Or maybe it would be because they're 'nostalgic' for the smoke? ;)

I wouldn't complain - live and let live. I personally just don't want to breathe it in any more, had years of it. I think I have that right - just as smokers have a right to smoke.

in times of yore pubs used to have a "Smoking Room" I don't see why that could not have been re-introduced. It's as if teh rules have been made by a gang of sadists.

It would be an interesting experiment now just for a few pubs to be allowed smoking inside, just to see if there was any turn up in business.

I think it's more to do with the price. People just can't afford to go out. If they put smoking back in pubs I'd be a stay away, definitely. I think it would be the last straw for a few others too.

I'm not nostalgic about some of the pubs that were so full of smoke you could hardly breathe in there. Some were a lot worse than others We were brought up with it as 'normal' - I much prefer it now. I'd be happy for smokers to have their own rooms wherever possible, I wouldn't go in there any more.

I've said it before and I say again...the breweries have brought this slump on themselves.Uncompetetive...and their answer to the smoke problem...a ten quid expelair in the wall that did sod all.

Eric the landlord of Travellers Rest on the Plains thirty years ago spent two grand on air conditioning.The pub was packed with smokers yet you didn't know it,not a wisp of smoke in the air.

The Eagle pub down the road..managed of course...it was like drinking in a Dartmoor fog.One crappy fan that didn't work.

If the breweries had stuck their hands in their pockets smoking areas would have been allowed.

Round here a pint of Tennants can be had for £1.70...a fair price.Across the road,John Smiths £2.50...they can stuff it.If one brewery can sell at a fair price why can't they all? 70p difference on a pint of bitter is ridiculous.

Before they banned it totaly there were smoking rooms at the airports I went in one just the once and never again, they were awful places. Think I prefer the outdoor rule, If you can manage 10 hours plus on a long haul flight then you can manage without a lot of the habitual ones. Most of the smokers I know will freely admit that they only rarely enjoy about 4 out of twenty.

I could never understand how men could spend eight hours underground without smoking - or seeming to need to, but as soon as they got out the cage, the first thing they did was lit up!

Because I was dying for a "cough and drag" That first fag was heaven..... Agreed, never bothered me once I was underground, but on that ride up the shaft a nicotine craving was taking over.....

and hospitals

I remember a few occasions when I was young (early 1960s) being taken to the doctor's surgery by my mum; when we walked into the doctor's room, he was sitting there at his desk smoking a cigarette.

What my ex worked a the General Hospital we had a semi-retired doctor who just had medical staff on his list. He used to offer a Capstan full strength to you when you went in for a consultation!

I remember a few occasions when I was young (early 1960s) being taken to the doctor's surgery by my mum; when we walked into the doctor's room, he was sitting there at his desk smoking a cigarette.

Think that would be Dr Bates corner of Southchurch and Rivergreen( I think) Both he and his wife smoked like chimneys, Mrs bates was treating mam for quite a serious lung complaint but he never stopped chuffing away. As Stu said earlier it was normal with no stigma attatched to it what so ever

Think that would be Dr Bates corner of Southchurch and Rivergreen

Close, but not quite :) . It was Doctor Lundie, and in those early days the surgery was a converted row of four houses on Greencroft, opposite the Junior School near Varney Road.

I'd forgotten about Bates; there were (and I think still are) several doctors near that Rivergreen corner

Same with me in Long Eaton - Dr Heddle, one man surgery in his house at the corner of Bradshaw Street.

What my ex worked a the General Hospital we had a semi-retired doctor who just had medical staff on his list. He used to offer a Capstan full strength to you when you went in for a consultation!

I was in the Frank Jacob heart and lung ward of the General in the early sixties...there was an ashtray on the side table,and the girl with the trolley selling papers and kit kats sold cigarettes too.....incredible!

The newsagent on the corner of Rossington Road, Sneinton Dale used to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a young apprentice, I rember one of the guys saying to me,

"You don't drink, You don't smoke... Look at the tax you are avoiding!"

Always amazed me to see mortuary technicians, despite what they see in their job, outside having a fag.

I therefore think they are wasting their time putting warnings on ciggy packets.

Pack in...

I hate naming our forums after folk!

Nicotine is such a demanding drug by itself without the additives.

The way I gave it up,was to put a small photo of my two kids in between the clear cellophane and the pack,worked in no time.

• 3 weeks later...

Four weeks on Saturday since my last smoke. Never thought I would get this far, I went on roll ups because of the cost and after five days felt so clogged up I just stopped, whenever I got a pang I just thought straight away of how I felt on that Saturday and could just dismiss it in a moment.

Really pleased for you mgread, I gave up the weed just over four years ago now, don't know how because I've no will power at all, i had'nt planned on stopping it just happened when I asked my wife not to buy my usual 100 per week from Tesco on shopping day, one catchphrase that comes to mind though is "Don't give up giving up" whenever I thought about having a smoke I used to think of that saying.Now if someone asks me for a light it's good to say "sorry I don't smoke" after saying all that though I've never felt so ill in my life, putting on weight, getting out of breath at the slightest physical exertion but would never have another smoke, as the doctor told me "Glad you stopped because you might not be here in a years time if you had'nt, some incentive eh?

Well done to you and good luck

Rog

Well done MG cant say enough about not smoking

I think it took about a year & a half for me to feel the real benefit, I now want to do stuff that i had given up on years ago like swimming , Waterskiing, etc

I was smoking about 2 1/2 packs a day or should i say they were smoking me

It got so bad that i had one in my mouth & found myself going to light another how dumb.

Anyway keep it up you wont regret it. Derek