I don't know if this has been touched on before, but here goes.

When I was a kid, I'd eat liquorice imps, spanish root, flying saucers, kali [you wet your finger and dipped it in] tuffy fags, 1d liqourice [pipe, shoelaces, catherine wheel, all lovely and soft]

Anymore, anyone?.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is this what you mean, EileenH and crankypig?

One of my twin daughters spent a few months back in the old country, couple of years ago, and came back to Oz with an English lolly addiction ! She regularly seeks out the lolly shops specializing in

what about black jacks and flying saucers The black jacks were 4 for a penny i think and flying saucers wher made of rice pare and me3lted in your mouth ( well my mouth really) we can still buy both

Trebor Blackjacks and fruit salad, 4 for a penny. Bonfire toffee.

I forgot about bonfire toffee, my dad made it every Nov 5th, along with peanut brittle.

Remember Mars bars were huge? I remember paying 3d for one. What about Caramac, I loved that one.

Puff candy, (probably not politically correct today) soft, sticky middle covered with milk chocolate, Merry maid caramels 6d a quarter

Roger

Oh and the 3d Lucky bags, a few sweets in there and a little plastic toy, "the toy often tasted better than the sweets"

Roger

Remember Mars bars were huge? I remember paying 3d for one. What about Caramac, I loved that one.

:crazy: Strange how things looked much bigger than they were when young and cheaper too. I remember my first Caramac, well piece of. I was travelling back home with me mum on the top deck of the number 60 bus or was it the 66 to Bilborough from Nottingham, anyroadup it was a bus not a tram as you might have been lead to believe by some unscrupulous members,when me mum turned to me and said would I like a piece of chocolate, well what is one going to do? Refuse! Not Bl00dy lightly.

Ever since that day I have had a weakness for Caramac, it’s not actually a chocolate but a Toffee confection I believe…and s0dding expensive and smaller. Well that’s what I reckon..

cara0001.jpg

I remember going to the paper shop and getting a chewing gum in a flat wrapper, it contained besides the gum, a transfer tattoo which you would wet and stick on the back of your hand. Her who must be obeyed has just reminded me of 1d bubblies.

Her who must be obeyed has also just said that when she was a mere slip of a gal her and her best mate used to go to 'Champies' on the corner of Herbert st and Westville St, in St Annes and get a bottle of cream soda and a load of sweets, 1d bar of cadbury's chocolate, and would go back and watch the box indulging in the delights just purchased. She tells me she used to get the princly sum of 2/- a week pocket money (10p to the uninitiated)

Do you remember the XP or was it the Wrigleys XP chewing gum machines whereas if you spent so much you got an extra one out on the fourth turn of the handle at the side. :tease:

Cadbury's Caramel chocolate bars...still sold today, but not the same without the red wrapper, Kali, Spanish Root, Jubblies,Nibbits....

'Penny drinks', served at corner shops adjacent to schools, from hinged pewter capped bottles ....Redgate's, Corona, Tizer, Whiteway's, Bulmer's etc dispensed into a miscellany of grubby beakers....

And, just for today's 'behaviour police', 5 Park Drive in their especially slimline packets....

Cheers

Robt P.

:crazy: Strange how things looked much bigger than they were when young and cheaper too. I remember my first Caramac, well piece of. I was travelling back home with me mum on the top deck of the number 60 bus or was it the 66 to Bilborough from Nottingham, anyroadup it was a bus not a tram as you might have been lead to believe by some unscrupulous members,when me mum turned to me and said would I like a piece of chocolate, well what is one going to do? Refuse! Not Bl00dy lightly.

Ever since that day I have had a weakness for Caramac, it’s not actually a chocolate but a Toffee confection I believe…and s0dding expensive and smaller. Well that’s what I reckon..

cara0001.jpg

They are smaller Den, remember when Rollos were so big you could use them as spare wheels for the car? Well mini! Even they are smaller, and of course, more expensive.

Chocolate's not the same these days with the manufacturers using cheap veggie fats instead of cocoa butter they used when some of us here were kids.

How about 'A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat, a finger of fudge is just enough until it's time to eat. Full of Cadbury's goodness and very small and neat, a finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat.

Any fruit gums and fruit pastilles in tubes. There was a round caramel in tubes too, I loved them. Fruit gums lasted forever as they stuck to all your back teeth! Aniseed balls were a cheap buy, by the quarter. Same for mint imperials.

Fry's Turkish Delight. Yuk, couldn't stand the stuff [neither could I stand soft centered chocs in a box] Fry's Peppermint Cream bar, and 5 fruit bar were popular.

Did anyone mention the little Flying saucers filled with sherbet (Kay lie?)

They used to dry your mouth up when you first put them in.

And the little tube of sherbet with a licorice straw?

Fishermans friends and thos little hot Cherry balls?

Did anyone mention the little Flying saucers filled with sherbet (Kay lie?)

They used to dry your mouth up when you first put them in.

And the little tube of sherbet with a licorice straw?

Fishermans friends and thos little hot Cherry balls?

I reckon they have all been mentioned Mick..by and by those flying saucers can still be bought.

I remember all of those Katy. We have a shop here in Vic where we can get some overseas goodies & last year I bought a Caramac bar oooooooooooo it was delish lips0

You lucky devil, Caz. IF I can find anything over here, it costs an arm and a leg.

My local Pet shop, sorry Paper shop just one hundred yards away sells Caramac bars and yes as I have mentioned before they are costly.........doesn’t anyone read my posts.....if these bl00dy tablets don't work in the next few hours I'm off down casualty

!sickly!

cara0001.jpg

BiP

I never did like Caramacs... Yuk...

My favorite as a kid was spanish gold, it came in a little sack, looked and smelt like tobacco but tasted of coconut?

The other one was (i think?), golden nuggets which was mishaped lumps of bubble gum that was obviously sprayed gold.

Can anyone remember these...?

Hi pj, I can't remember either of those, the only coconut sweets I remember were coconut mushrooms. Do you remember Horlicks tablets, came in a roll, and Victory V in the winter.