50s & 60s TV Shows

I was looking at part of an episode of Dixon of Dock Green on Youtube earlier........

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One for Compo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG_5rpX4LTY

'Till Death' showed bigotry for what it was to anyone with half a brain...the trouble is most of the 'anti racist' brigade are too thick to see it...hence the blackboard and black sheep stupidity. Th

Yes, they were a bit scary, Compo but the stories were always great. Just the thing to watch before going to bed...lol

The Q series "David Attenborough on Expenses" sketch" was brilliance itself.

I suppose your knowledge of this topic depends on when you first had a television in your house

Talking about 50s and 60s TV shows is a bit more difficult for me than other people, because we didn't have a telly until around the mid-60s. My mum and dad always said "it's a load of rubbish, no point in having one, waste of time, nothing worth watching, etc etc"

And that was in the days when there were only two channels to chose from.

At times I felt like some kind of social freak because I was about the only kid I knew who came from a telly-free house. Try telling friends at school "we haven't got a television" and sometimes they just couldn't grasp the concept. "What do you mean, you haven't got a telly? "

So my TV memories from those days are from friends houses, or my grandmas. It wasn't instantly available in our living room; I had to make some kind of special journey to see it, so I was probably a more eager viewer determined to make the most of it. Which is why I can remember almost every detail of every minute of everything I watched at other peoples houses, until we had a telly ourselves.

And then I started complaining about it, just like everyone else

• 1 month later...

Re the Appleyards,that was on a couple of years before the Grove family and information is limited as none were recorded.But if my memory serves me right the boy in the series was played by this guy out of Heartbeat (desk sergeant)

d5b102fe.jpg

The young lad in the Grove Family below has also had various parts over the years...In a comedy about a female funeral director (Thora Hird) 'In Loving Memory' I think.He was also in Upstairs Downstairs.

I don't have their names offhand but they've certainly been around since the early days.

84c8f0b5.jpg

The young lad is Christopher Beeny who starred with Thora Hird "In Loving Memory" and also played Edward in "Upstairs Downstairs"

My parents didn't get BBC 2 until 1976. Does anyone remember Jimmy Clitheroe in "Just Jimmy" ? Used to love watching that.

I recall Jimmy Clitheroe having a regular TV slot, Saturday tea-time, 60's. Real cosy it was - loved it, with: Alfie Hall and Mollie Sugden.

I recall when Jimmy appeared on the London Palladium (60's) and stopped the show! :biggrin:

William Simons was teh Desk Sergeant in Heartbeat but he is not in the credits for the Appleyards:

http://www.turnipnet.../appleyards.htm

Christopher Beeny was in the Grove Family. See link within above link.

• 1 year later...

:

Bernard 'I only arsked' Bresslaw - he was what was called: 'gormless' (not heard that word for a time, perhaps there's no such thing as 'gormless' people in the world today - due to political correctness!)

Mam always called me gormless when I'd done sumat wrong & got found out. "That's right, just stand there & look gormless"....SWMBO says I look gormless when I can't think of an answer..

I suppose if your 'gormless' then someone must have had some 'gorm' for you to have less of it..

Mam also used gormpot, as in "Oh him, he's a right gormpot". Mind you she was from Sheffield so it could have been a Yorkshire saying..

Mam also used gormpot, as in "Oh him, he's a right gormpot". Mind you she was from Sheffield so it could have been a Yorkshire saying..

Sticking "pot" on the end of words seems to be quite common. I've also come across "barmpot" as a variation of barmy.

Sorry to get pedantic. Gorm / Gaum, according to my dictionary has two meanings. Briefly, 1. To handle clumsily ; 2. (More appropriately for us) to heed etc. Hence gormless, or gaumless, means the opposite of 2. Bet you're glad I'm here!!!!

"Can you remember these?" These are programmes that i used to really look forward to, had a teenage crush on Herbert Lom and David Jansenn, COR.

The Human Jungle with Dr Roger Corder......Herbert Lom

The Invisible Man with Peter Brady.....Johnny Scripps

The Fugative with Dr Richard Kimble.......David Janssen

Quatermass and the pit (" I never knew what it was about, scared me though")