Favourite Perfume/s or Smell

Don't like perfumes at all and some actually give me an asthma attack, especially the cheap tacky ones.

Love the smell of kippers or smoked mackerel, or coffee first thing in the morning, but strangely I drink tea first thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the fanciable young man wearing Brut was about 6feet 4, super fit and in looks was a cross between Terence Stamp in Far from the Madding Crowd and Robert Redford in Butch Cassidy then you may recog

#53   The smell of lilac always reminds me of the tree at the bottom of the garden when I was a child. We used to make "perfume" by pulling some of the bracts apart and shaking them up in a

They say that smells and sounds are some of the main triggers of memories. Some that take me back are :- The smell of the cheeses when you went into the Co-op grocery department - Going into the

Strange but I love the smell of garlic and anchovy cooking. Basil just touched.Freshly mown grass. I said. This to my neighbour recently and he thought I was mad.

Lavender.....I use loads of essential oil and use it for lots of things. Its so refreshing. Whilst in Scotland a few weeks ago I bought a lavender temple balm from Holland and Barrett.  Its lovely and I keep it in my handbag for quick relief of  a headache . I must get another one when I go up next month. Handy to have

• Upvote 3

Apart from the smell of a new car mentioned in previous post.  I love the smell of the Lilac blossom in spring.  There was a lot of it around Calgary, Alberta.  We had several Lilacs in the back yard.  It was great.

• Upvote 2

The smell of lilac always reminds me of the tree at the bottom of the garden when I was a child. We used to make "perfume" by pulling some of the bracts apart and shaking them up in a small bottle of water. We did the same with orange blossom and rose petals. Simple childhood pastimes...no computer games in those days! ;)

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, banjo48 said:

Don't like perfumes at all and some actually give me an asthma attack, especially the cheap tacky ones.

Love the smell of kippers or smoked mackerel, or coffee first thing in the morning, but strangely I drink tea first thing.

I really can't see Kippers or smoked mackereel after shave/perfume/body spray kinda taking off banjo !  smile2

• Upvote 3

Slight shift of topic, please forgive, we can move back to perfumes again,. This just reminded me of a marching band in Carlton and Netherfield when I was a kid, called the Lilac Dominoes.  Anybody remember them?

My ex used to use Topaz Body Lotion by Avon. I don't know whether or not it's still available, it was thirty odd years ago.

It was quite an appealing aroma I must say. 

Avon had some nice fragrances in the 60s. Blue Blazer for the blokes and Occur for the ladies. 

Avon really screwed up when they launched Windward Passage. What a bloody silly name for an aftershave. It still makes me laugh.

Then Boots launched Jade East in the early 70s. They were trying to compete with Hi Karate but the deodourant spray smelled so bad it was less offensive not to bother using anything.

My wife wears Fabergé Cavale which is hard to get hold of these days but it's very nice. Her "going out" smell is Diorella.

Chanel Antaeus is my signature smell. It costs a lot (don't they all?) so I just don't go out much.

• Upvote 1

In the late 60s, my sister did a bit of Avon representing. The order would arrive in a large cardboard box and boxes for the individual items were supplied packed flat. It was my job to make them up, unpaid of course. I'd go with her on her rounds and carry her blue Avon case. The case and samples were all supplied free in those days. No so now, I'm told.

There was Pretty Peach for little girls, soaps on ropes, some awful perfumes that made Devon Violets smell classy! Occur was one of the worst.

She enjoyed it for a while and had quite a large group of customers.

I always got Avon for Christmas in those days! :rolleyes:

I think you'll find it's just like Jade East deodourant radfordred.

BTW Jill I used to think Avon's Occur was wonderful. Maybe it's a male thing or perhaps the memories of the times and the girl who wore it.

Christmas 1970. I was 20 and used to visit The Boat Club on a Saturday night. George Harrison was No 1 with My Sweet Lord from his wonderful All Things Must Pass album. Heady days indeed.

• Upvote 1

I can understand why Avon Occur might appeal to men as it's quite a strong, masculine fragrance. Too powerful for many females. It must appeal to someone as I believe it is still in their current range or was a few years ago.

I was quite fond of Mary Quant's Havoc in the 70s. No longer available. I like Avon Soft Musk too.  It always seems to be the case that if I like something, it gets axed! :(

Herself was an Avon rep here for years..the bathroom cabinets were always bulging!

Like most things though....it was all shipped to Poland.

The insect repellant I hasten to add was rubbish- my legs served as a Bistro on my two weeks in the Med.

• 6 months later...
On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 2:36 AM, Oztalgian said:

The smell of Lifebuoy/ Coal Tar soap when meeting my dad in the pit canteen after his shift and getting a Blue Riband? chocolate wafer.

Thats Blue Riband off my shopping list I would have thought there where enough Polish here to make them?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39708689

A cousin in France is manageress in a perfumeria and when they visit she always comes laden with samples of many things. She brings all the large bottles of tester perfumes and after shaves etc.

At the moment I have eau de rochas Fraise, black opium, j'dore and boucheron. Husband gets loads of mens face creams and after shave creams including Diego della Palma, 1881, Azzaro blue notte.

Too many to use every day but they are nice and .....free.

• Upvote 1

Late 60's early 70's, for the men Brut 33. We were so sophisticated in those days.

Radford Red #67 What is the world coming too? Despite all the assurances I bet they taste terrible. If people just stopped buying these and other products these multi-national conglomerates would get the message.

#70 Well the tester perfumes would have been given to the shops at a loss to promote fragrances in the shop not for presents for family & friends, we used to make promotional cigarettes that where given away at sporting events, that did not mean we could take them home & share them out!  :sorry:

• 3 years later...

My perfumes at the moment are Boucheron, Chanel 5 although it's now a bit old fashioned I still like it. 

I have 3 lemon trees outside my front door and the smell from the blossom is lovely. Very fresh.

• Upvote 1
On 4/26/2017 at 8:05 AM, radfordred said:

#70 Well the tester perfumes would have been given to the shops at a loss to promote fragrances in the shop not for presents for family & friends, we used to make promotional cigarettes that where given away at sporting events, that did not mean we could take them home & share them out!  :sorry:

Apparently the testers I was given from my cousin were " cast offs. When new perfumes came in the reps were told to offer the older perfumes to the management or throw them away as they couldn't take them back.

• Upvote 1