Nottinghams hidden 'alleys'

Room to let on Sun Street...

Unbelievable that people had rooms above the ash pit toilets.Cleared out every year or so and these shown shared by over 200 people...

f7fb8cd7.jpg

And kids nowadays think they're hard done to if made to tidy their room...

26d9d01a.jpg

For those that looked at the earlier maps and were thinking back to what it must have looked like, here is Market street...

6944ab05.jpg

But just 15 years earlier and before the slums had been cleared Market Street was very different and extremely narrow...

d60ad778.jpg

7257d05b.jpg

The start of the demolition of the Rookery...

341d6209.jpg

• Upvote 2

Think we all have to keep our heads when we talk about "Olde Worldy". I remember doing a short search for Piggy & Babs with regard to Henry Clements and on finding him in the boarding house on Red Lion St was supprised to find two of my own extended family living there, the whole family had split up for what ever reason and were living in houses all over Narrow Marsh,They were back together as a family unit by 1911 and living near Mill Stone Lane. Talk about Hard Times!.

• Upvote 1

It surprised me when researching my own family just how often they were either boarders or in turn had boarders themselves.Not just the odd single bloke but whole families sharing a run of the mill terraced house.

This of course was long before the growth of housing in the twentieth century.Nottingham folks just had to share what was available.

It must have been a boom time for landlords in those days,and I hate to think of the conditions and evictions that people had to put up with in the early days.

My family like many others were in the hosiery and lace trade...not well off people by any means and yet they occasionally had servants themselves.And on the census returns these servants were listed more often than not as coming from the other end of the country...

In those days I guess it was travel for work or finish up in the workhouse.For the lower classes life was damned hard,and children had to work from an early age to help keep the family.

All these Upstairs Downstairs programmes make good TV but the difference in life between the middle and upper classes and those on the bottom rung of the ladder was positively obscene.

The photo below the old Theatre Royal history shows the ‘Little Theatre' showing ‘The Merchant of Venice' c.1945. The admission was 2/6d.

Going by this and the dress of the customer's, greased hair and the bobby sox wearing young ladies, I would have put it at least the early '50s. What do you think, maybe I'm out with my burgeoning teenage history?

Amazing to think thats what the city centre used to look like! Would of loved to seen it then

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Katyjay and jackson. Isn't it amazing how things like 'nobby blue' come into your thoughts after not being there for so long. When people view these old photos of past times they arouse different feelings and emotions within themselves. My view is that yes, they were terrible times but the thing is, nobody knew any other life. The kids were born into poverty, grew up and died in poverty. Compare that to kids today and you see how unjust life is.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats discusting! Surely the peoples who back onto that tesco can sue them!? & when i walked past the record shop, the place was shut up & empty. Unless he was having a major sort out/tidy.. who knows. Glad to hear its open still though, iv never been in myself, but i love walking past on my trips to town.

Dustbinmen will only empty one bin with no 'extras'....result...bags full of crap thrown up alleyways.

Now who would have thought that?....Only councils and the idiots they employ couldn't see that coming.

Dustbinmen will only empty one bin with no 'extras'....result...bags full of crap thrown up alleyways.

Now who would have thought that?....Only councils and the idiots they employ couldn't see that coming.

I live in the Rushcliffe area,and they usually leave a trail of debris down the road in their rush to finish by noon.

Once i was a few seconds late taking out my blue bin which was full of recycleables,and they refused to empty it because by then the wagon had reversed past my house.

Realising they had no interest in recycling,i decided i hadnt either and returned the full bin to the council depot in West Bridgford.

Same here with the food waste bin i used to put mine out every week but for 2 weeks running they didnt empty it, when i called their depo they said they would send someone out but they never turned up

• 3 years later...