Nobody has to convince me that animals know what is going to happen to them.

Had a German Shepherd from a pup and after 12 years he got cancer and could barely move in the end. Vet came to the house to put him down as a special favour to us. He gave us sleeping tablets for the dog as the wife did not want the dog awake when the vet came to give him the injection. The dog refused all attempts to give him the tablets and we agreed that we would not force them down his throat. So, we spent the time before the appointed visit sitting with him on the lounge room floor. The vet arrived and was let in and the dog started to cry like a little child and the look in his eyes was something we will never forget. As the vet got the anaesthetic needle ready, the dog was crying just like a child; it was unbelievable and the wife had to leave the room and she was crying just as bad.

I had to hold that dog while the vet found the vein and gave him the anaesthetic. Our dog's screams were unbelievable and his actions in licking me was as though he was trying to please us like he used to when we played. His struggles finally ceased when the anaesthetic took effect and then the green injection was given and it was all over. That dog knew what was to happen to him. The vet had been to our house before to see him and even when taken to the surgery, the dog was never a problem. Both the vet and I had tears at the end. That dog is buried at the bottom of the garden.

More recent, we had to put another German Shepherd to sleep after a full and long life. Again the cancer had struck and we had been selfish and kept him on medication; not wanting to lose him. One morning we awoke to find him unable to move; laid out on the family room floor between his bed and his water dish. His quality of life had finally gone and we arranged that morning with the same vet to bring him in for the big needle. Over the preceeding weeks, we had watched the dog get worse and his actions and unusually touchy-feely behaviour were such that it was as if he knew he would not be with us much longer.

Carried that dog to the car and drove to the vets. Unbelievable but he got out of the car under his own steam, albeit slowly and walked unsteadily into the vets surgery after stopping for a p1$$ where he had stopped every time before but without cocking a leg this time. Again I held the dog for the vet, having refused his offer for his assistant to do it. I had lifted him up onto the bench and it was peaceful and calm. That dog knew but accepted what was to happen, not like the other one. Before the anaesthetic, the dog and my wife had a cuddle and then he just watched us and the vet. No fuss when the vet gave him the anaesthetic as I held him and, as he was nodding off, he moved his head and took my arm in his jaws; no pressure but something we had done countless times before when playing. Then the green injection and that was it. A tearful drive home and an empty house on our return.

We had that dog cremated and scattered his ashes on a bush track near home that we walked along every weekend and where he ran free.

Got another German Shepherd now and often tell him what his fate is if he doesn't start behaving himself.

So let nobody tell you that animals do not know what is going to happen to them, particularly dogs!

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nobody has to convince me that animals know what is going to happen to them. Had a German Shepherd from a pup and after 12 years he got cancer and could barely move in the end. Vet came to the hous

#12 I seem to remember this coming up last year on here on another thread! The horses wouldn't do it if they didn't enjoy it. Just watch the riderless ones continue round the course. They love runnin

You don't have to study Statistics at college to realise that your chances of winning big are very slim but you have to be in it to win it and so long as gambling doesn't take over your life and you c

Having worked in an animal post mortem room in a veterinary disease surveillance centre, in close conjunction with several vet practices, for the past 11 years I have picked up an understanding of animals and their owners. For what it's worth, I have the opinion that animals, just like humans, know when their time has come. Occasionally, owners would want to bring their deceased pets to the centre for individual "Special" cremation themselves instead of leaving them at the vet practice. It was always sad to see their final farewells so I used to allow them as long as they wanted to say goodbye in private - for which I was often in trouble with my money/profit centric boss. Having the advantage of human cremation training and experience I was able to assure the owners that their loved ones were safe in my hands - some of the vets event sent bereaved owners to me with their animals rather than have to cope with the stressful situation of dealing with them in person. In some ways I was a counsellor - acting, unpaid.

• Upvote 1

Even down to rats... I used to own rats, when all of them had passed i decided to get one more to live on his own. His name was Stew, a pure white lab rat.. He was treated like a dog, his cage was allways open, he had the run of my bedroom (was living at parents this point) whenever he wanted, id often wake to find him curled into a ball next to me on my bed, he used to share food & snacks with me, he was constantly on my shoulder or next to me. He was trained to do some games, he was caged trained to only go to the toilet in his cage.. He loved me as much as i loved him. Went on holiday for two weeks leaving him at home, he never left his cage, he just layed in a corner apparently, he even bit my mum & hes never bitten anyone in his life.. Iv never seen an animal jump, run and be so uncrontrollable when i returned home.. three years later he got sick, i think it was down to old age but i selfishly couldnt get him put down, was too attached to him. i went out one night for a few ours, I came home to find him layed on a top i wore the day before on my floor.. I stroked him to say hello, he usually climbs on my hand, instead he grabbed my finger, dug his little claws in & died with his head on my hand.. I have never ever cried so much in my life over a death of a pet. The fact of how close even a rodent pet can get, how attached you can get to a rat , how he waited for me before passing & even made the effort to curl up on a top that had my smell on just because he missed me... Your all welcome to call me stupid, it was just a rat. Hes now buried in my parents garden under a heather plant

Hi Pixie, glad to see you posting. No, you're not 'stupid', your real life story of your pet rat is so interesting. Such an experience in life to have kept a rat for a pet. So touching how you write about his death. Keep posting, you write so descriptively . . . . :)

Really? i never really tell anyone about it because usually people think we all get mainly attached to our cats, dogs & other bigger animals. Rats are looked down onto alot. I still have a cage in the shed but im not aloud anymore because we have too much now, id love a couple more! such amazing little creatures

What a co-incidednce Pixie! I had a pet shrew called "Stu the Shrew". It was in a small water tank room at work. I used to sit and eat my sandwich in there and one day noticed a movement in a crack in the concrete floor. Over the days I laid food by the hole and eventually met the occupant. The pest controllers had a poison bait box in there so I emptied it every time they filled it because, as you may know, shrews are not like mice - they don't damage wiring etc.. Eventually the pest control man left the company and was replaced by a new operative. I showed him the bait points but NOT the little tank room. I fed that family of shrews for 18 months before leaving the company myself. One shrew became used to me and would come right out and look at me before taking his dinner down his hole for the day. The following picture shows the original 'Stu the Shrew' taking a piece of cheese. The shrew is no bigger than the tip of your thumb!

IMG_1755.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 1

My mum has a family of shrews in her garden, at least she did have, they made a nest in the corner of her garden wall, we never cut the grass in that area as we assumed they hid in it from the cats, we'd often see one dash along the patio and back a few mins later, we didnt notice them last summer though so i assume they moved on. We allways thought they were Voles, but as you have described how small a shrew is & the picture you posted, they were exactly the same as that lil guy! I managed to grab one & just held it while it ran from hand to hand & remember thinking 'What a funny nose!' before popping him/her back in with its family of babie's.

I once had one of these pointed out to me by a when friend when walking the towpath of the Grantham Canal. Apparently it's arguably the UK's smallest mammal.

cshrew.gif

The Pygmy Shrew

It was so tiny, perhaps not much more than an inch long, that for it to pass over a pebble was quite a job!

• 1 year later...

Cliff Ton. I am with you all the way. I think steeple chasing is cruel. I have no problem with flat racing. I love animals. I am not OTT but too many horses die jumping.

• Upvote 2

I like a flutter on the National and sometimes the Epsom Derby but don't bother with any other races. A few years ago, when we lived down South, a good friend of ours had a box at a lot of race courses and we were invited on several occasions. We had some great times, enjoying the hospitality but never won anything. Every year I place a bet on a couple of runners in the National, knowing full well that they won't win me any money. The first time I ever gambled was in 1968 when I placed a bet on Red Alligator and it WON. My granny was always betting on the horses, I remember on a Saturday I'd go with my Mum to visit her down the Medders and Mum's first job on arrival was to nip round to the bookies!!

• Upvote 1

The last time I won money on a horse, was 1964 in a sweep stake at work and the horse was Mighty Gurkha, it was the Lincoln Handycap. I still get excited, I can't remember how much I won, but I bet I spent It pretty Quick!!

• Upvote 1

Can fully understand why people don't bet as I suppose it is cruel, however, with the new restriction on the amount of times a horse can be 'whipped' I have betted. Does break my heart when I hear a horse has been put down though, although it may seem hypocritical of me to say. I used to bet on a fair few odd races but now only bet on the National and a few footie bets :)

I like a flutter on the National and sometimes the Epsom Derby but don't bother with any other races. A few years ago, when we lived down South, a good friend of ours had a box at a lot of race courses and we were invited on several occasions. We had some great times, enjoying the hospitality but never won anything. Every year I place a bet on a couple of runners in the National, knowing full well that they won't win me any money. The first time I ever gambled was in 1968 when I placed a bet on Red Alligator and it WON. My granny was always betting on the horses, I remember on a Saturday I'd go with my Mum to visit her down the Medders and Mum's first job on arrival was to nip round to the bookies!!

Who are you backing Lizzie?

Melissa, seeing as I don't have an on-line gambling account I won't be placing a bet this year, in fact I don't even know which horses are running. Now you've reminded me, I'd better nip out and pick up a Florida Lottery ticket. Of course I wouldn't want to win it though because I'd have to pay tax on my winnings here :-)

I have never put money on a horse or bought a national lottery ticket or done a football coupon

. Its a mugs game, I studied Statistics at college.

The Grand National is just cruel.

You don't have to study Statistics at college to realise that your chances of winning big are very slim but you have to be in it to win it and so long as gambling doesn't take over your life and you can afford to lose a bit of money then it's fun.

• Upvote 3

#12 I seem to remember this coming up last year on here on another thread!

The horses wouldn't do it if they didn't enjoy it. Just watch the riderless ones continue round the course. They love running with the herd, that's what they do, and will clear the fences with ease, no need for a rider to spur them on. Sadly there are accidents, but then again there are accidents in all walks of life. As regards cruel, these horses are probably the most pampered in the business.

• Upvote 3