I've always had a fascinating interest in the home front during WW2 (alongside my fascination of disused railways) and reading one of the other topics which mentioned a few remaing air raid shelters in Nottingham, I wondered if anyone knew of any other locations in Nottingham where you can still see intact or remains of old shelters (I'd love to see an Anderson shelter that might still remain in someone's back garden and better still be able to go inside !!). I live in Basford and not spotted anything obvious on my travels. I'm originally from Ilkeston and know of the old shelters at Stanton (although I've only ever seen them from the road at a distance (long mounds rising up with the odd ventilation pipe sticking up)). Anything like that in Nottingham ??

Timbo :-)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I know the place you mean, and it's not far so I had a poke around; its hard to say what is there. The area has been heavily 'modified' for flood prevention, so its difficult to tell what mig

Not really................she gave me the 'Brush Off'..................I couldn't begin to explain how painful that was................

Basford eh, well theres still a big former public shelter under the car dealers corner of Nottingham Rd and Lortas Rd, used to be a mushroom farm in 1950's! not sure if still there but houses on Ford Street had Anderson shelters in back gardens as did houses on Rosetta Rd between Nottingham Rd and Monsal Street

I work right near junction of Nottingham Road/Lortas Road ... Interesting ... Of course, I know all about the caves being used during WW2 and the gated entrance to a former cave/shelter in front of one of the houses opposite Rock Cemetry on Mansfield Road ( wouldn't mind a trip down those stairs)... I'm more interested in structures that were exclusively built or used as air raid shelters ... Loving this topic already !!

There's a concrete one in Dukes wood Eakring, not sure if there isn't a picture on this site somewhere, if not I'll try and upload one tonight when I get home, some of the old pre-fabs on the Beechdale estate area used to have the tin ones in the gardens later used as garden sheds, not sure if any survived

Rog

Of course, I know all about the caves being used during WW2 and the gated entrance to a former cave/shelter in front of one of the houses opposite Rock Cemetry on Mansfield Road ( wouldn't mind a trip down those stairs)... I'm more interested in structures that were exclusively built or used as air raid shelters ... Loving this topic already !!

This one has been talked about on here at some point:

1823316_deeb1bde.jpg

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1823316

This topic was mentioned a couple of years ago but due to the useless 'Search' facility, I can't find it; so here's a couple of Streetview links

These two concrete bunkers are in West Bridgford - one is easily visible, the other is buried in the undergrowth

http://maps.google.c...,320.72,,0,6.33

http://maps.google.c...2,287.9,,0,5.12

Think there are 3 in the Henry Mellish Grounds...well used for having a fag in...but last time we saw them they are all sealed up.

Have pics of 2 of them...and pics inside one of them taken through the vents in the top.

Think there are 3 in the Henry Mellish Grounds...well used for having a fag in...but last time we saw them they are all sealed up.

Have pics of 2 of them...and pics inside one of them taken through the vents in the top.

not any more...

2921ttl.jpg

xnxf1k.jpg

28s3rew.jpg

took these pics a couple of weeks ago now, just happened to be driving by and saw what was happening to my old school. we're having a class of 82 get together later this month too, i'm sure we will raise a toast to the old place

Basford eh, well theres still a big former public shelter under the car dealers corner of Nottingham Rd and Lortas Rd, used to be a mushroom farm in 1950's! not sure if still there but houses on Ford Street had Anderson shelters in back gardens as did houses on Rosetta Rd between Nottingham Rd and Monsal Street

The Air Raid Shelter is still there. The Sandicliffe - Lortas Road showroom and the secure outside car parking area is 'on the roof' of the shelter, the base of which is 2/3rds below ground level. The shelter originally had a labyrinth .interior but has now been altered for use as a car workshop.

as mentioned my first memory of such was as a mushroom farm, (owned by a "mad pole") nothing racist there, he was polish and his attitude if he caught us kids in there led us to believe he was thus! I think most schools had air raid shelters, both Claremont primary and secondary did, the latter were bike sheds in1956 on, probably before? Northgate primary also had such, and as phil box has said so did whitemoor park, Off topic slightly but according to my mother church st old basford at where "Smithy's scrap yard" was had during the war a home guard (Luck duck and vanish) "road block" consisting of 2 oil drums filled with concrete and wooden posts between them, however this was only manned in the daylight and wheeled at the way at night in case anyone ran into it, there was however nothing on the parallel western boulevard? maybe there was a sign? "panzers this way "directing them up church street"? in any case dunkirk survivors who were billeted with us at the times laughed at such, saying such wouldn't last a minute HAD the germans got to it

took this about a week ago, it shows where the air raid shelters were, there was one right at the back under the line of trees, then about three more facing towards the school buildings where the two skips are.

2n6vytz.jpg

also there was a "concrete box" style shelter on the playing field similar to the ones still standing in radford, that i think was demolished sometime in the mid 80's

timbirkin, up to a few years ago you could have combined your interests, the remains of Wrigleys Wagon Works had not only railway connections to the GNR but also air raid shelters and a concrete pill box that judging by the large opening in such instead of rifle slits etc probably held some field gun etc?

I remember the air raid shelters at "The Fountain" so they were still there into the 50s we used to walk up from the medders to play in them and then go upstairs in "Woolies" to have a wash, remember they had those glass bowls with green soap you tilted to release funny how you remember the little things..

Trent Bridge Senior School, Green Street, the Meadows, had an air raid shelter in the Playground adjacent the fence to the Rock Gardens.

It was brick built with Concrete roof. Dunno if its still there?

Used to be one opposite the Northern baths too, there was a path up the side of the railway bridge that led up to the old engine shed and it was at the start of that path.

Wilfred Marriot had an Anderson shelter in his back garden at 72 Furlong Avenue, Arnold, up until he died in the mid sixties. I doubt very much if it survived after the sale of the house though.

Just remembered another, bet it's still there! this was underground on the land that far as I know (was in the 1990's) is used as "Showmans Winter Quarters" where the goose fair people and others parked up on Western Boulevard on the right just before the bridge over railwayat Basford, think it had stairs at both ends, you could get into it but full of soil etc, recall it had quarry tile floor, quite big, in same yard were 2 or 3 surface brick ones used as store rooms by Madonna Press printers, these are still there, can be seen (with tyres on the roof) here http://maps.google.c...ingdom&t=h&z=18

zoom in! the underground one is to the left in trees between first house and entrance to the yard

I can remember the one on Abbey Circus in West Bridgford.....I can also remember one being next to our house on Abbey Road which got demolished many years ago.