50s & 60s TV Shows

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One for Compo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG_5rpX4LTY

'Till Death' showed bigotry for what it was to anyone with half a brain...the trouble is most of the 'anti racist' brigade are too thick to see it...hence the blackboard and black sheep stupidity. Th

Yes, they were a bit scary, Compo but the stories were always great. Just the thing to watch before going to bed...lol

Re the Appleyards,that was on a couple of years before the Grove family and information is limited as none were recorded.But if my memory serves me right the boy in the series was played by this guy out of Heartbeat (desk sergeant)

d5b102fe.jpg

The young lad in the Grove Family below has also had various parts over the years...In a comedy about a female funeral director (Thora Hird) 'In Loving Memory' I think.He was also in Upstairs Downstairs.

I don't have their names offhand but they've certainly been around since the early days.

84c8f0b5.jpg

I remember Peggy Mount most of all. What was the series with a family running a chip shop....was that the later series of the Larkins perhaps?

• 5 weeks later...

my early favourite was Rin Tin TIN a very early prog on ATV - circa 1956.

we all rushed up top of the road in sneinton - the only tele with ATV

Take Your Pick, with Michael Miles, was a popular programme in it's day and it was still funny when Des O'Connor did it through the 90's. Humour comes in many forms and so it should because people laugh at different things. Personally, I can't stand the modern comedian's who have to shout and yell every word at you. I could, on the other hand, listen to 'The Comedian's' show all day long. Can you imagine the late Bernard Manning being on TV today?.

1. The Strange World of Gurney Slade. Starring Anthony Newley 1960 (Or have I mentioned that one before? Day-Jar-Vooh).

2. Curry and Chips Written by and starring Spike Milligan and Eric Sykes. (1969) A comedy series set in a small novelty goods factory with Eric Sykes as the foreman "Arthur Blenkinsop" and Spike Milligan as "Paki-Paddy, Kevin O'Grady", of mixed race Irish and Pakistani.

Near forty years I waited for it to come out on DVD and I have it too - one of my all time favourite sit-coms. Takes a side-swipe at bigotry in a very funny way. It is (IMO) a great shame the namby-pamby, do-gooders managed to prevent the second series from being made. The anti-racist brigade completely missed the point.

Worrabhat "till Death Us Do Part" Never get away with it these days, BUT, they only got away with it all those years back because the writer and star were Jews...... A lot of the skits were about Jews, quite a few about wogs too.

Two spin off's, the American Archie Bunker and the Australian Kingswood Country, now that one had just started when I first lived over there, and it was Greaaaatttte. There's a few Kingswood Country shows on Youtube, Dad is Ted, his Daughters married to an Italian's Son, and Ted calls him a Wog, Father in Law drives a Fiat, and Ted has a Holden Kingswood... Classic lines from Ted.

"No you can't borrow the Kingswood, just Gladwrapped the bumpers"

Worrabhat "till Death Us Do Part" Never get away with it these days, BUT, they only got away with it all those years back because the writer and star were Jews...... A lot of the skits were about Jews, quite a few about wogs too.

'Till Death' showed bigotry for what it was to anyone with half a brain...the trouble is most of the 'anti racist' brigade are too thick to see it...hence the blackboard and black sheep stupidity.

The later series showed 'Alf' up perfectly with the effeminate black carer who called him 'Bwana' Every line with a derogatory comment about blacks backfired on Alf...which was the writers intention.

• Upvote 1

'Til Death was called "All in the Family" over here and was no where near as acidic as the original.