Never went in the place while it existed and I was old enough to get in pubs, but I must've walked past it hundreds of times as a kid when we went to/from the old Broad Marsh bus station. When I remember it, it probably looked like this (the Home Ales sign at the far end of the road.......other pub The Tower is also just visible on the right)

sawyer.jpg

There was a "Sawyers Arms" on Lister Gate from at least 1860 when the landlords name was John Bickley.

I think the "sawyers Arms in the photographs was built in the 1930s.

I have a map dated 1880when it was a much smaller place.

When the Great Central Railway was being built in the late 1890s the tunnel to Weekday Cross passed near to The Cross Keys and rumour has it that the navvies dug into the cellar and "helped" themselves.

There was a tale back in the sixties that a bunch of Mods from the Dungeon nicked a whole barrel of ale from there, don't know how true it was though.

The rumour centered around the 'mini boys' (cars/vans, not vertically challenged!) who frequented the Dungeon, having nicked it they supposedly took it to a party in Sherwood, but couldn't open the barrel

Looks like a couple of Beech nut and a Chocolate machine - or is it a fag machine?

The Sawyers was a good example of Art Deco by the look of it. Is it still extant?

The Sawyers was a good example of Art Deco by the look of it. Is it still extant?

Not at street level as there are shops there but the building above is still there

Looks like a couple of Beech nut and a Chocolate machine - or is it a fag machine?

Close-up of the same shop a few years later, so the machines may have changed but a reminder of things which used to exist

shop.jpg

When you think about it and modern living we still do have vending machines, they are called "Cash Points" and are all thats required nowadays with somewhere open 24/7. Doesn't hurt to remember when we had wage packets with real money in them and shops that closed sometimes.

Think I will always remember "The Sawyers Arms" from when it was a Berni Inn Prawn Cocktail, Steak with trimmings and Black Forest Gateau. How many of us are still ordering that or similar today?

I remember the Sawyers Arms quite well from visits in the late seventies. Never one of the nicest pubs around town in my memory though.

It seemed to gain a reputation in earlier days for being the scene of many dust-ups between various servicemen on leave for some reason.

Only the one's that weren't tough enough to go in the Towers...................now there was a rough pub!!

• Like 1

Never had the dubious 'pleasure' of The Towers.

Sure I've been to one or two hostelries in Glasgow and environs that would have made it look like a vicar's tea party though.

It was the US & Canadian servicemen that did the fighting, one faction from The Towers and the other from The Sawyers Arms or so my parents told me, as for rough pubs they said "The Loggerheads" was the one with the worst reputation when they were young. Not surprisingly it was in the middle of Narrow Marsh.

Yes, that's what I was told MG. Heard the place got trashed a time or two. I think my old man was involved in one of those occasions whilst staying in the area briefly!

I used to go in the Towers...more tarts than Soho.It was nearly all Canadians in there based at Langar.At that time the Sawyers was a Berni Inn.I was in there one night when some Yanks came in,probably by recommendation...they were gobsmacked to see it had gone all 'respectable'

Another dive was the Denman a few hundred yards away towards Wilford Road.

I did a few Disco's here in the early 1980s... after hours we continued for the staff and used to sleep over in the bar area ( on the benches )before leaving the next morning.

Did many a gig around Nottingham city centre... Admiral Duncan, Hearty Goodfellow and others before having a residency at the Society Club on Lower Parliament Street ( Above the Garage ) which went on to be 'Toppers'.

I remember the society club.

As a young apprentice electrician, I was taken in one night by two of the blokes.

You had to sign in with an address. Mine was put as 1 The Square, Aston, Birmingham. :)

Were going back to early 70s, I cant remember what the club was like inside.

• 2 months later...

There was a tale back in the sixties that a bunch of Mods from the Dungeon nicked a whole barrel of ale from there, don't know how true it was though.

I'll find out, if you like. Any idea when in the 60s?

I was frequenting the Dungeon circa 1966, the rumour was out then, see post #6, reputedly the 'mini' boys, Cupid, Astell & co?? rumour went they took it to a party in Sherwood, but couldn't open the barrel..........................