Which seaside town was best?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a youngster we left the car in Skegness and caught the bus (As a family) down to Gibraltar Point intending to do a bit of birding and naturing (Me and Dad were keen birders my sister and Mum were i

It was to the South of Winscale (Seascale as she is now known) All I can really remember was that it was a pig of a place to get to ,a pig of a job to find when you got near there (No sign posts sayin

We would camp in the corner of a field which contained a derelict cottage right near the sand dunes. We did not encroach on the dunes as it was prohibited. Nearby was a sign which read 'No Camping on

Posted Images

I remember at Ingoldmells there was an "Amfibious Duck" they took folks out on, Dad would never let me go on that, Mam once told me it reminded him too much of the "beach heads" during the war. Nobody deserved those holidays more than them.

I remember them, the beach was full of them in those days. Do they still operate?

Ex-WW2 landing craft.

dukw.jpg

Yeah! thats the one. We used to have the same van for years running "Jenny Dean" on Malkinsons field, They used to sing "Nelly Dean" on the way back from "The Ship Inn". In the early years we used to get there on the back of a lorry with a canvas top (two families) later of course it was "skills"

I used to go there on my Lambretta Li150 Series III; great fun and great music.

Skegness, 1952! Yes, that is me!

post-477-0-39990900-1326983593_thumb.jpg

I was always keener on Mabelthorpe than Skegness really, if only for the sands which are much nicer in my humble opinion at the more northerly resort.

The only place I really visit over there these days is Sutton-on-Sea, and has been for many years. It still strikes me as a nice little family resort whereas I think the larger towns have been spoilt somewhat. When at Sutton, I often take the two-mile walk up the beach or prom to Mablethorpe which is very pleasant. I am always disappointed with the latter though as it just seems to get scruffier and scruffier. There used to be some decent pubs there but that's gone downhill to I reckon.

Sutton has great beaches (as does Mabo) it also has the simple pleasures of a couple of good fish and chip shops and the Beach Bar where one can enjoy a pint whilst looking over the waves of the North sea. There's a well-used paddling pool for the kids. It's a nice walk/cycle down to the pleasant Sandilands too if you feel like being a little more active. I still think it's the best bet for a quick run over from Nottingham to see the sea.

On the Beach

Haven't seen the sea for 24 years...is it still there? My last holiday was in '86 and that was Eskdale. Beaches near Winscale were good...no humans at all...I think they were frightened of turning purple with radiation.Mile after mile of beach without a sign of life.Just the boom of a big naval gun firing at a target out to sea every hour or so.A bit like Skeggy in November,but without the litter. eccd13f1.jpg

Haven't seen the sea for 24 years...is it still there? My last holiday was in '86 and that was Eskdale. Beaches near Winscale were good...no humans at all...I think they were frightened of turning purple with radiation.\snip\.

I was on a beach near Windscale/Sellafield, just above the tide line with SWMBO in 1989 when along came a "Friends of the Earth" type with clipboard and started asking questions such as "Do you realise there is a serious threat to your health on this beach from the nuclear plant?" and "Do you think it would be better to go somewhere else?" Eventually, I became fed up with the scaremonger and told her that I had every confidence in the nuclear industry despite the rumours put out by her kind - she left us alone :o)))) I was and still am keen on conservation but I wasn't going to be bullied into agreeing with activists of her kind.

and i see erics turned his head round since then ...now the hairs on the bottom...LOL

"Do you realise there is a serious threat to your health on this beach from the nuclear plant ? ....dint stop HIM being there tho

Anyone remember the Crazy Golf on the green at Chapel St Leonards and in front of the majestic 'Vine Hotel'?

Memories of my mum and grandma - 1950's - sitting in the porch of the 'Vine', both looking glamorous, each with a glass of Pimms. Regarding Pimms, at my young age I was fascinated as to how adults could enjoy a drink with what looked like foreign objects floating around in it! Anybody know what they were?

Remember the Crazy Golf at Sutton-on-Sea? Back in the 50's it was the only good thing the place had to offer, it was such a sleepy, little town back then. Now as a senior citizen I can appreciate this, plus the top class beach.

Back to Stu who mentions Mablethorpe getting scruffier and scruffier. Mablethorpe still has some lovely parts, especially the beach past the main High Street.

High Street spoils Mablethorpe; the word 'scruffy'does it justice!

Mablethorpe still has some lovely parts, especially the beach past the main High Street.

High Street spoils Mablethorpe; the word 'scruffy'does it justice!

Do agree re the beach, it's fantastic. I sometimes think the Lincolnshire beaches in general are very underrated. It's a great shame about the High Street, everything is so tacky. It could be so much better.

Here's one for the Mablethorpe fans: Back in about 1995 I visited Mablethorpe on my way to Norfolk from the far north of Scotland. It happened to be Autumn and the Sea Buckthorn in the dunes just to the north of the town were in fruit. I gathered a handful of berries and grew the seed. I now have mature Sea Buckthorn in my garden producing berries of their own, just 17 miles south of John O'Groats :o)

No idea to be honest but the birds eat them throughout the winter months. Perhaps I should point out that the garden covers two acres so there's room for bird food bushes as well as our regular fruits.

. Beaches near Winscale were good...no humans at all...I think they were frightened of turning purple with radiation.Mile after mile of beach without a sign of life.Just the boom of a big naval gun firing at a target out to sea every hour or so.

That gun was fired at a place called Bootle believe it or not (Obviously not the same one in Liverpool) I used to take the gun barrels from the ROF to there wait whilst they were unloaded fitted to the firing platform, if they were accurate they would hit the target out at sea, if they missed they were put back on the waggon and I'd drag 'em back to Nott'm to be remilled.

I used to have to sit in a little hut (Freezing my nuts off , even in summer,) for about 6 hours whilst they did the test firing , they wouldn't let us watch, they didn't even provide any tea making facilities ! The next time I went prepared , big flask of coffee and a flask of Tomato Soup.

I think everyone had their picture taken walking along the seafront at Skeggy. What stands out on these photos now, is that all the dads still had on a shirt, tie, pullover, even a suit and polished shoes. How times have changed.

• Upvote 1