they put up to replace it though.

It was mentioned on here a long while ago . I've just spent an hour trawling through the archives to no avail.

Surely the main building is still there? (designed by T.C. Hine)

as you and Braddy say it is still standing, however after closure it was left empty and finished up heavily vandalised and derelict till it was renovated at god knows what cost before being left empty and finishing up in the same state again! if not more so after an arson attack. Sure the main building is still standing but instead of being used as a possible museum recording Nottingham's 5 railway companies who had stations or goods depots in the city it is now in private ownership with little chance of the general public viewing it's internal rooms etc

susyhoes,

Looks like it's all part of the South Nottingham College, who certainly inhabit the main building areas.....................

In Loughborough there are so many "modern" monstrosities ("new buildings") I was thinking of running a campaign to have the town "twinned" with "Lego Land"

There is still Loughborough Central Station though :o)

Thanks for posting those pics Ashley. I believe that the train shed was used as a goods depot for many years before final closure. i have a photo somewhere....

i thought it was being used as a gym now?

From Wikipedia:

Although severely damaged by fire in the late 1990s, the station building has been restored and was converted to a Holmes Place health and fitness club.[6] It is now used as a Virgin Active Health Club.

Yes know what you mean Pooh, and although it looks like it it's not a tip (well not an official one!) it is in Nottingham, and there's a railway connection,in fact had I took that picture pre 1967 I'd have been on the line, but not near sneinton

Ashley,the photos of low level station you put on look grim to look at. I worked in them buildings at the weekends ,in the 60s/70s handling sunday newspapers and it was grim then