• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread made quite a few mentions of the Empire Cafe, but so far there hadn't been any photos of it. Now I've found this - where it appears to be having a repaint

It shall always remain the "Empire" café to me.

Humber Snipe circa mid 40s onwards????

Throwing away water veg has been cooked in!

I use mine to make the gravy.

Except potato water, that has starch in it

Use it to stiffen your shirt collar then ;)

I forgot to add that I use the veggie water to make the gravy too Mick; must confess I use the potato water too, perhaps I shouldn't?

I forgot to add that I use the veggie water to make the gravy too Mick; must confess I use the potato water too, perhaps I shouldn't?

I use the veggy water, especially the 'tattie-watter' for both gravies and soups. I was making a rude jest about the gaseous qualities in the previous post.

slywink

As kids we use to drink the strained cabbage water with pepper in it.I think memory tells me,it was to 'keep you regular' or 'clean out the system'.

Like a shot of 'Reddex' I suppose. :Shock:

• 4 weeks later...

Cod liver oil, rose hip syrup and a dollop of malt a day. Yummy. There is nothing to compare today, to the welfare orange juice from the clinic. You had to dilute it, but it had a taste all of it's own. Does anyone remember the fact that we only got Lucozade if we were really poorly, it was an expensive luxury item and you had to be really ill to get it.

I was ill a couple of weeks ago and I mentioned to my son that I fancied Lucozade and the fact that we got it when we had measles as kids as it was seen as a luxury and I remembered it had orange cellophane around the glass bottle that me and my brother used to hold up to the light, we thought it was magical hahaha.

As kids we use to drink the strained cabbage water with pepper in it.I think memory tells me,it was to 'keep you regular' or 'clean out the system'.

Like a shot of 'Reddex' I suppose. :Shock:

My mum still drinks it!

Regarding holding the orange cellophane up to your eyes to look through. We did the same thing with chocolate wrappers, was it Quality Street that had the pink, purple etc cellophane around some of their chocs? Also used to wrap the silver paper around chocs, around one finger to form a goblet shape.

You don't see much of cellophane these days do you? In fact, if they stop using it, then the word is in danger of becoming obsolete. :unsure:

Re: the colourful 'Quality Street' wrappers, I used to pleat these to make tiny fans for my dolls.

'Quality Street', my mum's favourite; she always sat down with a quarter on a Saturday evening. :)

Regarding holding the orange cellophane up to your eyes to look through. We did the same thing with chocolate wrappers, was it Quality Street that had the pink, purple etc cellophane around some of their chocs? Also used to wrap the silver paper around chocs, around one finger to form a goblet shape.

Then put a lump of wet (snotty works) tissue in the goblet, chuck it hard up to the celing, would stick there for ages..........................if no snotty nosed kids available, ordinary spit would suffice!!

:laugh:

I was thrown out of a café for doing just that, using silver paper from a fag packet, (1967). I was upset because I had put "Waterloo Sunset" on the jukebox and was being thrown out before hearing it!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This thread made quite a few mentions of the Empire Cafe, but so far there hadn't been any photos of it. Now I've found this - where it appears to be having a repaint

empire.jpg

I'm quoting my own post here from 18 months ago, but here's a photo of the Empire Cafe quite a few years before the original picture.

empire-2.jpg

• Upvote 1