About DJ360

• Rank
    MEGA NOTTSTALGIAN
  • Birthday 02/03/1949

Profile Information

• Interests
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:...
    Music, Hi-Fi, Grandkids, Science, Wildlife, Exercise, Wine, Polite Discussion.
    Dislikes: Fish

Recent Profile Visitors

6,773 profile views
  1. So..the Local Elections are over. I'm not getting deeply into Mayoral Elections etc. We've had Rotheram and Burnham here in Liverpool/Manchester for a good while and Burnham in particular is pretty effective. That said it seems to me that the whole 'Local Mayors' thing is about the Tories trying to further distance themselves from the local effects of their basic National policy of starving Local Authorities of funding. It's interesting to me the the bloke in the North East .. Ben Houchen is it?..seems to be well liked..and 'delivering'. Nothing at all to do with him being a Tory un
  2. Hear Cuckoo's here occasionally. Used to hear them calling from the woods over towards Bestwood Lodge every year when 'aahh wur a lad'.
  3. Where is that PP? I'm no angler.. 'Compleat' or otherwise.. but I can thoroughly recommend a visit to the Ford over the river Dove in Beresford Dale. It's a beautiful spot and of course important to me as it's where my family surname originated. Just upstream towards Hartington is 'Pike Pool', named, not after the fish but the limestone pillar, and also nearby the 'Fishing House' built by James Cotton, an 18th C friend of Walton. Sadly the house more like a minor stately home, is private, though I believe the Beresford Family Society do get access during their annual gathering in the are
  4. Greetings all. Looking like a lovely day here too, but after a long and extremely tiring couple of weeks my bathroom refurb is close to completion, so I can't stop now. That said I do have a few tiny 'plug' plants from Sutton's which need potting up.
  5. Logically, smooth side up for 'floating' flooring such as I'm using. If overlaying with something which needs glueing down, then the rough side makes more sense. Wetting is meant to make the boards expand slightly, so that when laid and nailed they shrink back and pull taut. A bit moot.in small installs maybe. As for nailing.. I see the idea of 'pyramid nailing'. It's meant to have the same effect as, for e.g.smoothing wallpaper from the centre to the edges. To eliminate bubbles. That said, whether it makes much difference in the few aquare metres I'm doing is again a bit moot. I'm c
  6. Still battling with a small Bathroom refurb. If it could go wrong..it has.. and I'm not talking about my own failings for a change.. but faulty products etc... problems ordering stuff and so on.. So anyway.. I'm as certain as I can be that I have prepped the floor for the fitting of 'click vinyl'. That involved lots of sanding and even some planing of old original floorboards plus putting in some new sections. Next will be to put down hardboard lining. Who knew hardboard is supposed to be 'conditioned' for 48 hours by wetting it? Apparently it expands, then shrinks after fitting to prev
  7. The first thing is that your photo/picture MUST exist somewhere on the internet. This because this site will not HOST images, it will only host LINKS to images which exist elsewhere. I used to upload my photos to a well known image hosting site called Flickr, but I've barelu used it lately. So..what I do is upload anything I think is interesting, from my phone, to Google Photos. From there... I can create a link and post that link here. It's not ideal.. but it's better than nowt.
  8. I have always believed in Trade Unions. How else are ordinary workers meant to protect their interests and avoid exploitation? Employers and Govts can band together.. but seemingly not ordinary workers. Rather odd don't you think? It has been patently obvious throughout history that many employers and business leaders will do anything to increase profits and more to the pooint, hold on to political/economic power, including exploiting workers. I am not here to defend any of the more 'lunatic' union tactics and leaders..but a few 'bad apples', such as 'Red Robbo' and . yes Sca
  9. I think it is.. because it is wrapped up in 'culture wars', NeoCon economic 'thinking' and all of the rest. If it may not be true, how can the principle have merit? Stereotypes are never correct, nor do they bear even superficial examination.
  10. Well I certainly can't disagree too much with that.. having been a victim of it myself. In my early days in the Careers Service I was required to put in a simple monthly 'stat', detailing how many Guidance Interviews, Groupwork Sessions, Employer Visits etc., I had done. These were added into whatever reporting was fed back to Central Govt, which was mostly, youth employment/unemployment figures etc. It wasn't an onerous task. I had a caseload of 'schoolies', a section of the 'unemployed' register, a section of the Employer /Training Organisation base and that was it. I was pretty much auton
  11. Spent my day (again) battling with a supposedly simple Bathroom refurb. Expensive products not living up to their 'rep' etc. Item I wanted from Screwfix is suddenly 'out of stock', except the site doesn't say so.. you are supposed to 'divine' it by clairvoyance. Simple 'clacker' basin waste turns out to have defective chrome plating... I won't go on... Try it all again tomorrow. Apparently 'God loves a tryer'.. I think he overlooked me..
  12. As I've said elsewhere.. I'm quite busy at present with a bathroom refurb, so my eye has been off the detail of politics..but... I see the Rwanda Bill has passed. We'll see what it actually DOES., apart from being Part One of the Tory Distraction Plan, in the fullness of time..but meanwhile the boats are still arriving..people are still dying, and nobody has a workable answer. Part Two of the Tory Distraction Plan.. (Just to explain.. for those who still don't understand.. the Tories absolutely cannot defend their appalling record, so they are desperately casting around
  13. I don't have anyone on 'Ignore'. I like to hear what everyone has to say. I'm quite capable of ignoring content I find personally uninteresting etc., and perfectly capable of challenging OR ignoring views I find objectionable.
  14. Carly is a very attractive lady and had some rather 'arresting' album covers back in the day. I recently bought a five album 'retrospective' and to be honest, she is/was a fairly average singer, who came from a very wealthy family. https://www.classicrockhistory.com/top-10-carly-simon-album-covers/
  15. Thing is Kev..there was so much amazing and varied music around at the time, the bar was very high and even excellent songs could sink without trace..