St Georges day any one ?

A couple of bits on in Nott'm , the annual St Georges day parade from "The Forest" on Monday, and a bit of a do on Sunday at "The Trip to Jerusalem"

I'm going to try to get down the 'Trip' on Sunday.

http://www.stgeorges...Nottinghamshire

I was listening to my old mate Chris Ashley on TKO Gold radio (Alicante, Spain) this morning, and they're having a big beach bash on Monday !! Bloody amazing isn't it, ex pats get to celebrate "Our" day more than we do !!!

Usual stuff going on in our village combined with the new footpath/cycle path being officially opened today (Saturday), bit of a parade and morris dancers outside the pub,light refreshments and home made cake stalls at the other end of the new footpath in the next village, (they know how to live it up out here) Happy St Georges day everyone

Rog

The mention of morris dancing reminds me of a snippet in the alternative Long Eaton Grammar School magazine "LEGS" produced by the sixth form - round about 1966 : "On Tuesday there was a display of morris dancing in the hall - but owing to severe subsidence and the collapse of the balcony he had to stop."

My contribution to St George's Day:

St George's mushrooms. A wild mushroom that fruits in late April. I only get one flush and always on or about St George's Day, so it lives up to its name. Had them sliced an fried with my roast chicken dinner today. They have a nutty taste and a slippery texture.

004.JPG?gl=GB

IMG_1823.JPG?gl=GB

No, the 'magic' variety are autumnal, small and a different colour. See below:

(This from Google images)

images%2520%25281%2529.jpg?gl=GB

My mushrooms (St George's):

images%2520%25282%2529.jpg?gl=GB

happy st georges day every one from and english girl in and english town and still pround to say so

Looks like a good do on the Square today according to central news.

I had planned to take my camera into Nottingham for use after an appointment I had.

Sadly I did not make it to the Square.

Happy St Georges Day everyone.

Though I am not sure that Happy... sounds right?

Cry "God for Harry, England, and Saint Gearge "

Now sign this and see if we can't get ourselves an extra day off a year !!

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/5465

You never know !

Michael...

Happy goes with Christmas, Easter, New year & birthday

Perhaps glorious is a better word for St.Georges day celebration

mick2me, 'Glorious' is a word that you would connect St. George with. A 'Happy' day is what the people who celebrate St. George's Day will hopefully have as they all do their own thing to celebrate it. It doesn't really matter what word is used, the main thing is that it's remembered and celebrated.

In reality it wouldn't hurt to move Mayday to a week earlier !! and then it wouldn't cost any extra , I mean what exactly are we 'celebrating' on Mayday?

• 6 years later...

Love it. Young and old enjoying themselves. Stupendous !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1