You know your from nottingham when....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"AY - UPP MI DUCK" I met a chap in Nottingham who had come to see the sights; he'd travelled from Blackpool, where he'd visited the lights. "He said " I've been to Nottingham castle though i

Peculiar to Nottingham? Maybe so. My folk's house had 'the twitchell' next to it which was a short walkway from Redhill through to a housing estate leading to Arnold. It was only characterised by the

Stu..................dunt yuh mean sat'deh!! & it's difficult for a nottingham lad to say 'you couldn't' , in the nott'm dialect, some people are easily offended!! Try it in yuh best notts natter

even a bus to beston via whitehart at the side of the square and arnold buse on ther side of the rd. but no rockers or mods too early in the day we woulld be at work at that timeof the day

and theres another thread for you when you remember when there was plenty of jobs to be had if you did not like the one you were in you could leave and have a new job to start the next day or the next monday.

You know your from Nottingham when....

.... you can remember standing in the early evening bus queue on Long Row for the 10 or 57 bus up Mansfield Road - and heard the merging voices of two regulars:

• the earnest lay preacher standing on the walls of Slab Square spreading the word to whoever would listen
  • the extra loud tenor voice of the newspaper seller who abbreviated Evening Post to 'Po'

Caught that 57 bus to Redhill many a time as a kid, Tim. Used to terminate near Redhill School then where there was a large clock for the drivers situated in front of a tall hedge.

The other option was a Trent bus number 62/3 from Huntingdon Street bus station if mum had been doing her shopping in the Central Market maybe.

SO HAVE MOST PEOPLE KATH BUT DESPITE THE ICONIC PIC OF THE MODS OUTSIDE THE COUNCIL HOUSE THIS WAS IN FACT THE ROCKERS END OF THE SQUARE THE MODS WERE WERE THEY BELONGED AT THE TOILET END WITH THE HIPPIES, HEY HIPPO GIRL. EVEN TUG WILSON WOULD MOVE THEM TO THE OTHER END IF THEY GOT THERE BEFORE WE ALL ARIVED FROM THE HART IT WASENT GO DOWN THE OTHER END LADS THEY WERE HERE FIRST IT WAS DOWN TO YOUR END LADS.TO THE MODS

Apparently that was their regular meet? That picture is pretty much everywhere now, Strange when you know most of the guys in that pictures names & About them. Good to hear that it was the 'rockers' side of the square - Nothing changes, when i was younger, All of the goths and rockers used to all hang out up there.. Me being one of them & all the 'skaters' & hippysh kids used to hang round at the other end.. I dont see many people hanging about there like there used to be, So i was pretty glad to be part of that dying 'Culture' .. So yeah, you know your from nottingham if you remember when the goth kids took over the market square haha!

It used to terminate outside the Post office/General store owned by the Alton family.

What about "sally" the newspaper seller with the posh voice. That was in the Eighties.

Same place yes. I remember the Alton family. It's now just a general store.

Sally has been spoken of on here before in more than one thread. Here she is:

sally.jpg

http://tonyshaw3.blogspot.com/2011/02/sally-nottingham-newspaper-seller-and.html

You are right Babs, mods and hippies down the griffins end of the square by the loos...What an eclectic mix of people !!!!! They would arrive via thumb, from Sheffield, Manchester and Beeston !!!!!! Always had a story to tell and never any trouble.....Such (Clive) was a regular slab square hippy....

'You know you're from Nottingham when . . .

. . . . you get chatting to the person seated next to you in the cinema. I took a trip to the 'Broadway' this afternoon - pensioner's cup of tea, biscuits and film 'special'.

This lovely, friendly lady came and sat by my side; almost immediately we got on like a house on fire. In fact after the film we stayed to chat but were thrown out because the staff wanted to empty the place! Just shows it's not only kids that cause trouble, also that Nottingham people are keeping up their reputation for being friendly.

• Upvote 1

I got chatting to a lovely lady in Tesco today she was 86yrs young , told me she went dancing 4 times a week does all her own shopping and housework i think we covered all the range of butter and spreads and which ones were best for you, yep we are a friendly lot

I can agree with the friendly lot comments! Whenever im out with baby, i can garentee most shops we go in either a member of staff just stops to tell me how beautiful she is.. Wich is very flattering, very proud to of bought such a beautiful baby into the world & even prouder i get told the same by strangers, Or people stop and make the effort to talk to her when im doing the shopping or at the check out.

Although i felt bad the other day, i know i shouldnt... I was walking down the street the other day on my daily stroll to the retail park i live near to. A woman was walking towards us with bags of shopping so i stopped & pulled the pushchair as close to the inside of the pavement as i could to let this woman by.. I wasnt expecting her to stop and say 'Thankyou ever so much, you know alot of young mothers such as yourself pushing a wee one never stop to let people like me by, I greatly appreciate you stopping & thinking of others.. I hope you both have a lovely day my dear' i remember the words exactly because i have never had someone say something so nice but also shocked at how she said not many young mums stop for people.

Pixie,

You're obviously a kind, courteous, & well brung up! young lady................................... as you've now found out, kindness & courtesy have their own rewards, that nice warm feeling you get from a strangers comments & smiles, ....................... cool2

even a bus to beston via whitehart at the side of the square and arnold buse on ther side of the rd.\snip\

And Sneinton buses to the right of the Council House.

When you know what is meant by:

Flying Horse Goose Fair bar.

The Trip.

The string quartet upstairs in Yates's Wine Lodge.

Big Chef

The Empire Theatre.

Moulin Rouge

Skeggy

Mabo

What the heck was the name of that cafe opposite Foreman's press on the street that led into trinity Sq. that sold 3d blockbusters?!

• 2 weeks later...

...when you know where the Pally is.

...when you know why Forest Road is notorious.

...when you agree to meet at the left lion or the Viccy Centre clock.

...when you know where the caves are.

...when you know where the big Coop was and remember the lift attendants there.

...when you know that the castle is really just a big 'ouse.

...when you know that the council 'ouse is not the residence of a council tennant.

...when you know that if someone says they are in queens or in the city they mean a hospital.

...when you know that someone who lives in the park is not destitute (quite the opposite).

...when you know that Robin Hood airport is nowhere near and nothing to do with Nottingham.

...when you know that Little John is the bell that strikes the hour on the council 'ouse.

Ay up Mr Engineer - I reckon I must be from Nottingham; I can answer YES to all those statements.