Hi All.

Can any of you locals shed some light as to where this photograph was taken. I was lead to believe it was a West Bridgford bus but there is no indication as to its exact location.

I must admit that studying Google street views bought me to almost believe I had pin pointed it to the Old Market Square in Nottingham, but further scrutiny rules that out.

I am aware that Mac Fisheries / Mac Markets had the shop on South Parade, which is now the RBS. This is not the branch shown in the photo.

Hopefully with those bus street names and with linking this late 50s photo to someones local knowledge, I will get this branch of Mac Fisheries identified and added to my Nostalgic web-site at www.macfisheries.co.uk

Heres hoping, Colin

sam0644.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go under the bridge shown on the original photo, then take the first turn right, and you came to the entrance of Arkwright Street station on the Great Central line. The entrance was nothing more than

You should have took that dodgy kipper back years ago...it's no good expecting a 1'6d refund now...

You could put it that way. But it's a bit like saying Harrods is a shop. The thing about Selectadisc is that they had everything obscure and unknown and weird (and that was the customers as well....)

Am pretty sure that is at start of carrington street, at what was called the walter fountain if you go on google map carrington street ran from Nottingham Train Station (Midland) back towards market square, it now ends at broad marsh centre but site of photo was roughly where 02 store is, perhaps a bit south of that

I'd also agree with taxiray and Ashley. It's the roundabout where Carrington Street met Greyfriar Gate and Lister Gate.

Carrington St is the one going away in the distance and Greyfriar Gate is the one in the bottom right corner

It's almost impossible to see the modern equivalent today; the photographer would be standing just outside the main entrance to Broad Marsh Centre

Here's another photo from almost the same angle showing a bit more of the scenery behind. As a reference point, the building on the extreme right with the small pointed-arch roof is now Big City Tyres

trollery.jpg

Last time I visited that area the Chinese shop was thriving. Next door but one or maybe two, there was a sex shop (c1983) and wasn't there a labour exchange in the same section of street about 1973?

Hi Clif ton, is the building to the right of the bus Still there today, next to ocean ( the old Sherwood rooms )......think it may be a Chinese supermarket ?

While I was away....others have proved.......yes it is/was !

Well thank you all for this info, so what you are all saying is this branch of Mac Fisheries was in CARRINGTON STREET and that these buildings still exist today.

Any idea of the street number for Macs??

I aggree with some of you that these busy old photos of your local area really have a feel to them. I have a couple more 50s Bus photos which I think are from your area, just for your own interest I will scan them and add them here later. Some lovely old buildings in the background.

Chinese supermarket (Ex Hanson's) is(was) further uip Carrington Street where Colin street now is.(The section from Greyfrier Gate to Canal Street built at the same time as the Broad Marsh Centre)

The photo is nearer Broard Marsh (Lucky Corner) where Dunn's was.(Now a Bank)

The railings on the right were round a car park but before that Colin's Alms Houses stood.

Well thank you all for this info, so what you are all saying is this branch of Mac Fisheries was in CARRINGTON STREET and that these buildings still exist today.

Any idea of the street number for Macs??

You should have took that dodgy kipper back years ago...it's no good expecting a 1'6d refund now...

09dc310a.gif

• Upvote 1

Hi Colin, welcome to the nut house, sorry, I mean forum. Where in Surrey do you live, I lived there for 9 yrs before emigrating. I see your email address is Macfisheries, I assume you work for them?

That MacFisheries was indeed on Carrington Street, but all those buildings in your original photo don't exist now. The other photos which people have posted show a stretch of Carrington Street which has remained. The Streetview shots are the other side of the road to MacFisheries.

If you have a thing about MacFisheries :) here's an alternative picture of the plaice

mac2.jpg

And this, where you can't quite see the name on the building

mac1.jpg

Hi Katy (?) First of all can I just say forget my last post, having just Google street mapped the area using Hanson and the Tyre centre as a referance, I see that the position of the shops in my photo is now occupied by the Broad Marsh shopping centre.

I grew up in Reigate, but now live in a small village called Newdigate, just south of Dorking.

The Mac Fisheries connection is so random to my life. Macs ceased trading in 1980 (sold to the International Stores Group) My sole interest is/was my Morris Z van but if you have a quick look at my web-site www.macfisheries.co.uk you will see that over the past 3 years i've sort of diversified to any thing Mac Fisheries.

I have so much more info to add to my site but time always beats me.

Just had a look around this Nottingham web-site.....simply amazing what size and what content its covers. All cities or counties should have a site like this.

Where in Surrey did you live?

Colin, I lived in West Byfleet. Used to take the kids to Box Hill when they were little, also Shere, Abinger Hammer and Polesdon Lacey. It's so pretty around there.

ColFrench

I "borrowed" that from this site http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/index.php which is where a lot of material that appears on Nottstalgia comes from.

If you navigate your way through their menus and search boxes, that particular one came up when I searched "Lister". It's not one of their better quality images, but you can buy hi-res stuff off them, or just browse the lot