HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL Richard Boone

THE VIRGINIAN James Drury

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trivia time, we all know that a maverick is an unbranded cow or bull in Texas. They were named after the cattle of the Maverick family whose cattle were allowed to roam free (as were many others) duri

I know that feeling well. Debbie Harry is 67 in a few weeks time !! She helped many a youth of my age group through puberty ......

Roy Rogers. Michael Booth...Cisco Kid was the first show I saw on that danged, ornery newfangled TV.

Can anyone remember a western from the late fifties starring an actor called Tony ? - can't remember his surname. He was tall, thin, dark and handsome.

I'm sure the western was called: 'Lawman'.

Was wondering what ever became of him.

talking of Westerns, their popularity was such that a few locals took on the persona of their favourite hombres. I can recall standing at the bar in the Cocked Hat when in through the swing door came a dude with the full cowboy outfit, six guns and all, another time a full headressed Cherokee indian!

He still hangs around in town if I know who you mean.

'In my humble opinion, The Bell Inn remains a fine example of a ‘proper’ pub. I just wish they issued season tickets for the place. One of the things I enjoy about The Bell is the diversity of the people that enter along the crooked stone flags into the various bars. Tonight was to offer a prime example of that fact. ‘The Bell Cowboy’ is a chap that dresses in full western regalia. He’s a particular favourite of mine, and I mean that most sincerely. I enjoy the fact that people can still be different, do whatever they choose to do and dress how they want to within the bounds of decency and not upsetting others. As a psychologist I’m always interested in observing others’ reactions to the sort of people who are often called ‘oddballs’ or worse. I often think that sometimes unkind reactions tend to speak much more about those that offer them themselves but that’s maybe another story.

The first time I spoke to the Bell Cowboy he wasn’t a cowboy at all. There was nothing remotely cowboy-ish about him in fact. He was wearing a smart suit and was in one of the little bars at the front of the Bell. His suit hid one big difference though – a belt buckle measuring some six inches across and displaying pre-coded scrolling text! Genius. I asked him if he might consider renting the space out on there for advertising purposes and he did seem interested in this notion. Tonight however he was ‘The Man With No Name’. Proudly sporting his spaghetti western poncho and Viva Zapata moustache his swagger and swirl around the back bar was mightily impressive. It was difficult indeed to take one’s eyes away from him long enough to talk the usual nonsense over a pint or two. My friend had an urge to record the scene on her mobile for the folks back home, ‘they would never believe this’, she said. Indeed.

The Bell Cowboy posed and strutted. He was clearly very enamoured with my friend too – telling me that I should ‘hang on to her’ – ‘even if she is a bit shy!’ He came to chat to us but extremely graciously took the hint along with a warm handshake that we were enjoying a private conversation. I like that man and I respect him, very eccentric though he may be. Viva la difference.'

One not mentioned was "The life and legend of Wyatt Earp" starring "Hugh O'brian", never quite the same for me after he came over and appeared on one or two variety shows with his "Buntline special", then Mike and Bernie Winters made a comedy song about him called "Mad Passionate Love".