'How does your garden grow?'

What's up with you woman??....................ain't you got no wellies, oilskins & sou' wester?.................... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

Ayup, BK and Phil - I expect you all look as fit as you did 20 years ago?  

I think you are all being very rude and disrespectful to a woman who obviously knows there's more to a person than their outward appearance.    She should NOT be an object to be judged.   In fact, I t

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I wonder what the potato does?  I usually just stick mine in the pot as they are and they generally root over winter.

Here are a couple of Thorn Apple bushes that have grown from seed that has lain dormant in the old compost store for some years. I didn't deliberately plant these - they have appeared because I used the old compost in the new raised bed in the garden this year.  They grow as short lived perennials in Southern Europe but as annuals here in the north of the UK.  There will be seeds if anyone wants a few?  The flowers smells slightly like Parma Violet sweets and the seed pod is the big spiky ball in picture No.3.

1. Two Thorn Apple bushes in the new raised bed:

36771731585_98222fac65_h.jpg

2. The flower:

36632303481_21e6e0a7a5_h.jpg

3. The seed pod:

36227186604_891642c051_h.jpg

• Like 3

That would make sense NBL. I will give it a try this week and see what happens.  Roses generally seem to take well from cuttings.

• 5 weeks later...

it has been a mixed year in the garden but one thing that has done better than ever before are the leeks:

36879584034_0f0f0dde56_h.jpg

• 5 months later...

Time to get out and brave the weather.  This section of garden is badly in need of a weeding in preparation for the Dahlia's and Chrsyanthemums in May.

40096225904_f36cf6a8d2_b.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Compo said:

Time to get out and brave the weather.  This section of garden is badly in need of a weeding in preparation for the Dahlia's and Chrsyanthemums in May.

40096225904_f36cf6a8d2_b.jpg

Youre not wrong there, Compo!

It looks more in order than ours.

Today coming home from hospital I have to pass a lot of vineyards and the vines have just been  pruned and I thought what a sad site . You wouldnt think them capable of producing even leaves never mind grapes for wine to be shipped world wide.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Today coming home from hospital I have to pass a lot of vineyards and the vines have just been  pruned and I thought what a sad site . You wouldnt think them capable of producing even leaves never mind grapes for wine to be shipped world wide.

And very good it is too. Had an excellent bottle of Italian red at the weekend! Yummy, slurp! ;)

So, I received my box of 72 mini-plug bedding plants and duly potted them on - this was Saturday. Last night I put them in the greenhouse for safe keeping, not knowing that last night was about to become one of the coldest nights in over a year!  This mornign my little plants were ffrozen solid and about half of them are now dead.  So much for saveing money on bedding plants!  At 8am today it was still -7°C and the ground stayed frozen all day.

Had a bottle of red given to us Jill from a farmer . Barbera which is the only wine we drink as it's the wine from  this area. It was superb lovely velvety taste.

My husband is ordering 3 demigians . His cousin comes up once a year to buy his Barbera. He doesn't like Tuscan wines. Beginning of may we have the Barbera wine festival, fantastic atmosphere. 

• Like 2

My efforts

garden_1-7_(3).jpg

garden_1-7_(4).jpg

garden_1-7_(6).jpg

garden_2010_003.jpg

The arch blew down last year during the storms but I am training the climbing rose and clematis to work it's way along the top of the fence

Rog

• Like 3

Potato flower, we never really look at veg flowers but some of them are quite nice, I grew these in the greenhouse and we had the new potato's for Christmas lunch last year

P1050699.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

Well I have made a start on the growing season, two trays of mesclun salad leaf in the GH today and the first new potato's in containers in the GH tomorrow along with peas chitting it is nice to start a new season.

The days are now longer than the nights and it's just around the corner....

spring_is_just_around_the_corner.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Crazy here!  One day it's in the 80s, the next it's down to freezing overnight.  I've got some Taters in big pots like you suggested.  They are starting to leaf but I have to haul 'em inside at night.

• Like 1

^^^^^Or if you have left the room chuck compost over the haulm, it will grow through again quickly enough.

With outside potatoes I always earth up gradually so if I get a late frost forecast I earth over the haulm and then lay some protection fleece over that.